Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pre-order weapons still too powerful

This has been discussed before, but I think it's still a game design issue that needs some attention. I love my pre-order Pillager axe, but…. these things are just too much, compared to what can be made in-game. A tribemate and I did a test of my pre-order vs. a Master Quality Manaba axe. The MAQ axe did only 2/3rds the damage of the pre-order.

To put that in perspective:
    -We’re talking about an MAQ axe here. Not a High Q or Very High Q.
    -To have a chance of crafting an MAQ weapon, the player has to be in the area of 99 Weaponcraft skill. Close to maxed out in that skill, in other words.
    -The player also has to use Master level materials. Off hand I don’t recall the exact materials needed for a Manaba axe, let’s just say: an MAQ handle (requiring 99 Woodcrafting), MAQ leather strap (99 Leathercrafting), MAQ screws and feathers (99 Scavenging). In other words, the item requires materials that come from maxed out skills in four different skill areas. To make one, you (or some trading partners) have to reached the game's very end goal in each skill area.

But, with all this, the Master level axe only does 2/3rds the damage of a pre-order. All other things being equal, with your Master axe you land 3 hits on the other guy for every every 2 times he hits you.

So the bottom line is, you can work your way to the very top of every crafting skill in the game, but you’ll still never produce something equal to a pre-order. And because pre-orders are soulbound, you’ll never be able to obtain one either (by trading or looting). IMO something needs to be done to balance pre-orders with player-craftable weapons. They kind of wreck the incentive to excel in the game and work your way to Master-level crafting skills. Thoughts?

Meh... they don't need to solve that problem, it will solve itself.
    Eventually there will be weapons making more damage than the PO weapons and everyone will forget it ever happened.

I used to think they needed to go but your post just gave me the drive to make a better weapon but why do people talk about master Q like it ends there?

At the best it will be = to supreme. But why would I want to use a supreme ultra rare weapon when I can have this other one that never decays, never leaves me and does the same damage and speed?

This is assuming it will be even equal which I dont think it will.
    Vandal I have no idea how you think it will solve itself. Can you please explain that?
    Where do you get the idea that there will be more better weapons? Also how is that solving itself?

No PO weapons do way to much end of story. They are already way overpowered due to the fact that they never decay and cant be dropped or looted.

Also OP, you forgot master QL thread, and leather scrap to make the leather strap. Which means 99 tailoring.

TBH by the time they start getting the boat turned around all the players with PO weapons will be pretty limited.

they are powerfull but its the fact that they never decay is what will be the problem.and you dont need all those skills on one person thats what your tribes for that guy does leather he makes the supreme straps that guy is a tool crafter he makes the supreme tools ect. But you can do it your self I just start back on weps this morning at 81 atm all the rest I pretty much have checked off.
    Give me a couple of days.

I think there are a few simple ways they could fix the imbalance:
    -Add item decay to POs. Pre-order people get the super benefit for a while, but not forever.
    -Make them tradeable or droppable. People who didn't get a PO still have a chance to get one, if they really want it.
    -Add some more POs to the game. Prizes as guide events, extremely rare scavenge item. Whatever, but get people a shot at getting one. But the chance of getting one would need to balance somehow with the huge amount of work needed to ever be able to craft a Master or Supreme weapon.
    -Lower POs' damage down to something comparable to weapons players can craft.
    But again, the concern is that people need an make the ultra best weapons in the game. With POs the way they are now, that's not even possible.