Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Xsyon Citizen

Re:Will the carebears ruin xsyon...

[b]Palo god wrote:[/b]
    [quote][b]CoolStoryBro wrote:[/b]
    [quote]What you dont realize is that carebears are what make the world go round, without them you wouldnt get that nice shiny new helmet, or timber stack.

that was part of the reason df economy failed so much, to much gank fest, so all the squishy lil crafters left.

tis better to gank less and get more gears then to gank more and only find nakeds[/quote]

I don't equate all or even most crafters to carebears as I’m also going to craft in this game from time to time. I'm talking about the people that are going to want pvp nerfed, safe zones expanded, and their items made safer by whining to the devs that they just lost all their stuff transferring it to another tribe city via wagon and then getting pked.[/quote]

So far we've had a chance to see Jooky's resolve. There were people posting left and right wanting vids and SC's, instead of caving he stuck to his guns. If that's any indication about how future decisions will be made I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.

[quote][b]MeritAmun wrote:[/b]
    [quote]I love crafting and I love pvp... I will have to find a balance however my focus will be in crafting however I generally do not shy away from a good fight either. I do not understand why people think crafters have to be care bears... just because I maxed crafting in every game with a worthwhile crafting system that I have played doesn't mean I have not spent at least as much or even more time in battlegrounds, in open pvp or whatever else the combat system had for pvp.
    [url=http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/4494273983_ae63968886_o.jpg]Yeah I must be a carebear...[/url]
    If you clicked the link.. I am Naavari and my partner in crime depicted on that screen will be playing with me and we make a nice tag team with me as support.

So yeah I love pvp as much as I enjoy every other aspect of the game.[/quote]

Read my last post. I think you and the vast majority of the people that posted missed the entire point of the thread and interpreted it as something else.[/quote]

Or perhaps you misinterpreted this game into something else?

Its all about balance , You get carebears. You get gankers.

deal with it

Naw i understand what you mean and I do not personally see it as a big or valid concern, I am pretty sure with a growing community the influx of pvp enthusiasts and those that would rather be safe will be kept in balance. And I think that is where the tribe will be very important. There will likely be those that love to pvp that can go out and protect their crafters. Or at least they should. I think most everyone would agree that a game that concentrates too heavy on any given side would get very boring very quickly. But I would also not call those that enjoy the less combative aspects of the game carebears just because their focus may be somewhere else and I am so tired of that stupid term.

[b]r0ss0 wrote:[/b]
    [quote][b]Palo god wrote:[/b]
    [quote]I love crafting and I love pvp... I will have to find a balance however my focus will be in crafting however I generally do not shy away from a good fight either. I do not understand why people think crafters have to be care bears... just because I maxed crafting in every game with a worthwhile crafting system that I have played doesn't mean I have not spent at least as much or even more time in battlegrounds, in open pvp or whatever else the combat system had for pvp.
    [url=http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/4494273983_ae63968886_o.jpg]Yeah I must be a carebear...[/url]
    If you clicked the link.. I am Naavari and my partner in crime depicted on that screen will be playing with me and we make a nice tag team with me as support.

Read my last post. I think you and the vast majority of the people that posted missed the entire point of the thread and interpreted it as something else.[/quote]

deal with it[/quote]

Not at all. I know what kind of game I want and what kind of game xsyon promises to be. The point of this thread was to see if the devs would change their core game mechanics to cater to certain players if those players with their play style become a large chunk of the game's player base.

In short I don't want to see promises cut short because a big chunk of the player base doesn't want something to be added/removed like promised(like the removal of safe zones in good and neutral tribe cities after prelude or the removal of a soft cap and skill decay so no life grinders can become the super powers of the game).

What you say is spot on, People that whine about small things need to actually realise the big impact they could cause , Lets say a bunch of people complain that pvp is to overpowered some how , Then the Devs decide to put some kind of immunity in place.
    that alone can destroy the games well being.

I want it to be dangerous out in the wild , I want it to be tough. Whats the point in building villages if they cant be attacked or you cant be killed due to something that gets put in place.

But its the ones who cause the grief also, I dont mind a fight , But those that wish to camp over and over will cause a bigger impact than those complaining.

so like i said there needs to be a balance between the two , And people should really think about what they say before complaining , This is community game not a singleplayer game , What you whine about could ruin the game for many others.

but im sure the Devs know what they are doing , Yes there will be teething bugs , And i can see pvp being way overpowered , But give them time to find the right balance and all is golden.

They could create safe zones for lesser materials and the rarer materials would not have a safe zone.
    Or
    They could introduce guards of some type too.

