Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JCatano View Post
    Dropping safety totems on new areas causing a lower chance of rare resources is a huge fail, in my opinion.

Macro inside the safe zone, or step just outside of the perimeter and have a the full chance of success while being able to move right back across the invulnerable line if attacked.
    Carebears will love this, til they are like. "There is nothing to do in game, Im so bored" "No one wants to trade, everyone has everything they need or ever want" "Resources are too easy to get, way to common"

I mean, havnt we heard enough of this already? Do we really need to keep making the same mistakes over and over again?
    But again the few squeaky wheel carebears on the forums, they know best right? More safe totem areas please to fix the issue we are having with too many safe totem areas.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Carebears will love this, til they are like. "There is nothing to do in game, Im so bored" "No one wants to trade, everyone has everything they need or ever want" "Resources are too easy to get, way to common"

I mean, havnt we heard enough of this already? Do we really need to keep making the same mistakes over and over again?
    But again the few squeaky wheel carebears on the forums, they know best right? More safe totem areas please to fix the issue we are having with too many safe totem areas.
    The gripes you mentioned there have been uttered by more than a few who wouldn't take pride in carebearhoodishness... and didn't we already address the squeaky wheels? So long as they squeak equally, the cart can move forward without deviating. Seems to me there's plenty of squeak to go around.

"There's nothing to fight over!" I think this could be considered an attempt to address that. I mean, if you hang out by a rare spot, chances are you'll find someone to pummel.

Will rare spots be rare? Who knows, I don't, you don't, well someone does know but we'll never get it out of them.

Will someone be able to run from a rare spot to their totem? Could be, how heavy is the rare? Anyone know?

How far will the rares be from the totems? Anyone know?

Today is Smurf Day... Anyone know that? Yup, Peyo's birthday is apparently today. Also learned there's apparently THREE lady smurfs. That alone rocked my world.

Must go finish my purple quilt ftw...

btw, we're talking about 50 expansion zones out of how many? This you might actually know, I haven't bothered to count. What you don't know is what the remainder of the expansion zones will look like. I don't know that either. I might even say nobody actually knows that one I don't even know that these 50 are permanently going to be like this... we don't know anything, except of course that the real name for smurfs is actually Schtroumpfs. Bet you didn't know that huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    The gripes you mentioned there have been uttered by more than a few who wouldn't take pride in carebearhoodishness... and didn't we already address the squeaky wheels? So long as they squeak equally, the cart can move forward without deviating. Seems to me there's plenty of squeak to go around.

"There's nothing to fight over!" I think this could be considered an attempt to address that. I mean, if you hang out by a rare spot, chances are you'll find someone to pummel.

Will rare spots be rare? Who knows, I don't, you don't, well someone does know but we'll never get it out of them.

Will someone be able to run from a rare spot to their totem? Could be, how heavy is the rare? Anyone know?

How far will the rares be from the totems? Anyone know?

Today is Smurf Day... Anyone know that? Yup, Peyo's birthday is apparently today. Also learned there's apparently THREE lady smurfs. That alone rocked my world.

Must go finish my purple quilt ftw...

btw, we're talking about 50 expansion zones out of how many? This you might actually know, I haven't bothered to count. What you don't know is what the remainder of the expansion zones will look like. I don't know that either. I might even say nobody actually knows that one I don't even know that these 50 are permanently going to be like this... we don't know anything, except of course that the real name for smurfs is actually Schtroumpfs. Bet you didn't know that huh.
    That's DDTs whole point. Their cannot be safe totems on rare resources, or even within a few hundred meters. It just won't work. It will make the rare resources SIGNIFICANTLY less rare. Half a zone of running (500m) to the rare resources sounds balanced enough. That's not too far for the care bears is it? I thought I was being generous with the 500m suggestion.

However far you set that distance to, that's exactly where the safe zones will sit. As many as can exists, all around the rim. People will fight more over that rim spot than they will the resources. Oh wait, they won't be able to fight for those! I guess it's first come first served.

It seems to me that Xsyon doesn't plan rare resource hubs. He plans the normal junkpiles to produce rare stuffs time by time...they will be rare no matter what, not depending on safe zones or whatever. If a recipe pops up once in a month then it will be rare no matter if you gathered it in a safe zone or outside.

I guess the goal was to make people spend more time outside of their safe zones gathering stuffs since the chance to get something rare will be definitely higher out in the world.

