Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bummer...

Chopping down fallen trees does not level you. I asked devs and they told me (and I have posted it here before).

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    Chopping down fallen trees does not level you. I asked devs and they told me (and I have posted it here before).
    uhm....

the patch notes do say:

Character:
    - Character gains skill through hunting.
    - Character gains skill through logging and chopping logs.
    - Looting, opening and hunting works while swimming.

Lightbulb Leveling Logging

I chose logging and woodworking as my main skills and it has been a bit disappointing to say the least. Mostly because people keep clearing all the trees in our area (because we are out away from the mainland areas so I guess they think it's not going to offend anyone?) Leaving a choice for us of doing the same thing, or hoping for a change to the mechanics of logging.

So I think I have a better solution than what I have read previously. (Chopping large logs into small logs then into firewood). Rather than chopping 24 small logs from a massive fir tree in one fell swoop (in 20 seconds no less), why not chop short logs and get ONE log at a time? Then repeat this until the tree is gone yielding 24 logs. It would help discourage clear cutting, and provide level gains for us loggers without clearing the forest just to gain skill. It could take 20 seconds per log, that's 3 logs per minute (at best) and 8 minutes to chop down a large Fir tree or one minute for an small Aspen tree. Currently it takes an average 15 trees for one skill up, which could be achieved by cutting an average 2-3 trees into individual logs rather than 15 trees. It would take more work to level but use much less resources. The suggestions I have seen of chopping large logs into small logs then into firewood still serves only to clear cut everything into firewood leaving no resources behind other than firewood. Feedback welcome

there will be a general tree respawn at some point.. PLUS you will eventually be able to plant your own trees

Uhm, I don't see a major deforestation problem as there were after the launch.

I suspect it takes in general takes 3-6 chops (chopping the tree down, chopping iinto logs both counts). So it won't exactly be 'easy' to level.

Quote Originally Posted by VeryWiiTee View Post
    Uhm, I don't see a major deforestation problem as there were after the launch.
    Well I think that may be because there are very few people playing at this point, and I bet most of the loggers have already leveled there logging. So you wouldn't see as much deforesting, though contrary to what you have observed out in front of our place is quite barren. Now imagine the game with hundreds of active new players. You probably won't see a tree anywhere. Perhaps that is the devs intention, to make trees a rare resource. From the post I read most people don't want that.

All the new logging mechanics (this patch) did was add one more action making it two actions per tree. 1)Felling the tree 2)cutting it into logs).

The point I was making is that it is a bit unrealistic to take four swings and produce 24 logs from a felled tree. It seems more realistic and more practical to me to harvest a tree by felling it, then cutting the tree into logs one log at a time and leveling your logging skill that way rather than just mowing down trees and cutting them into firewood.

One thing I know for sure...Grayeagle is out there picking up all the cut down trees people leave behind