Right now, skills are set to where everyone can master everything all at once. This isn't realist and it doesn't make everyone feel all special inside that they have an important job inside of thier tribe.

In another game I play they have alot of skill like this too, but they have a better system. When you get to a certain level with a skill you have to decide wether or not you can promote it, and you can only promote a certain number of skills. If you dont promote the skill you hit its level cap. Now with this you could make it so non-specialized people make lower quality weapons unless the decide to specialize, also you could make it so that the rare recipies can only be used by people who specialize.

On a separate note: The UI for the skills in xsyon is not... great. I love the game but I really dislike the UI. Now there are a few recommendations I have for it:

1) make a larger skill interface that shows all skills
2) make a skill exp bar in the interface to show progress
3) make it so that you can select a skill exp bar that can be ported to the main screen so that you can keep an eye on it without having to go back and forth to the skill interface

Just some suggestions.