Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Feedback Request: carts/mounts transport

Hello Xsyonians!

I would like some feedback on this subject "carts/mounts transport" give as much details as you can.

Carts what should they do?
    How should they do it?
    Do you ride in it?
    Is it faster or slower?
    Do they carry more items?
    Do they carry more items and move faster?
    Is it a wheel barrow (people powered) or horse (animal powered)?
    Should it be faster or slower thank running or walking?
    What happens when you die does it stay behind or or do you lose it?
    And what type of transport would you expect to see?
    So basically what you think carts/mounts transport should be.

Please be as detailed as possible.

Thanks.

Woodcrafters / metalworkers should make them. Need to make wheels, the cart bay itself, etc. Different bays will allow the cart to transport different things (log cart, scrap cart, general trade cart, etc). Different wheels might be better for certain terrain. The recipe to build the thing and have it appear on the ground in front of you is the same but based on the types of materials you put in, you see that represented in the cart. Maybe some can be horse, cow, or ox drawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Woodcrafters / metalworkers should make them. Need to make wheels, the cart bay itself, etc. Different bays will allow the cart to transport different things (log cart, scrap cart, general trade cart, etc). Different wheels might be better for certain terrain. The recipe to build the thing and have it appear on the ground in front of you is the same but based on the types of materials you put in, you see that represented in the cart. Maybe some can be horse, cow, or ox drawn?
    pretty much this fellas idea., i mean only other way to do is have a player pulling the cart or some magical engine to run it. It should be able to carry a very large amount of stuff and it should be about id say 60% the speed of a player runing ingame at full speed. Should be able to go over any terrain cept up steep mountains and should be able to float across rivers or atleast have a way for them to cross it

There should be player drawn carts as well, but you should definitely have to take breaks now and then. Carrying a cart should also increase your strength.

I was also thinking about special little one or two person carts that are drawn by wolves or something to that effect that are meant for pure human transport, nothing more.

Carts: Wheel barrow

Pushed by the player.
    Same speed as walking.
    Holds maybe total weight of players carry weight X 3.
    If you die its left where it is.
    Pushing it adds to strength.

Mounts: Bear Cart

Pulled by a bear.
    Same as player walking speed.
    Holds maybe 500-100kg.
    If you die bear cart is left where it is (maybe the bear can wander a little).
    Using it costs meat for the bear (bear will follow you).
    limited to roads and maybe grass.

I think Dezgard was on the right track. I tweaked his general ideas abit and came up with this.........

Carts: Wheel barrow

Pushed by the player
    Same speed as walking
    Holds maybe total weight of players carry weight X 3 and can stack timber in it
    If you die its left where it is and can be fully looted or the whole thing taken by another player
    Pushing it adds to strength

Mounts: Wild Horse

Ridden by players
    Faster than running and consume stamina slower than running
    Can be killed by animals and other players but regen health as per players
    Can carry an almost encumbered player plus have 2 packs on their back with the same carrying capacity as 2 pouches
    If you die horse is left where it is (maybe can wander a little).
    Can feed them grass but can also eat grass from the ground (this does not deplete the grass though) - this way they can be corraled in pens on your land
    Not limited by terrain but are slower when not on roads in the same way players are
    Raises Agility

OK to clear it up a little.

1) Why do you want carts/mounts?.
    2) What purpose do you need them for?.
    3) For hauling large loads or faster travel or both
    4) Be realistic about what you request i.e something that can be done in 1-2 weeks.
    5) If you had to choose from both carts and mounts what would you choose? hauling carts or fast mounts (note mounts would hold little in the way of resources)

I'd like them for both reasons, carrying large amount of stuffs and faster travel. Running is slow in the game, with the new lands it may take 1-2 hours to get from one point to another, or even more.
    Why do we have to choose ? Can't a fast mount carry a good amount of resources ?
    I'd prefer mounts over carts, a mount which can carry many resources and runs faster than a player. If the player dies the mount should stay at that spot.

Later on different mounts with different carrying capacity and speed...bears can carry more but deers run faster.

I think the horse idea might be a bit too overpowered. I don't know.

1) I would like a mount so it is possible to travel across the map and trade/explore/hunt/gather without it taking half a day.
    2) I need them to carry more stuff and to get from point a to b faster.
    3) both
    4) Request will go below this.
    5) I can't choose between those two.

Carts:
    - Able to have both people and animals pushing it. (people to begin with)
    - If a person is hauling the cart, the cart can only go by walking speed. It can carry twice the amount a person otherwise would be able to carry and you would be able to fill up bundles in it.
    - Make different kinds. Metal Wheels increases the durability, but it makes the cart heavier thus it travels a bit slower, a wooden cart doesn't last as long, but on the other side it is lighter and thus travel a bit faster.
    - Let it increase strength.
    - Can be left behind or is left behind when a player dies.

Mounts:
    - Can only carry an extra bag and a resource stack. (gives you a total of two bags and two resource stacks). (Can be depend on the mount - bears can carry more, but runs slower, mules can run faster but carry less.)
    - Runs a lot faster then a normal person (Can be depend on the mount)
    - Needs to be fed or it will run wild.
    - Can graze when the player is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by dezgard View Post
    OK to clear it up a little.

1) Why do you want carts/mounts?.
    2) What purpose do you need them for?.
    3) For hauling large loads or faster travel or both
    4) Be realistic about what you request i.e something that can be done in 1-2 weeks.
    5) If you had to choose from both carts and mounts what would you choose? hauling carts or fast mounts (note mounts would hold little in the way of resources)
    Why not a phased feature set targetting the common aspects of both in 1-2 weeks and then additional features every 1-2 weeks thereafter until we have both?

Initial energy use to start pulling it will be high but then reduced as inertia and momentum reduce the energy use. Could be as simple as a cargo variant of the hand taxi's you see in Asia. Beneficial effects of fulcrums etc. for reducing effort, friction, weight etc. Physics. Should take more energy downhill on steep inclines due to preventing it from rolling away and more uphill but much less on flat land and roads and much less on roads than flat land as no bumps etc.

Ideally therefore you would need to take a break after pulling it up a steep incline before you then get moving again so you'd have to plan your route. It would also prevent the over use of carts as they would be most practical between tribe settlements that have connecting roads. Basically people have to think about their use.

The cart should be as detailed a crafting experience as possible, broken up into lots of recipes so it can be extended into a rich crafting experience as more and more varieties of wheels etc. are added.
    i.e. Wheels would be spokes, hub, rim, rim plate (metal strip that prevents the wheel rim wearing out quickly)
    Body, axels etc.
    Better types and materials would add to weight allowance and durability but start with a basic set that can be extended. Then adding mounts and more advanced features later on will be easier.