Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I like the new scav system, I just think it needs major balancing.

I still have yet to figure out what item my zone gives, what are rares, and what the heck these bonuses really do on these items.

Also what happened to recipes?

Areas should have major bonus to a few items.
    Like say Tallac has lots of good poles, plastic, metal, wood. Plus maybe posts also, again plastic, metal, wood.
    Then South would have lots of good plates. So you have large, small, medium. Then all the different types that goes with it. So like gold, steel, chrome etc. Now gold plates of any type would be more rare than steel, and chrome would be even more rare than gold. But you still would have lots of plates.
    Both areas would yield all the other resources however, you would get say plates in South 1 out of 10, while in Tallac you would get posts 1 out of 10.

You could even to ranges. So maybe South has Plates 3 out of 10, and has screws 1 out of 10, posts/poles would be 1 out of 200 and bolts 1 out of 20. While Tallac would have Post/poles 1 out of 10, and have bolts 1 out of 10, but have plates 1 out of 20, and screws 1 out of 20.
    All the rest would be basic scav.

So each zone would have 2 items that are say + 200%, and + 75% while everything else was normal. Then you could also have some items which are in every area, without changing. Like say recipes. You can find a recipe = chance in all areas. There is no area with a bonus to finding a recipe.

Now, each area would find gold more common than another, or titanium more common than that next. But the basic item would be more common. So if you wanted titanium screws, you would goto the place with +200% to screws, and get titanium screws by default 200% more than somewhere else because you are finding 200% more screws.

I find that the purpose of the scavenging action (compared to the pulling and sorting junk action) isn't yet well defined. This is further complicated because all actions (pulling/sorting and scavenging) use the same skill modifier (called scavenging again).

If I were to design I first would state the purpose for these action. In my book these should be:
    Pulling - collecting bundles of junk from junk piles.
    Sorting - sorting junk bundles into reasonably large amounts of common goods.
    Scavenging - finding small amounts of uncommon and rare goods on junk piles and in the wild.

The current system does not clearly define purposes: scavenging gives us large amounts of common goods, something that should be done through pulling/sorting. And pulling/sorting gives us small amounts of uncommon goods (zippers, metal buckles) that should be got through scavenging.

Once we have the purpose of the actions defined we can then setup regional and local differences. That would mean that the chance to sort/scavenge a particular item (or rather class of items) is modifed in respect to the location. Possible modifiers could be:
    - distance from water
    - distance from lake
    - north/south/east/west
    - altitude
    - distance from nearest junk pile
    - distance from nearest totem
    - type of ground (grass, branches, granite, sand, street, etc.)

I think we need to be careful saying people are getting too much success with scav when you're skill 100. Can everyone please also consider people with lower skills when posting suggestions. We need balance not people saying it's too good because they are skill 100 when it's not nearly as good if you're not. Think about everyone.

Clearly 100 scav should be much much more successful than 20 or 30 and get much better items and in better quantities. The issues are one of balance. At lower skills levels you mostly get junk. The gap between 90 and 94 is also quite pronounced. What is clear is that people are not getting blades, saw blades etc. and no recipes either although dez said the other day that GuideRaguel was working on the recipes loot table so not sure if that means they are not dropping yet as per DDT's post.

We need a few peeps at lower skills levels to post their experiences so it can be balanced properly not just people who have a very high or max scav skill.

fwiw, I had more success at lvl 90 with the previous system than this one but this one can be balanced better (with proper feedback) than the previous system could as it's more detailed and flexible.

Larsa, I concur, we do not know enough about the new system to decide how far we need to be from any totem or anything else for that matter so it's pretty tough (esp. as most if not all scrap heaps have totems close by) to know what we should be getting and thus decide on balance.

At lvl 94, on a scrap heap, not on a totems land, some totems near by (about 200m), it's 50/50, lvl 90 was much lower. (This was a good run too, normally feels like the success rate is lower than this) If I had done 25 only, the success rate would have been much lower. I agree some things are dropping too often and in too large quantities but that said, even before the change of system, I would sometimes get over 100 nails or screws so this system I'd say on balance is less rewarding than the previous one. Off a scrap heap, the success rate is about 1 in 20 for me so much lower. I'll do that next in the middle of nowhere.

