Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Animals?

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    Curious about this... I know for sure that I've seen bears cross water in the past. Had a bear chase me into a river, down the river, and then across the river.

So, is it all animals that cannot cross water or just some? Perhaps this no crossing of water was implemented with the last ai changes?

Been thinking for a while that there should be some way to get away from animals in a game with player-driven resource management. If a base population is needed for animals to breed, and animals grow in difficulty as they age over time... I wouldn't want to kill every animal I come in contact with or mistakenly aggro.

Other ways to implement that, not really looking to debate if this is the best solution, just bringing it up. Other ideas of how to address that are cool too.
    They can cross water. They cant walk on stone of any type, which is what most water areas has (limestone).

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    They can cross water. They cant walk on stone of any type, which is what most water areas has (limestone).
    oooh, okay, so they can cross deep water by swimming across, but if the water is too shallow, they can't walk across, gotcha. Thanks.

That does seem like very silly ai behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    oooh, okay, so they can cross deep water by swimming across, but if the water is too shallow, they can't walk across, gotcha. Thanks.

That does seem like very silly ai behavior.

Its not about being too shallow or not. Its about rock or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jemmus View Post
    I'm thinking this is part of the problem. (Bears do kill deer in the game-- got screens of it). The animal vs. animal eco-system is out of balance. The top predators (bears, maybe coyotes too?) are eating/driving off the deer and maybe raccoons and taking over whole zones. But they're still spawning/reproducing. Where in real nature their population would go down due to overpopulation and therefore lack of food. Think the animal vs. animal system needs some tweaking.
    I completely forgot about this thread... I've played the game a bit more now and seen bears a bit more often, but hardly anything else. It's nothing to do with the amount of totems because I've visited areas saturated with totems and areas barren of them. If that's because the bears are eating everything else, we need a drastic change in the game mechanics. Do the bears have some kind of limit on their appetite? Given that a bear will chase me without fail, it certainly doesn't seem so. Quite aside from how realistically aggressive these animals would be, surely the predator would know that the prey needs to be sustained rather than slaughtered wholesale.