6. 06-24-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    It seems to me that Xsyon doesn't plan rare resource hubs. He plans the normal junkpiles to produce rare stuffs time by time...they will be rare no matter what, not depending on safe zones or whatever. If a recipe pops up once in a month then it will be rare no matter if you gathered it in a safe zone or outside.

I guess the goal was to make people spend more time outside of their safe zones gathering stuffs since the chance to get something rare will be definitely higher out in the world.
    Thing is, I dont see his plan forcing people outside the safe totem area. Even if it did, moving 2 feet into safe totem area is pretty freaking easy, and he plans it to be easy to get away.

You guys are so defensive it's ridiculous. I'm saying IF it goes the way we've heard it's planned (safe zones on rare resources). Not saying that's how it will be. Troll bait? Dude, so far Xsyon has said NOTHING about restrictions on where you can place the safe zones in the new lands. So we are going to assume all 50 zones can have totems placed. By rare resources people didn't just mean "add more human heads to scavenging". They meant rare resource hubs where no safe zones can be placed. To gather these rare resources you have to risk death (you can even go naked and risk nothing other than death..honestly). I'm not hating on care bears, I'm saying that even 500m is too much for most of them. They want safe zones ON rare resources.

edit: i guess book deleted his post

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Thing is, I dont see his plan forcing people outside the safe totem area. Even if it did, moving 2 feet into safe totem area is pretty freaking easy, and he plans it to be easy to get away.
    Getting a rare stuff will have much less chance inside a safe zone so I guess people will be out to gather...and not everyone lives 2 feet from a junkpile. But all this is irrelevant from the point of if it is rare or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post

i think design wise, you get more people venturing out if they KNOW spot A gives ubersuperduperthingamajig on a regular basis...much more than, uh, this huge area gives out the ubersuperduperthingamajig 1 out of every 1000 attempts.

EXAMPLE: In shadowbane they did a thing called 'hot zones'. in hotzones you got double xp, and rare things (stat runes, resources, etc) dropped on a very frequent basis. certain areas (ie. the expansion zones that had the expansion resources that were required to make all hi end armor and weapons) had much much higher populations during their hot zone periods. The zones still dropped the stuff when they werent hot zones, but were typically pretty empty excepting leveling groups. During hot zone windows they were flooded with people trying to gather the drops or gather the players trying to gather the drops. Summary: no hotzone...empty area...not worth someones time for a 1:1000 drop, with hotzone, full area, as drop rate was dramatically increased.

make a zone where the resource drops.
    make the drop rate increase as you approach the interior.
    dont allow players to plant totems in that zone.
    every zone around that area gets active as players jockey for totem spots and try to pick off players headed to the expansion zone.
    the actual zone becomes really active as players try to gather the resource, gather the gathers or protect gatherers from the gatherer gatherers.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalGooey View Post
    You guys are so defensive it's ridiculous. I'm saying IF it goes the way we've heard it's planned (safe zones on rare resources). Not saying that's how it will be. Troll bait? Dude, so far Xsyon has said NOTHING about restrictions on where you can place the safe zones in the new lands. By rare resources people didn't just mean "add more human heads to scavenging". They meant rare resource hubs where no safe zones can be placed. To gather these rare resources you have to risk death (you can even go naked and risk nothing other than death..honestly).
    lol, I deleted my post because it seems I misunderstood what Xsyon's plan was. My understanding was what you're saying, rare things like tar and/or other things that we don't know about yet.

If you take tar for instance, that is heavy! I was thinking we didn't know what rares he meant in particular and how heavy it would be. We didn't know how far he meant. Depends on implementation which we don't know enough about (I thought) but it sounded to me like he was doing this because he heard what people were saying and thus adapted in a way that would have a chance to work.

As far as being defensive. You can't possibly imagine how insanely sick and tired I am of hearing this "carebear this" "carebear that" crap over and over when someone doesn't get what he wants. It's beyond old. Pisses me off. Or did you not think carebears ever got pissed? You'd be surprised the teeth on them things and a number of them are actually barely rehabilitated axe murderers.

Edit: what I thought was going to happen in the 50 expansion areas is what Dub is talking about above... is everyone in agreement that this is in fact NOT what Xsyon was saying? I don't feel like digging through the posts to re-read cuz BC2 is calling... help me out here.