Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There is no other way to do it. You really think you can control all baskets indvidually from the totems? I agree we should have chests of 200 slots...and vaults of 1000 slots with tabs for organization.

But still, there are certain areas that would only require a basket or two, and they need to be set individually.

It's not a horrible way of doing things because baskets/bins AREN'T going anywhere. So, we have to deal with it. Also, doors and gates should also use this same system of permissions. Tribe, Personal, Public and Friends is nowhere NEAR specific enough.

They will just add onto baskets with higher volume storage...such as chests and vaults

I know you won't like this because you would prefer to have things working exactly the way you imagine them, but you can set basket permissions by rank just using friends permissions. By "friending" my officers and setting some bins permissions to friends, I've set up officer only storage.

Since this would only make things easier but not add any functionality, I'd prefer the developers work on something else.

Ravelli

Quote Originally Posted by thurgond View Post
    I know you won't like this because you would prefer to have things working exactly the way you imagine them, but you can set basket permissions by rank just using friends permissions. By "friending" my officers and setting some bins permissions to friends, I've set up officer only storage.

Since this would only make things easier but not add any functionality, I'd prefer the developers work on something else.

Ravelli

I agree with this, and I do this. But I would like the option check box to allow ALL objects to be owned by the ones that check the box while in tribal area.

Meaning, say you drop a basket, I could then set the permissions so you could no longer access that basket. Without having to pick it up remove all the items from it, trade it 2 times, then place all the items back in and then put it down to be able to set the permissions.

Then people could set stuff down, and an officer (or someone with the right check box) could then allow other tribe members to access it.

Right now there is also only 4 ranks. All baskets, friends (which also have access outside of tribe), tribe, and public.
    I would like to see 1 or maybe 2 more. Then you could allow people to control some baskets but not others. So say you have 4 working areas. You have, crafting, hunting, combat, and gathering.
    I cant limit someone to crafting only, while allowing someone else to have hunting only.

Ravelli
    What's with the attitude?

You still don't get it. That means ALL of your friends can open it. What if you only want a certain few people to open it. You think four categories is enough (all public, all tribe, all friends, or just yourself) ? What if I don't want my friends, or all tribe members, or the public, but only a certain few tribe members to be able to open baskets? Yes there is the friend way, but what if i want to set up multiple areas with permissions for different groups? Do you see what I am saying here?

It's adds HUGE functionality...what are you talking about?

Not to mention that it wouldn't be difficult or all that time consuming to setup.

Well I'd apologize for the attitude, but I think I nailed it since you aren't happy because things aren't working exactly the way you imagine them.

I enjoy building and killing things more than setting up and administering complicated permission systems for baskets. I just don't feel the need to restrict access to most of the tribes goods. We set up a few bins for officer only access so new recruits couldn't run off with all the screws and old saw blades, gave everyone their own bins and tent, but most stuff is in tribal bins.

If MrDDT wants to set up a "crafter's only" area, he just needs to have a lead crafter who owns the craft bins friend all tribe crafters. Of course, everyone in the tribe will craft at some point, but that's your problem.

The more complicated permissions become, the harder it will be to understand and manage. Even now, since players don't understand how permissions are inherited, most people don't know that "friends" baskets on tribal land are accessible only by friends in that tribe. (5 levels of bin access not 4)

If you haven't examined the code, you don't know how difficult it would be to implement your wishes. If I had a nickle for every time an IT problem turned out to be a "rights thing", I could have retired a couple years earlier.

Ravelli

Well I'd apologize for the attitude, but I think I nailed it since you aren't happy because things aren't working exactly the way you imagine them.

I enjoy building and killing things more than setting up and administering complicated permission systems for baskets. I just don't feel the need to restrict access to most of the tribes goods. We set up a few bins for officer only access so new recruits couldn't run off with all the screws and old saw blades, gave everyone their own bins and tent, but most stuff is in tribal bins.

If MrDDT wants to set up a "crafter's only" area, he just needs to have a lead crafter who owns the craft bins friend all tribe crafters. Of course, everyone in the tribe will craft at some point, but that's your problem.

