Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compass

Compass

Ok i can understand that theres no maps made so you dont have one, but why dont we have a compass, they are simple enough to make.

Atm i have to walk a bit and work out which coordinate is going up or down. I'd much rather have a simple compass that tells me what direction i am facing, this would make navigating much easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kebal View Post
    Ok i can understand that theres no maps made so you dont have one, but why dont we have a compass, they are simple enough to make.

Atm i have to walk a bit and work out which coordinate is going up or down. I'd much rather have a simple compass that tells me what direction i am facing, this would make navigating much easier for me.
    Psst, I'll tell you a secret, there is a compass in game, you only haven't found it yet.

It's even the biggest compass I'ver ever seen in any game. Don't look for it on the UI, look at the clouds in the sky instead.

(Strangely it's one of my favourite features in Xsyon, somehow I like this sort of thinking.)

The skies always fly north yes.
    The stream in a river/lake will always go south'ish.

The Sun rise in the East and sets in the west. In Xsyon too so it really should not be all that complicated figuring out what is north, what is south, west and east.
    Our forefathers navigated by stars (that gotta be even harder).. We should imo be able to navigate without a compass..

I'd much rather not stand around waiting till the sun/moon moved to tell if its setting or rising ( no clock/watch either ) to work out which way is west or east, and the direction of the clouds may not always be the same direction in real life, so this could change in game.

Now taking into account i can make a simple compass in about 5 minutes from stuff i can find in my house/garden/(nearby woods) i cant see why we cant have this simple and usefull tool ingame. I didnt say it was impossible to determine direction in my OP, it would just be alot faster and simpler if i had a simple home made compass.

We don't have metal pins. We don't have a container that can hold water for the pin to lay in.
    So, while you might be able to, we can't in-game for obvious reasons further more, we did lose most of our knowledge.. Take compass as one of those things we forgot.

Clouds -always- float north and there is not any news on that changing anytime soon. Same goes for the streams in rivers/lakes they always flow south (or more likely south west).

Whether you have an item you can click on that will tell you what direction you face or you look up doesn't matter except looking up at the clouds would be way faster (no need to go into your bin/pouches/bag, right click the compass and press the action button that appears.)
    But learning how to use the coordination system is the best way and a much better way of getting around than a compass.

well i thought a compass would of been a sensible addition since its still not exactly a GPS system or anything, ohh and btw the "pin" in a compass dosnt actualy need to be metal.

I'll accept defeat on this topic tho as it seems its not welcomed as people prefer to use the non realistic always traveling north clouds for direction instead

I would also like to see a container for water aswell btw ( a flask ).

Lol I wouldn't mind a compass really. I'm just saying it won't necessarily be easier to use than just look up at the clouds.

I didn't know that it wouldn't need to be metal, I though a compass worked because we have a magnetic field around earth with two strong magnetic poles. A bit curious, what else can you use?

If we ever get a container with a glass surface, a pin and the ability to fill the container with water I'm all for a compass you just right click and it tells you your direction .

Quote Originally Posted by VeryWiiTee View Post
    I didn't know that it wouldn't need to be metal, I though a compass worked because we have a magnetic field around earth with two strong magnetic poles. A bit curious, what else can you use?
    The first compasses were made of lodestone, a naturally-magnetized ore of iron. Ancient people found that if a lodestone was suspended [from a thread] so it could turn freely, it would always point in the same direction (toward the magnetic poles).

<reference; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass>

Hmm.. Got lodestones at home . They're not all that WUHUU magnetic, but as far as I know there are levels of lodestones and how magnetic they are.. Anywho, thanks for that info! Great to know I can make a compass at home without anything else.

I'm thinking that you would need to make sure the string is not moving, no? or it would keep turning/twisting?. (this would be for lodestones with a low magnetic field.)

It would be freaking AWESOME if your character took forth a lodestone and string for a few moments to determine north/south ?

Whoa, everyone here wants a compass, and maps are coming. Chill man. No idea who you are talking to but geez.

More than 1 way to make a compass man. I love the compass idea, its posted in another area already, you should post there.

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/project.php?issueid=884