Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Animals?

Animals?

I recently came across some 'RagDolls' and Labradors. I would suppose these are going to be some of our trainable pets?

I wonder what use there is for a Hamster?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudder View Post
    I recently came across some 'RagDolls' and Labradors. I would suppose these are going to be some of our trainable pets?

I wonder what use there is for a Hamster?
    Electricity...

All I've seen in a while is bears. Seeing a lab would be cool.

Wonder if there will be any Elk out there.

In a pack I am sure hampsters would be a formidable force

When are animals going to be more realistically scattered? Because I can walk for hours and find none.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizley View Post
    When are animals going to be more realistically scattered? Because I can walk for hours and find none.
    This! I agree fully!

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by GuideDina View Post
    In a pack I am sure hampsters would be a formidable force
    Is that a promise?
    I foresee an event in the near future where packs of hampsters (or should that read 'hampers'?) roam the tribalareas, causing havoc among unsuspecting peaceful crafters!

Quote Originally Posted by Bizley View Post
    Try walking in a forest. You'll be surpirsed for how long you can walk inbetween an animal sighting. This game is just -that- realistic.
    Besides, have you ever stopped to consider that there are loads of animals, you just can't spot them ?

Some good pointers to animals are;
    Stay away from very crowded tribe areas.
    Mountains provide good cover for animals, with a keen eye you usually spot something grey'ish/brown'ish moving about.

In the end you don't want realistic scattered animals, you want a statistically scattered animals or each zone having a set number of animals. It just doesn't work like that in our World. You can walk for hours. Without seeing anything.

Realistic? You mean if this was Monopoly, you'd wait the three months to build a house? A year to build a hotel? Really? I live in the mountains, in a forest, in real life. I see stuff all the time. There are ALWAYS birds singing, even at night sometimes (the rascals). Coyotes howl, I see rabbits, and deer every day. Elk too. I never see a bear, in years.

From my point of view, the animals that exist are placeholders, and cannot be considered as part of any real game. The animals sure don't act realistic. No coyote would ever attack a person, unless it is rabid.

If you want an example of superior animal AI in a sandbox, look at Ryzom. The animals migrate in herds, based on the seasons. Predators stalk and kill prey, and sleep and den when they aren't. Little Yubos will come up to you, sniff, and then pee on your leg! Compared to this, Xsyon animals are dumb plastic cutouts with no brains.

Good for you.

Still doesn't mean realistic scatter it means statistical scatter. He dooes not want to walk around for hours and more hours without bumping into an animal. That is statistical scattering of animals. Nothing more. Realistic scattering, you would find what we have now. Sure it can probably be improved, that is besides the fact.
    No one said they behave exactly like in reality, but tracking down animals should be pretty much what I stated: Stay away from civilization, it is what the Devs have said countless of times.
    Further more trying to spot a black bear in the forest is -not- easy, let alone spotting smaller animals such as Coyote and Raccoons.

In all I gave him info on where you find animals and tells him how the mechanics are supposed to work.

Oh yeah, bears and other aggressive animals kill non-aggressive animals. Non-aggressive animals flee from aggressive animals. Been stated too.
    Aggressive animals and non-aggressive animals usually don't live close together. (You won't find Mule Deers in a Black bear territory).
    Based on season animals sleep/hide when it isn't their season. (You won't find certain mobs during certain seasons).

Those factors reduce the population itself. So no, some areas might be deserted of animals, that might be because aggressive animals have taken a hold in the area. It can be because someone eradicated the population in the area which means you need to wait for new breeds or it can be because the animal living in the area is in sleep/hide mode.

I've seen a lot of birds in the woods (why you even bother to mention birds, seeing they have no comparable value as Xsyon does not include birds that can fly, I do not know..), I've only seen animals (of the mammal sort) 6-7 times, even though I live right next to the second biggest animal reservation in DK (imo it might be because it is marsh land, still.. there is loads of trees, 0 animals even birds are like.. WHAT THE FUCK. A BIRD..)
    Billpaustin.. Get your game facts straight and maybe you are better at spotting real life animals than me.. I bet'ya I'm better at spotting in-game animals :P

"This game is just -that- realistic."
    "(You won't find Mule Deers in a Black bear territory)"

Let's quickly dispense with this idea that the animals are at all realistic. First, black bears do not eat mule deer, black bears are 85% vegetarian, they live side by side with deer in the forest. Next, if you go walking in the forest, you will never see a black bear, they run from people. You won't see any animals, because they all run from you, except deer, elk, and turkeys. This game's animals aren't placed in any realistic way, and they certainly don't behave at all realistically. The game is not -that- realistic, it is not realistic at all.

Real animals tend to live around resources they need. Put grass and water, and you will get mule deer, even with bears and lions in the same area. Put berry bushes and the bears will hang around. That is what Xsyon should do: place animal-required resources and let the animals spawn to consume them. No animal would live next to the campfire of a Totem, like the coyote did at my place. It would be a much better game with realistic animals. (See Ryzom for an example.)