Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Re:Will the carebears ruin xsyon...

Sorry to burst your little bubble here, but...

...if the "regulation" is strong enough to make PKing not viable will kill all of it
    ...if the "regulation" is weak enough people who want to be evil will be evil

There is no third option.

By the way, have to note that regulating a population in a sandbox, well, sounds like a sandbox only by name to me.

[b]Jhael wrote:[/b]
    [quote]
    By the way, have to note that regulating a population in a sandbox, well, sounds like a sandbox only by name to me.[/quote]
    Sandbox game doesn't mean there are no rules. Sandbox means a non-linear gameplay, a player-driven economy, an ability to terraform and build, and a lot of activities apart of combat. Its not the same as anarchy.

[b]Jadzia wrote:[/b]
    [quote][b]Jhael wrote:[/b]
    [quote]
    By the way, have to note that regulating a population in a sandbox, well, sounds like a sandbox only by name to me.[/quote]
    Sandbox game doesn't mean there are no rules. Sandbox means a non-linear gameplay, a player-driven economy, an ability to terraform and build, and a lot of activities apart of combat. Its not the same as anarchy.[/quote]I suggested anarchy? Well if I didn't (I didn't) before I would now. :silly:

[b]Jadzia wrote:[/b]
    [quote][b]Palo god wrote:[/b]
    [quote]...with their carebear stare?

I’ve recently noticed a huge influx of carebears coming into the forum community. If a large chunk of the player base gradually and eventually just becomes crafters that want to be completely safe at all times, crafters that just grind crafting items they’re never going to use 24/7, will the xsyon team change the core game mechanics and the original image of the game to cater to these people? Or will they continue with their original game ideas regardless of what the carebears say?[/quote]

I'm sure the developer will stick to his original idea and core mechanics of the game. The problem is that it is not what you thought it would be.

I don't know who advertised this game on Darkfall forums as a hardcore Pker paradise, but that person fooled a lot of people.

The developers of Xsyon stated clearly from the very beginning that this game isn't a PvP focused one, and ganking-griefing will never be tolerated. Its not their fault if you misread that.

Still, I wouldn't be worried if I were you. There will be a lot of PvP in the game, you will always be able to find likeminded people who are happy to take part in challenging fights. What would you loose with the so-called carebear features ? Only the easy preys, but what is fun about killing an unprepared person with 3 hits who carries 10 logs ? If they can flee from you, let it be...you won't loose anything, nor fun neither real loot.

And I understand why are you worried, in most of the games only combat which can keep players entertained...crafting is added only as a timesink feature, usually meaningless and boring. But this game has the focus on building-crafting-exploring...hopefully you (and all of us) will find it a lot of fun.

Here you will be able to see your tribe's village to grow into a town, to see it grow and prosper...isn't it more satisfying and fun than to be able to destroy it (or other tribe's one) in half an hour ?

Don't think of 'carebears' like your enemies...they never want to ruin your fun, they only want to keep theirs.[/quote]

A lot of developers come off strong on their core values when they just start their mmos. The problem is a lot of the devs for successful mmos get bored with their game eventually and later just see the game as a way to make money, and nothing else. At that point they just cater to casual players that want to be completely safe 100% of the time that just grind all day and then the game slowly dies as the game turns into a shell of it‘s former self.

I know exactly what this game is aiming to be because I’ve been on these forums longer then most people and actually read what the devs post. My goal in this game isn’t to watch copious amounts of villages grow into industrialized cities. If this game is good my goal will be to destroy entire villages(if they have worthwhile tech and resources) with a like minded tribe and take them for all their worth. The only crafting I’m planning to specialize in is metal work and herblore if they add illicit irl drugs, but I’m mostly going to be a pker if I actually decide to play this game.

No, carebears do want to ruin my fun. “Carebears” are the people that whine to the devs to get everything involving pvp nerfed or extremely restricted after they lose their items as a result of their stupid decisions.

The carebears QQ
    You the PK QQ

So what is the diffrence?

[b]r0ss0 wrote:[/b]
    [quote]The carebears QQ
    You the PK QQ

So what is the diffrence? [/quote]

The ones that get game mechanics nerfed.

Hope the pvpers don't ruin the game either. Player should have to keep a look out around them for danger. Creature and player. Player should not be able to turn invisible to gank at will. Dumbest mechanic ever. Sneak up using natural cover and brains? Go for it. Rediculous mechanic so ganking is an easy task? Never!

[b]Palo god wrote:[/b]
    [quote][b]r0ss0 wrote:[/b]
    [quote]The carebears QQ
    You the PK QQ

The ones that get game mechanics nerfed.[/quote]

Its nerfed from your point of view, but it makes the game more enjoyable and playable for others.

[quote]
    I know exactly what this game is aiming to be because I’ve been on these forums longer then most people and actually read what the devs post. My goal in this game isn’t to watch copious amounts of villages grow into industrialized cities. If this game is good my goal will be to destroy entire villages(if they have worthwhile tech and resources) with a like minded tribe and take them for all their worth. The only crafting I’m planning to specialize in is metal work and herblore if they add illicit irl drugs, but I’m mostly going to be a pker if I actually decide to
    play this game. [/quote]

In this case get ready to be disappointed...I'm not saying you won't be able to do so, I'm saying we haven't got any information about destroying other tribe's villages.

I'm ready to be disappointed by this after Prelude as well, it may happen that the village fighting methods won't turn out in a way I would like. As I say, we just simply don't know.
    My personal opinion is that if you only want to fight and craft a bit in this game you will miss out a lot...but its up to you of course. If I were a game developer, my goal would be to attract players who want to enjoy all of the features of my game, not only 1.

[quote][b]r0ss0 wrote:[/b]
    [quote]The carebears QQ
    You the PK QQ

The ones that get game mechanics nerfed.[/quote]

So just to clarify:

If a game is designed to be pretty much catering to what many call 'carebears', by designing evil/pvp to be so rare that only 20% of the population become evil, and make it so that it is easy for the carebears to avoid fights, and then the PK QQ's to get the protection game mechanics nerfed, then you are saying it is the PK who is "ruining xsyon"?

Are you championing for the thread to be renamed "Will the PKers ruin Xsyon?"??

Or are you saying that what Virtus posted about the overall direction of the game as the devs want it is incorrect?

[quote]No, carebears do want to ruin my fun. “Carebears” are the people that whine to the devs to get everything involving pvp nerfed or extremely restricted after they lose their items as a result of their stupid decisions.[/quote]

It sounds like you are looking for a completely unbalanced, unregulated grief fest. Where ever you find it, it will be a tiny niche community.

Hopefully Xsyon will be more of a game than that and you find a game more suited to your needs of a game. If Xsyon does become the game you want, I suspect it will become virtually empty within 6 months.

Most of the posts seem to be people asking for balanced gameplay, with a few rabid pvp players wanting the game to revolve around them and be a total grieffest and expect "carebears" to play ball and be easy targets for players like them.

Games that revolve around FFA griefing are very limited in scope and therefore only interest one fraction of the market. By balancing the gameplay so everyone has more fun than having "not fun" you'll reach a wider audience.

Of course some players want everything to revolve about their desire to grief.