Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Before this gets out of hand, I need to clarify a few things.

Rare materials are distributed throughout the world, so no one will be able to set camp and gather all the rare resources they want from nearby areas. They will have to explore, trade or set up quests for others to bring them what they need. There is also a distribution of common items. The best quality leather and bones will be gathered only through hunting. So there will be plenty of reasons to risk exploration.

The farther away from safe zones the greater the chance of finding rare resources, the closer to safe zones, there is less of a chance. There isn't a border or rim at the edge of a safe zone between 'easy' and 'hard' to find rare resources.

When we add expansion claim totems, these will increase the chance of rare items being found, in essence creating resource nodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    Edit: what I thought was going to happen in the 50 expansion areas is what Dub is talking about above... is everyone in agreement that this is in fact NOT what Xsyon was saying? I don't feel like digging through the posts to re-read cuz BC2 is calling... help me out here.
    correct, what i mention is exactly what is not happening. What is happening is no different than now, just in the expansion areas, you'll now have an opportunity to scavenge a rare resource...in the expansion zones.

so yes. 50 new zones. potentiallly all with rare resources. I'm trembling with excitement. That means each active player will get their own personal zone to play in

I actually would prefer that new zones not have safe totems in them, but if siege mechanics aren't ready to roll out, I see why there's no point in allowing people to build minus the safe zone. Most wouldn't anyway, they'll just gather what they want, then die their way back to their totem (unless they start suffering some pretty harsh death penalties for doing that). Being static without being able to build anything defensible would be to open oneself up to constant harassment.

So given that, I personally would rather see new areas not be open to settlement but instead be open pvp areas until and unless sieges and fortification and all that good stuff are in. Guess I'm siding with the pew pew crowd on this one.

@Xsyon

Thank you for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenchfoot View Post
    @Xsyon

Thank you for the clarification.

Could certainly make things interesting in the less populated areas.

AH, I think I'm getting it.

So in the expansion zones coming up, if I find a junk pile, it's actually in my best interest to NOT drop a safe zone anywhere near it so I will have a better chance for finding rare things. It's also better for me to go far away from my safe zone entirely, leaving me more vulnerable to attack.

So someone, in theory, who didn't really care much about finding a rare but wanted to be more of a thief... could go set up shop in the new zones and make a killing (bad pun, I know.) He/she won't care about having a safe zone there, and I would be far from mine to get more rares... It would suddenly make more sense for someone to come out and kill a stranger on a nearby junkpile as there's a much better chance they're carrying a rare if you've never seen them before...

Rare resources (and even some common scavenged resources) will be distrubuted throughout the world, not just the new zones. The key is the distribution. You won't be able to sit in one place and gather all you need, which is what some of you are worried about. It will have to be obtained through travel, trade or questing.

Yes, Book, exactly.

This should liven things up and give the pker crowd some moving targets. I better go put some more points into stealth. Still not quite sneaky enough yet to get past them, and I sure as heck can't bludgeon them to death with my fantastic crafting skills.

Thanks Xsyon for the update. Cant wait to see how it really is once its put into the game.

It's an interesting mechanic that's for sure.

Some people might say 'It draws pvp/foreigners to your door step.'? hehe

I wonder....

If I made two alt tribes far apart, then the members of each tribe swap home towns so rares are right outside their door would work? ie. belong to tribe X, but live in tribe Y's town.