By the way, I didn't mean all crafters are carebears, I meant the crafters and resource gatherers that are carebear like in expression. IE QQers

If I kill someone and take their stuff I dont want them QQing me cause the smart crafter/gatherer would have a couple friends come out of hiding, kill me, take all my gear while laughing at me. :laugh:

Ultimately "carebears" aren't looking to ruin the game experience for anyone.

Conversely, the hardcore griefers do want to ruin the game experience for as many people as possible.

I'm more worried by a huge influx of griefers than of "carebears".

Hopefully the game will be balanced for neither. Yes the game should have pvp. No it shouldn't be a case of as soon as anyone leaves town a horde of reds descends of them to grief them repeatedly. Getting the balance right to ensure it suits as many parts of the community as possible is not a bad thing. Alienating people

Having game mechanics to ensure a large section of the population continue to enjoy the game without being driven from the game will have far less of an impact than creating a game where griefing is encouraged.

So ultimately, will the care bears ruin Xsyon? Obviously not. Will griefers ruin Xsyon? Remains to be seen but ultimately I hope not else sandbox game will become synonymous with "gankfest"

[b]Reynolds wrote:[/b]
    [quote]Ultimately "carebears" aren't looking to ruin the game experience for anyone.

Conversely, the hardcore griefers do want to ruin the game experience for as many people as possible.[/quote]

I remember reading that article in O Magazine too. I propose that weapons can only be used on npc's and creatures, and if a player makes an aggressive move toward another player, their weapon turns into a feather, and a big tickle-fight ensues.

[quote][b]r0ss0 wrote:[/b]
    [quote][b]Palo god wrote:[/b]

deal with it[/quote]

Not at all. I know what kind of game I want and what kind of game xsyon promises to be. The point of this thread was to see if the devs would change their core game mechanics to cater to certain players if those players with their play style become a large chunk of the game's player base.

In short I don't want to see promises cut short because a big chunk of the player base doesn't want something to be added/removed like promised(like the removal of safe zones in good and neutral tribe cities after prelude or the removal of a soft cap and skill decay so no life grinders can become the super powers of the game).[/quote]

See, I had a hard time getting a feel for what kind of game Xsyon was going to be. That is why I made the thread [url=http://www.xsyon.com/forums/7-public-support/16083-very-long-4-questions-for-jooky]here[/url] to try to get a feel on what the devs were aiming for. I have to say I had no dog in the fight, although I generally only stick with games that have pvp in them (in fact I can't remember the last game I played that had no pvp. Passed on Lotro entirely due to no pvp). But this looks like the devs intend it to be a fairly carebearish game. I kinda suspected this which is why I made that thread to get their input. Take their response as you will, but I have stopped gearing for Xsyon as a serious hardcore pvp game. In fact I think warhammer will end up being a more serious pvp game than Xsyon from those results.

Take that as you will, but it looks like what kind of game you want is not what the devs want, and you may want to brace yourself for disappointment. But don't blame the carebears if it turns out just like they said in that thread, it's the devs design. Blame either them for not making the game you want or blame yourself for expecting something other than what they said.

[b]Ciik wrote:[/b]
    [quote][b]Reynolds wrote:[/b]
    [quote]Ultimately "carebears" aren't looking to ruin the game experience for anyone.

Conversely, the hardcore griefers do want to ruin the game experience for as many people as possible.[/quote]

I remember reading that article in O Magazine too. I propose that weapons can only be used on npc's and creatures, and if a player makes an aggressive move toward another player, their weapon turns into a feather, and a big tickle-fight ensues.[/quote]

Er, what article, what magazine?

There is a big difference between applying consequences so those who want to grief have consequences for doing so to create a balance for all players and removing pvp entirely from the game.

It seems that most people intent on griefing (A vocal, but still significant minority from my perception) here want to have no/trivial consequences for their actions. They claim any penalty for going evil would be a restriction on them. You can still choose to go evil and take consequences or not to go evil, there will still be pvp both ways.

Going evil you gain the advantage that you can attack anyone, anytime, anywhere. In the interest of balance there should be consequences for such actions, nothing severely punitive, but enough so that evil tribes remain rare, yet still are a threat.

Overall I have decided it's fairly pointless getting into debates over this issue as the two sides are so entrenched that no resolution between the Asshole and the Carebear will ever be possible. Most gamers (myself included) lie well in the middle of the two sides and are a lot less vocal about the issues.

Although tickle fights do sound pretty awesome, I must agree with you there.

/me tickles you with a feather for 0 points of damage.