Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crafting specialization

I mentioned it in a couple other threads, but how would yall feel about adding another level of specialization within crafting.

currently, as we all know, you get recipes based on your level, and the quality of product you create is largely based on your skill level.

WIth the exception of basketry you can pretty rapidly get every pattern available for your skill.

I find this boring, and not rally condusive for fostering trade, economy and player crafting rep. In my mind, a skilled crafter should have just as big a rep, if not larger, than a pvpr/general/whatever.

so, what i'd propose would be a slight modification to the existing system.
    1. dramatically reduce the recipes that players get from naturally learning. A player should definitely learn enough to be functional...but say a weapon crafter, should maybe naturally learn how to make a half dozen different weapon models.
    2. drasticall reduce the recipe scavenge rate. These things should be rare.
    3. Introduce a second tier of skill for crafting...your skill at crafting the specific item.

by adding number 3 you introduce a greater degree of specialization to the crafting system...especially once they add in skill degradation. In my brain, your item spec is that like 20-25% of the skill item quality...so you could craft really nice stuff without maxing out the item, but if you wanted to get that 100%, or 110%, or add in that rare resource, you would need to have the item skill maxed out.

Just a thought. I'm a big fan of everyone being a unique as possible...the current crafting mechanisms ensure that a crafter is a crafter is a crafter, with the only difference being their crafting skill, and the level of materials they have available.

1, 2 and 3. Yes
    Nothing more to say.

No.. As said in other threads Trade is not a problem due to the ability of people to craft things.. Trade is a non issue until we get more people in game.

This is not Wow where only big time guilds etc have the opportunity to make/craft/do/access everything. Nor should it ever have a system put into place that would limit what people can and can not do. (other then what the dev's themselves have in mind for the game)

Just love these threads where people want to put a limit on what other people can do. /sarcasm

BTW DDT.. Why does it say your "Xsyon Guest" .. did your subscription run out?

I support anything that promotes trade and makes each character feel useful in a group setting.
    I may be misunderstanding you Dubanka but do you mean that you would invest points into specific items, like bear claw knife? That would allow you to make the best bear claw knives in the game? (this could be an interesting idea if this is what youre saying)
    or just specialize in weapon crafting?

In response to wolfgar

Why would you trade for goods you can make yourself? If they did specialization or skill caps this would cause trade to happen regardless of population (within reason).

WOW, at least when i quit, had become a bunch of casual player whiners that wanted the same purples that many guilds put 1000s of man hours into getting those items. And it seemed like, at least at the time, those players got that.

Maybe they could put in a mega soft cap that once you reach 300 points in skills.. each skill point in any skill will take 10 times the number of combines the last skill point took.. So you could be the solo master.. but you will pay for it with time.
    But i support a hard or soft cap or possibly a specialization system.

Quote Originally Posted by darkviper1 View Post
    I may be misunderstanding you Dubanka but do you mean that you would invest points into specific items, like bear claw knife? That would allow you to make the best bear claw knives in the game? (this could be an interesting idea if this is what youre saying)
    or just specialize in weapon crafting?
    that's exactly what i'm saying.

like in the movies...epic journey to the reclusive swordsmith, to make the uber sword of doom. you really could be renowned for your crafting if you can lay claim to being able to craft the best [x] in the game. you are a master woodworker with a focus in small wooden rods, and a master weaponsmith with an emphasis in the blade of terror. voila. you can potentially make something unique that no one else can lay claim to.

in the current system..meh, not so much specialization.

and wolfgar, you can still make stuff, you just wont be able to the the 'best' at everything. so, i can specialize and hit 100+% uber mastery, while if you lack the specialization you might hit 85% with perfect ingredients...definitely functional, but not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgar View Post
    No.. As said in other threads Trade is not a problem due to the ability of people to craft things.. Trade is a non issue until we get more people in game.

This is not Wow where only big time guilds etc have the opportunity to make/craft/do/access everything. Nor should it ever have a system put into place that would limit what people can and can not do. (other then what the dev's themselves have in mind for the game)

Just love these threads where people want to put a limit on what other people can do. /sarcasm

I have more than one account. It ask the Mods why it says Xsyon Guest, and its nothing to do with my account running out.

About the thread.

Trade is one of the problems why there is a lack of players. If these things like Dub is talking about there would be more players to trade, because this system supports better trade. Yes players are the main cause of trade, but without a good system to support it players wont play, let alone trade.

This isnt limiting what people can do, its limiting how they do it. No one is stopping 1 player from making all the best stuff, its just making it harder for them to make all the best stuff. Ive already said this before.

Dub,
    I love this idea. It promotes trade and people to spec. I would like to see how they balance items in game first, because I would hate to see every weapon-smith going axes because its the best, or going clubs because its the best.

Ah. That could be really cool.. but might have to make it specialization into weapon types that only they will get access to. But specific weapons could work.

Adding in specialization in handle making you could definitely make some interesting combinations with weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    and wolfgar, you can still make stuff, you just wont be able to the the 'best' at everything. so, i can specialize and hit 100+% uber mastery, while if you lack the specialization you might hit 85% with perfect ingredients...definitely functional, but not the best.
    What you mean is at the sametime. If he wants to retrain to something else he could do it. Its just going to take time.

I had a tribemate earlier who asked for a refund and left the game (before launch). He came back later and the devs let him to try it out again to check if it improved. He got Xsyon Guest title, he didn't have to buy the client still he could play. Subscription wasn't a question since this happened before launch.

I'm not saying its the same with DDT's account, this is just some information.

While I do like the Second tier idea there is a lot more in crafting then most people think.There is a lot of factors going on when crafting something.Even if lets say 2 guys are 100 skill in tools and both craft a master saw sure there both masters but there not going to be even in Quality or effects when using them.Theres a lot more to crafted items that are not shown.That is what I think really makes the diff in crafting.

But yes I think it needs something a lil more to make some stuff needed or wanted by players.

rare recipes from scaving that you can only use 1 time.

very rare random stat on weps and armor but maybe only 1 or 2

rare mats that you add to recipes that Might give a bonus or even maybe slight new look for weps or armor

I think thats all you really need at least for the time being.