Add ruined and partially functioning pre-war bldgs

Ok, for something to PvP over, how about adding a few ruined buildings from before the apocalypse? They could be partially functioning, and give some kind of bonus to the owner. They cannot be in safe zones.

An example: you find an abandoned radio station, and it is off the air. You find some generators, and if you can scrounge up some gas, you could start a broadcast. If you do that, then everyone in your tribe gets a bonus. Other tribes will naturally want to take that away and own if for themselves.

Agree

I agree on this one, seeing old post apocolyptic buildings would add to the indepth feeling of the game and would actually encourage camp growth (IE: Ruined old church where a tribe sets up next to, utilizing the old building for whatever needs).

The radio station is a good idea, excellent actually and I agree it should need rare parts/ resources in order to work. As the mist goes away and the new zones open up, finding an old school with a bus inside of it would give the tribe the ability to mine/ gather major resources from that particular area and load it all up on the bus for easy transportation, but if someone raids you they could potentially get the bus from you. It should also require new tires and other rare items to get it to run though. Gasoline for it being the rarest of all the resources it would need.

A movie that strongly relates to any survival of a post apoloclypse is Water World. Granted, its on the oceans but everything, I mean EVERYTHING they used was salvaged/scavanged from wrecks etc. Only other movies that can relate to it is "The Road" or "Book of Eli". Another film is "Battlefield Earth" even though its more far fetched in its own way.

A bonus to what???

Id rather go the very low tech approach that the game allready have going... radio broadcasting? Busses? erm no thx. ruined buildings are fine imo and add to the flavor of the post-apocalypse which so far has only really been the junk piles. These should not retain any functionality whatsoever and just be a place to find cover and shelter, Period. To read from the games tagline "A world that once existed only in the realm of mythology, legend and imagination has become concrete and very real. You have forgotten the past and are welcomed by a new primitive future." Id much rather see the game explore that.

It could be simple as a morale boost which would give you temporary +levels in the skills of your choice and a 5% hp boost (whatever seems balanced)

but whats the point in that? we cant use that morale boost for anything meaningful, really. something meaningful would mean like a boost to damage for the legion across the other side of the world who is in contested lands fighting for resources or a totem. They could sure use the +bonus. I think something like this adds in a lot more strategy to the games tribal warfare and pvp. Or a boost to all tribal crafters chance at producing higher qualities.

Maybe capturing the area would generate some free items...like a slow generation of a rare resource that gives +bonus stats. It's pretty simple to give incentive for fighting over some landmark (other than the fun of the no safe zone PVP)

The problem is that there is nothing to fight over. Adding some kind of unique or rare resource that cannot be put into a safe zone would help give us something to do.

Don't like the high-tech radio idea? How about this: you stumble across an old building and find a water well in it. If you can activate the well, all of your tribe has infinite water and doesn't need to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by billpaustin View Post
    The problem is that there is nothing to fight over. Adding some kind of unique or rare resource that cannot be put into a safe zone would help give us something to do.

Don't like the high-tech radio idea? How about this: you stumble across an old building and find a water well in it. If you can activate the well, all of your tribe has infinite water and doesn't need to drink.
    Yeah different types of powerups lke this to fight over around the world would definitely add conflict

bill, im not saying its a bad idea. I fully agree that there should be more stuff to fight over and a design that allows you to capture an objective for some sort of a bonus or resource is a good idea. But it has to be done within the premises of the game. I like the waterwell concept actually, I dont like the "no thirst" bonus.

Lets say that thers an area where the water is tainted but its otherwise rich in other resources, thers a waterwell and you can only use it if you control it, but you still physically have to go there to drink. In the area, water is an important resource that you cant come by otherwise so the well becomes important by lack of something that is otherwise basic. Now that would work quite "well". hoho.

Quote Originally Posted by banden View Post
    bill, im not saying its a bad idea. I fully agree that there should be more stuff to fight over and a design that allows you to capture an objective for some sort of a bonus or resource is a good idea. But it has to be done within the premises of the game. I like the waterwell concept actually, I dont like the "no thirst" bonus.

Lets say that thers an area where the water is tainted but its otherwise rich in other resources, thers a waterwell and you can only use it if you control it, but you still physically have to go there to drink. In the area, water is an important resource that you cant come by otherwise so the well becomes important by lack of something that is otherwise basic. Now that would work quite "well". hoho.
    That's good. Another sandbox game, Ryzom, has outposts that once owned, produce buffing resources. Some of them are XP buffs, others boost stuff like strength, etc. These have to be fought over and won to get the resources.

Of course, getting access to special resources wouldn't need a building, a special farmsite might produce triple, due to the good soil. etc, etc. I think it'd be cool to have some ruins, make them glow at night too