1.) 2 Bronze M Metal Board, HQ
    2.) 116 Steel rivets, HQ
    3.) 1 Found Leather, HQ
    4.) Nothing
    5.) Nothing
    6.) Nothing
    7.) 1 Steel Wedge, VHQ
    8.) Nothing
    9.) Nothing
    10.) Nothing
    11.) Nothing
    12.) Nothing
    13.) 1 Patchwork Leather, HQ
    14.) 5 S Platic sheet, VHQ
    15.) Nothing
    16.) Nothing
    17.) 27 Iron Bolts, M
    18.) 1 Patchwork Leather, VHQ
    19.) Nothing
    20.) 1 PLeather, VHQ
    21.) Nothing
    22.) Nothing
    23.) Nothing
    24.) 42 buttons, M
    25.) Nothing
    26.) 2 Bronze Long Metal Handles, HQ
    27.) Nothing
    28.) 1 junk Plastic, HQ
    29.) 32 Dollar bills, VHQ
    30.) 4 S Platic sheet, HQ
    31.) 1 Found Leather, HQ
    32.) Nothing
    33.) Nothing
    34.) 53 Steel bolts, M
    35.) Nothing
    36.) 2 white linen cloth fabric, VHQ
    37.) 65 bottlecaps, HQ
    38.) 141 stainless screws, VHQ
    39.) 5 S Platic sheet, VHQ
    40.) 71 dollar bills, VHQ
    41.) Nothing
    42.) 4 Grey Acrylic cloth fabrics, HQ
    43.) 2 White Linen Cloth Scraps, VHQ
    44.) Nothing
    45.) 1 Alum Large metal Sheet, HQ
    46.) 51 dollar bills, VHQ
    47.) Nothing
    48.) Nothing
    49.) Nothing
    50.) Nothing

My problem with the whole scav thing is that as you level up it pays off way to much.

See not only at 100 scav do I find stuff more often, but its ALL of the best QL (VHQ or Master).

I believe they should change the system.

ANYONE should be able to get junk QL to master QL. However, if you are low skill you have a very very very very low chance at master QL items.

Scav tables IMO should work like I laid out. Pretty much, same as before ONLY changing how common some of the items are in areas. Meaning, you dont lower the chance of something you only increase the chance of 2 types of items. This will be default LOWER the chance of other things.

If I make something 5x more common, by default that will lower EVERYTHING.
    Example.
    Say before you had 3 items. All 33.3% chance each to find. *Item A, B, and C*. So out of 100 scavs you will find each one 33 times, assuming 100% scav rate of something.

Now say you change it so that item A is 5x more likely to find it. That means item A you will find 72% of the time, and B, C you will find 14% of the time each. As you can see thats with just 3 items. Just think if there was 200 items. Now I understand some items have different ratios and this would be a little harder to work out the math, but it shouldnt take long IF you have an idea of how rare items should be basically.

Next is the fact that higher scav should ONLY effect the chance to find an item. ALL scav levels should get junk to master QL. Just higher scav should allow a higher chance at master. So instead of 50% of the time at 100 scav getting master, it should cap out around like 5 or 10% of the time.

Anyways I could keep going, but its just a waste of time. They will fix it I guess over time.

100 scav right now is the most important skill in the game for ANY player, combat, crafter, or gatherer. Heck even a explorer would do well with the radius from same totems having an effect.

But the scav system has never worked that way with this new system or the one before. As you skill up, the quality improves (we can still get moderate and HQ and above not only VHQ and M as you can see from my list) and this is the same with logging, woodcraft and every other skill.

The skill also gives you a higher chance of finding rare items. The % chance of finding something and the quality are two completely different aspects of the system. Now if you don't like the system then that's fine but that's not the same as the issue about % chance of finding rares and distance from totem etc. which is what has changed with the new system.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyI View Post
    But the scav system has never worked that way with this new system or the one before. As you skill up, the quality improves (we can still get moderate and HQ and above not only VHQ and M as you can see from my list) and this is the same with logging, woodcraft and every other skill.