The more complicated permissions become, the harder it will be to understand and manage. Even now, since players don't understand how permissions are inherited, most people don't know that "friends" baskets on tribal land are accessible only by friends in that tribe. (5 levels of bin access not 4)

If you haven't examined the code, you don't know how difficult it would be to implement your wishes. If I had a nickle for every time an IT problem turned out to be a "rights thing", I could have retired a couple years earlier.

Ravelli

You are correct 5 not 4. I counted wrong.
    Anyways my point is to allow a check box to allow ranks to have access to set permissions of ALL bins on the tribe area. This will allow more than just 1 person to set permissions.

Also another option would be allow a check box on the totem to set ranks on bins and the totem.

So say, you have 2 or more "rank" options on bins.
    Now instead of changing people using "friends" list, you can then use Ranks on the totem to set them. So all bins with rank 1, could be access with people with rank 1 access checked, BUT they would have access to rank 2, 3, 4 etc. unless those were checked.

You can even use this for buildings later.

My main point is the current system does have options of permissions however, it sucks. Having 1 person own bins is very hard to do, that person has to be online to change them all too. Also like I said they cant have access to 1 set of bins, and another group have access to another set of bins. You can have tribe and friends, but you cant have access to 1 set and NOT the other.
    Also these systems work outside of the totem area also, which is a whole other issue.

chmod/chown

You can have a group of tribe members with access to one set of bins and another group with access to another set now. You just have to pass the bins so that ownership changes and have the owners with different friends lists.

But that wasn't my main point. You are always complaining that nothing in the game has value, but you want to set up an elaborate system to protect some of your tribes stuff from some of your tribe's members. I spent years in the real world dealing with permissions. Please believe me when I say that under a too complex and restrictive system people will either:
    1. not be able to do their jobs,
    2. subvert the system (e.g. only use all tribe bins), or
    3. leave because they are unhappy.

Administering such a system would quickly become the sort of bother worth a substantial paycheck, not part of a game where you can have fun.

Ravelli

You can have a group of tribe members with access to one set of bins and another group with access to another set now. You just have to pass the bins so that ownership changes and have the owners with different friends lists.

But that wasn't my main point. You are always complaining that nothing in the game has value, but you want to set up an elaborate system to protect some of your tribes stuff from some of your tribe's members. I spent years in the real world dealing with permissions. Please believe me when I say that under a too complex and restrictive system people will either:
    1. not be able to do their jobs,
    2. subvert the system (e.g. only use all tribe bins), or
    3. leave because they are unhappy.

Administering such a system would quickly become the sort of bother worth a substantial paycheck, not part of a game where you can have fun.

Ravelli

Right now the system is way to hard. Trading baskets back and forth, having to empty them to also. Its not good.

Im asking for more blanket permissions instead of focus item permissions. This will allow people to be set into grouping, instead of based on 1 basket at a time.

Ive spent time in the real world doing the same thing you are asking, and when it was years ago and they didnt have these permissions. It was much much worse.

The system you are saying to do is MUCH hard than the one others are saying int his thread.
    I mean how would you know who is on someone else's friends list to have access to other baskets? You would also have to have that person log in to change those baskets also instead of officers or even tribe leaders to change it.
    Right now tribe leaders can change any basket in the tribe area, but they would have to empty it, pick it up, trade it to someone, then have them trade it back, set the permissions, then put it down and fill it up.

That's a lot harder than putting a check box on the totem for a rank, and then right clicking the basket and setting permissions.

Exactly, he doesn't understand his system is more tedious. Plus, what if you have 10 different groups? You need 10 different characters with friends list that ONLY have specific members on that list.

You have NO idea how it would work (in our tribe anyway). It's not too restrictive, and no people don't get confused. We have a MASSIVE all tribe member basket area, but there also needs to be certain item protections for certain groups.

With all the different qualities of items and such, this is MOST CERTAINLY going to be needed in the future. Why would we allow apprentice tool makers or anyone in general access to the supreme tools bin? You see what I'm saying? Only people who can use the supreme tools efficiently would be able to open the basket, or perhaps officers of rank. It would be even better if there was a check list for each specific MEMBER, so it would be easy to adjust someone's permissions without having to change their rank.