Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you think/hope zombies will be like?

I want to know the opinions of other players regarding the implementation of undead.

A few ideas to get started; I think they should form bands which raid your camp every so often in game. This will give us a reason to build and maintain fortifications. We can work together to take down an army of zombies which would destroy any one of us alone. There could be zombi camps which we can make quests of raiding/ looting. Zombi groups could breed and tame mutant/undead animals and use them in battle as well.

Summary Of Ideas here so far:

-I think they should form bands which raid your camp every so often in game. This will give us a reason to build

and maintain fortifications. We can work together to take down an army of zombies which would destroy any one of us

alone.

-There could be zombi camps which we can make quests of raiding/ looting.

-Zombi groups could breed and tame Mutant/Undead animals and use them in battle as well.

-Hoards of zombis could guard rare resources

-single zombies can show up and surprise you, they seem to come right out of the ground. You never know when one

will pop up, even in a safe zone (courtesy of Billpaustin)

-zombies gravitate to each other, and to living people. So towns tend to attract and accumulate hordes of zombies

(eventually). Thinning them out is almost mandatory if they start grouping up.(courtesy of Billpaustin)

-zombi presence in town can speed totem decay. If an entire camp does not log in, then there tribal area can be

overrun and eventually captured by zombies. Abandonned homesteads would then eventually turn into zombie camps

which can be destroyed/captured by any player.

-I would also make different kinds of zombies, based on the people they used to be. Fighting zombies, crafting

zombies, gathering zombies, etc. (courtesy of Billpaustin)

-masses of zombies could come from the mist and or reproduce in abandoned camps but people killed by zombies could

cause a zombie version of you to spawn in that spot the following night

-zombies can loot players they kill. if the best pvper in the world got taken down by 15 zombies and I happen to

kill one of them while he's at the loo or something, I could find that pvper's good axe.(Courtesy of Book)

- Give zombies the chances to VERY rarily to have an item that isn't craftable which is superior to crafted

items.(Courtesy of VeryWiiTee)

-A religious component be able to keep them from spawning inside my camp. Maybe a trinket a shaman or priest can

make that I hang by my gate as one example. (Courtesy of Book)

The hard part will be the difficulty curve. A new player who has just rammed his first totem into the ground
    somewhere in the mountains needs to be able to survive while a whole tribe of high-level players still needs to
    find a challenge. The threat level of zombie attacks needs a lot of variation. Both new solo players and large
    tribes of high-level players need to find an appropriate and survivable challenge. (courtesy of Larsa)

A means to this end could be to have a variety of specie of zombi. Zombis could gravitate towards certain camps
    based on the levels of and number of members of that camp. If the tribe is a new players homestead, it would
    attract maybe 2-3 low level zombies per day. However if a tribe has 20 low level players, 10 medium lvl players and
    2 high level players, a hoard consisting of 40 weak zombies, 20 moderate difficulty zombies and 1 or two boss-level
    zombies.

Some of the different types of zombies could include
    [Mindless types, which are fairly weak.
    Mutant types which are warped from the radiation. Could be weaker, but super fast. Or maybe slow but takes a lot of
    damage like armored zombie.
    Some that are very smart, using weapons, guns, tools, magic etc other types of stuff.] (Courtesy of MrDDT)
    Some that are beefy and intimidating like the SuperMutants of Fallout
    Some that are like bosses, taking them down would be similar to a boss-battle. These could be like the

SuperMutantBehemoths of Fallout, which are 3 stories tall.

Having few of these very powerful boss-type zombies/mutants wandering the map would be very cool. If you see one of

these while out alone scavenging, youll have to run away and assemble a posse to be able to take it down.

I hope they guard rare resources, or are somehow into play there. I also hope they attack tribe towns as decent size groups....this would actually force people to put up walls Safe zones don't protect from PVE

Edit: unless they can't fix the AI where mobs walk over walls and steep terrain we can't walk over that won't really work though

I think there should be at least two different things:
    - single zombies can show up and surprise you, they seem to come right out of the ground. You never know when one will pop up, even in a safe zone.
    - zombies gravitate to each other, and to living people. So towns tend to attract and accumulate hordes of zombies (eventually). Thinning them out is almost mandatory if they start grouping up.

I would also make different kinds of zombies, based on the people they used to be. Fighting zombies, crafting zombies, gathering zombies, etc.

And where do zombies come from? Everytime you get killed, a zombie is born LOL And he wants YOU :P

i liked the idea of zombies spawning in decaying or unattended totem areas.

I agree that there's a need for more PvE and zombies seem like a good candidate for it.

The hard part will be the difficulty curve. A new player who has just rammed his first totem into the ground somewhere in the mountains needs to be able to survive while a whole tribe of high-level players still needs to find a challenge. Honestly, I wouldn't know how to balance it.

I like some of the suggestions in this thread (great if zombies could take down abandoned settlements!) but the threat level of zombie attacks needs a lot of variation. Both new solo players and large tribes of high-level players need to find an appropriate and survivable challenge.

I would also make different kinds of zombies, based on the people they used to be. Fighting zombies, crafting zombies, gathering zombies, etc.

And where do zombies come from? Everytime you get killed, a zombie is born LOL And he wants YOU :P
    I think masses of zombies should come from the mist and or reproduce in abandoned camps but people killed by zombies could cause a zombie version of you to spawn in that spot the following night

B_ulam, thats a good idea if they can prevent it from being exploited.

The way I see zombies are many different ones.

Maybe like:
    Mindless types, which are fairly weak.
    Mutant types which are warped from the radiation. Could be weaker, but super fast. Or maybe slow but takes a lot of damage like armored zombie.
    Some that are very smart, using weapons, guns, tools, magic etc other types of stuff.

I would love to see armies of zombies coming from the mist in waves, being controlled by smarter types of creatures. A huge force which, you couldnt solo kill, you would need a well armed, well focused team to cut through the waves of zombies then attacking the controllers or something.

You could even make something like that an event, where a guide, or a dev is controlling these armies and in game on the leader mutant zombie or something.

Yes, that would be one way to give the game conflict without PVP. There would have to incentive other than the fun of killing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalGooey View Post
    Yes, that would be one way to give the game conflict without PVP. There would have to incentive other than the fun of killing, though.
    Well of course. You can loot stuff, or maybe even skin zombies for "human" or maybe even a new bone like "mutant" bones. Plus random loots a zombie might have, like a tool, or armor/weapon. Maybe it was a basketmaking human before it was a zombie and has baskets on it. Who knows.

Rather like the idea of zombies being similarly equipped as humans and perhaps offering similar loot.

Maybe if I choose to do a corpse run, I might find 3 zombies picking over my corpse. I'd have to fight them if I want my stuff back. If I don't do the corpse run, loot goes to zombie equipment maybe a few weeks later I kill one and find my lucky chisel!
    Or if the best pvper in the world got taken down by 15 zombies and I happen to kill one of them while he's at the loo or something, I could find that pvper's good axe.

Doesn't necessarily help remove items from the game for the economy, but not sure it's any worse for the economy than pvp looting either. Similar concept.

Also, wouldn't mind seeing a religious component be able to keep them from spawning inside my camp. Maybe a trinket a shaman or priest can make that I hang by my gate as one example.

No, not scared and wanting to impose safety. Just thinking of the folks with 3 year olds at home that might drag them away from the screen often. Would suck to always come back to a dead toon while at camp.