The skill also gives you a higher chance of finding rare items. The % chance of finding something and the quality are two completely different aspects of the system. Now if you don't like the system then that's fine but that's not the same as the issue about % chance of finding rares and distance from totem etc. which is what has changed with the new system.

You are right, I will keep that to another thread.

Just FYI I dont think the chance to find a rare is higher for a low skill vs high skill. Its just that high skill = more finds thus its chances are higher.

Meaning, say you scav 1000 times, at 5 skill. You will only get like 100 items. But if you scav at 100 skill you get like 800 items. So it seems like you have a higher chance to get a rare on higher level, but really its the same base chance just that because you are scav more items you get them more.

It would be like saying, you scav 800 times, while I scav 100 times. You have 700 more chances to get a rare.

Scav results in middle of scrub land at least 400-500 from a totem that I know of.

1.) Nothing
    2.) Nothing
    3.) Nothing
    4.) Nothing
    5.) Nothing
    6.) 2 Iron Metal Board, VHQ - dc'd on zone cross, slowed due to weight
    7.) Nothing
    8.) Nothing
    9.) Nothing
    10.) Nothing
    11.) Nothing
    12.) Nothing
    13.) Nothing
    14.) Nothing
    15.) Nothing
    16.) Nothing
    17.) Nothing
    18.) Nothing
    19.) Nothing
    20.) Nothing
    21.) Nothing
    22.) Nothing
    23.) Nothing
    24.) Nothing
    25.) Nothing
    26.) Nothing
    27.) Nothing
    28.) Nothing
    29.) 71 stainless screws, VHQ
    30.) 69 plastic buttons, VHQ
    31.) Nothing
    32.) Nothing
    33.) Nothing
    34.) Nothing
    35.) Nothing

Added after 6 minutes:

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    You are right, I will keep that to another thread.

Just FYI I dont think the chance to find a rare is higher for a low skill vs high skill. Its just that high skill = more finds thus its chances are higher.
    Which would be wrong imo. In RL being better at say foraging would result in finding not only more items but higher chance of obscure / rare items as you would be better at recognising them and the habitats the plants grown in.
    With a lower skill it should then come down to 'luck' hence should be weighted more with a higher skill otherwise, why learn scav all the way up to 100. But we'll have to see how it pans out.

100 Scav, 95 Perception. About 50m to 100m from my totem.

1.) 0
    2.) 3x Alum Med Metal Sheets - VHQ
    3.) 0
    4.) 0
    5.) 0
    6.) 114x Gold Screws - M
    7.) 4x Short Metal Sheets - VHQ
    8.) 0
    9.) 0
    10.) 43x Steel Screws - H
    11.) 0
    12.) 0
    13.) 0
    14.) 67x Iron Nails - M
    15.) 51x Bottle Caps - VHQ
    16.) 1x Junk Plastic - M
    17.) 0
    18.) 6x Black Cotton Cloth Fabric - M
    19.) 92x Buttons - H
    20.) 0
    21.) 0
    22.) 60x Iron Nails - VHQ
    23.) 0
    24.) 1x Rubber Strap - VHQ
    25.) 1x Alum Lrg Metal Sheet - VHQ
    26.) 3x Iron Small Metal Block - M
    27.) 79x Gold Screws - M
    28.) 4x Stainless Sm Metal Sheet - VHQ
    29.) 0
    30.) 61x Iron Rivets - VHQ
    31.) 36x Quarters - VHQ
    32.) 0
    33.) 0
    34.) 82x Bronze Screws - VHQ
    35.) 6x Med Plastic Sheets - VHQ
    36.) 0
    37.) 0
    38.) 47x Bottle Caps - VHQ
    39.) 0
    40.) 5x Steel Long Metal Boards - M
    41.) 0
    42.) 1x Lambskin - M
    43.) 5x Steel Short Metal Boards - VHQ
    44.) 5x Med Plastic Sheets - M
    45.) 5x Med Plastic Poles - M
    46.) 1x Freeway Rail - VHQ
    47.) Nothing
    48.) Nothing
    49.) 5x Steel Small Metal Handle - M
    50.) Nothing

1x Freeway Rail?

Hold up Xsyon, we don't even have cars yet, how can we be getting ready to construct freeways??? Lmao at freeway rail

===========================