I mentioned it in a couple other threads, but how would yall feel about adding another level of specialization within crafting.

currently, as we all know, you get recipes based on your level, and the quality of product you create is largely based on your skill level.

WIth the exception of basketry you can pretty rapidly get every pattern available for your skill.

I find this boring, and not rally condusive for fostering trade, economy and player crafting rep. In my mind, a skilled crafter should have just as big a rep, if not larger, than a pvpr/general/whatever.

so, what i'd propose would be a slight modification to the existing system.
1. dramatically reduce the recipes that players get from naturally learning. A player should definitely learn enough to be functional...but say a weapon crafter, should maybe naturally learn how to make a half dozen different weapon models.
2. drasticall reduce the recipe scavenge rate. These things should be rare.
3. Introduce a second tier of skill for crafting...your skill at crafting the specific item.

by adding number 3 you introduce a greater degree of specialization to the crafting system...especially once they add in skill degradation. In my brain, your item spec is that like 20-25% of the skill item quality...so you could craft really nice stuff without maxing out the item, but if you wanted to get that 100%, or 110%, or add in that rare resource, you would need to have the item skill maxed out.

Just a thought. I'm a big fan of everyone being a unique as possible...the current crafting mechanisms ensure that a crafter is a crafter is a crafter, with the only difference being their crafting skill, and the level of materials they have available.