Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re:Will the carebears ruin xsyon...

Hopefully it will be harder to run from ambushes by the time the games fully started jesse.

Also I'm completely fine with penalties for pking however is should definitely be equal. If I try and kill someone they shouldn't be able to run way faster then me, maybe moderately. And if they pull out their weapon then they lose said bonus for say 30 seconds (to avoid people doing hit and runs).

A game can run without any PvP to support it, so if it ruins it for anyone, it will simply be the PvP come PKers that will be sad and out. So when you cry "Carebears ruined the game" there are more carebears that could very easily support the game than PvP come PKers realise.

So for once a carebear can laugh in your face while you wiggle on the ground talking to your friends.

I have one simple statement for you PvP come PKers. Control your lusts, you want a balanced game then control yourself, just like you control yourself (hopefully) in real life. No control or responsibility will see a outrage forming, likewise will there be outrage on the other sides if it swings to far in that direction.

Is 10% of players enough to change the game? How much revenue is lost if that amount of people leave? If it is 13usd a month to play, that's 650usd a month in lost revenue and that's just the cap on Prelude.

7800usd a year lost if they don't return.

We don't even know anything about the games PvP and PKing repercussions. This is a world building game! Can PvP and PKing support a building game?

From what I've read/seen (devs saying they're going to work with the best of the best crafters to introduce new items into the game) they will be focusing more with crafting and rebuilding the world then with killing and destroying it. You'll have to be a VERY dedicated crafter to ever become one of the specialized people, which means less pvp for those working with the devs.

there will probably be a large number of pvpers/pks in this though...
    Also where are you getting these numbers?
    The prelude caps 5000 and the subscription is 15usd a month

so 10% of the player base would be 7500usd a Month. honestly there's gonna be a higher pvp/pk player base for this game then crafter base in the beginning because that what sandlots do. whether it becomes a mainly crafting based game is of course totally up to the developer. however why should a pker live up to the standards of real world morals and law-system? This is a game man, the point of a game is the ability to do what you cant in a real world situation. Otherwise I would just walk around in tinfoil armor suit in pursuit of more resources at a Walmart a couple hours a day.

The game should be balanced not in favor of one way or another.

...I thought it was 500. My bad.

[quote]This is a game man, the point of a game is the ability to do what you cant in a real world situation.[/quote]For you perhaps, for me its to escape from Real World pressure, de-stress, to have an escape.

History seems to support that as well. It's only recently that the concept of "What I can't do in real life" became a reality, good ol' America... :angry:

Wasn't trying to ad hominem, just wondering if you misread.

Oh please, I know how to cause grief and have been grieved without the requirements of PvP, I'm not noob when it comes to building sims.

[b]Reynolds wrote:[/b]
    [quote]Ultimately "carebears" aren't looking to ruin the game experience for anyone.
    Conversely, the hardcore griefers do want to ruin the game experience for as many people as possible.
    [/quote]

Carebears ruin the experience when they begin to whine en masse on the forums after being killed like twice and try to get the system changed so that they can do whatever in peace, often enough they succeed because very few dev teams have a pair these days.

Conversely, the "hardcore"(more like scrub) griefers that seek to ruin the experience for others rarely last very long, because they themselves get griefed off by a combination of APK's and the real PK's that get pissed off they're scaring off all the targets/competition.

Funnily enough, the "griefers" will often provide you with much more delicious butthurt and tears than the carebears do.

[b]Stncold wrote:[/b]
    [quote][b]Reynolds wrote:[/b]
    [quote]Ultimately "carebears" aren't looking to ruin the game experience for anyone.
    Conversely, the hardcore griefers do want to ruin the game experience for as many people as possible.
    [/quote]

Carebears ruin the experience when they begin to whine en masse on the forums after being killed like twice and try to get the system changed so that they can do whatever in peace, often enough they succeed because very few dev teams have a pair these days.
    [/quote]

I'd say the "carebears" were probably less vocal than the average "asshole" and probably have little influence, if the devs want to make the game a griefers paradise, they will and any "carebear" won't even consider the game (along with a large proportion from the gamers in between). If "carebears" are 10% of the market, and "assholes" are another 10% with everyone else in the spectrum between, aiming the game toward the 80% rather than either extreme makes sense?

I don't think anyone expects to go weeks without having to fight/flee from combat.

Equally I don't think many want to play in a game where "Assholes" will harrass you every 10 minutes from the second you log in.

Ultimately balancing and monitoring the playerbase is in the hands of the devs. If it's too carebear friendly toughen up the ruleset. If griefers are ruining the game for the bulk of the population, increase the consequences for going evil and make evading combat slightly easier.

I'm sure there will be enough tears from carebears and assholes alike that the game doesn't perfectly suit them, as long as it suits the people in the middle and the mechanic provide a good balance, the devs will have done their job well.

[b]Palo god wrote:[/b]
    [quote]...with their carebear stare?

I’ve recently noticed a huge influx of carebears coming into the forum community. If a large chunk of the player base gradually and eventually just becomes crafters that want to be completely safe at all times, crafters that just grind crafting items they’re never going to use 24/7, will the xsyon team change the core game mechanics and the original image of the game to cater to these people? Or will they continue with their original game ideas regardless of what the carebears say?[/quote]

I'm sure the developer will stick to his original idea and core mechanics of the game. The problem is that it is not what you thought it would be.

I don't know who advertised this game on Darkfall forums as a hardcore Pker paradise, but that person fooled a lot of people.

The developers of Xsyon stated clearly from the very beginning that this game isn't a PvP focused one, and ganking-griefing will never be tolerated. Its not their fault if you misread that.

Still, I wouldn't be worried if I were you. There will be a lot of PvP in the game, you will always be able to find likeminded people who are happy to take part in challenging fights. What would you loose with the so-called carebear features ? Only the easy preys, but what is fun about killing an unprepared person with 3 hits who carries 10 logs ? If they can flee from you, let it be...you won't loose anything, nor fun neither real loot.

And I understand why are you worried, in most of the games only combat which can keep players entertained...crafting is added only as a timesink feature, usually meaningless and boring. But this game has the focus on building-crafting-exploring...hopefully you (and all of us) will find it a lot of fun.

Here you will be able to see your tribe's village to grow into a town, to see it grow and prosper...isn't it more satisfying and fun than to be able to destroy it (or other tribe's one) in half an hour ?

Don't think of 'carebears' like your enemies...they never want to ruin your fun, they only want to keep theirs.