Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Short term solution

I decided to run some tests on a hunch that this is a packet loss problem. I ran this test several times so I can confirm the results.
    I usually run Xsyon with Firefox for the forum and Ventrillo for the guild chat running in the background. With these three running I get disconnected from 2 to 20 minutes with a ping of 32 at idle (standing still) and 45 to 185 with lag spikes while moving around. I shut down both Vent and Firefox and I ran Xsyon for an hour with no issues and a ping closer to 35 with no noticeable spikes. I logged out, started Vent and Firefox again, then ran Xsyon and was disconnected in a few minutes. I then shut down Vent and ran Firefox only and Xsyon ran fine but with a slightly higher ping of around 45.
    I would be curious to see what other people are running in the background IE Vent, IRC etc. and if they can duplicate this. We have good broadband internet here and I have no problem running vent with Vanguard, AOC, WOW Etc. I watch Netflix with no problems. I believe that while Vent is running it's eating up enough bandwidth to cause some packet loss and thereby causing a time out and disconnect with Xsyon. I don't know exactly why this is happening, but for now I can run the game fine with no disconnects as long as I don't run Ventrillo. I hope this helps.

Doesnt explain why I get disconnected on 1 account and not the other.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Doesnt explain why I get disconnected on 1 account and not the other.
    What a surprise, another useless cynical post. I didn't say it explained everyone's problem (It fixed mine), I said I would be curious to see what other people are running in the background IE Vent, IRC etc. and if they can duplicate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowhawk View Post
    What a surprise, another useless cynical post. I didn't say it explained everyone's problem (It fixed mine), I said I would be curious to see what other people are running in the background IE Vent, IRC etc. and if they can duplicate this.
    I dont think it was cynical, but me saying that will just make you think it was even more.

Anyways.

I run Trillian, and it disconnects for me. 0 other apps.

Ive also had 10+ apps running, outlook, trillian, vent, IE, Firefox, media player, fraps, Adobe photo shop, etc, and not disconnected for hours. Its random. I do know it has something to do with zone crossings for me. (Counting 1/2 zones crossings too).