Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crafting UI

Re:Crafting UI

The current system can be explained as "match the icon/logos" to each of the required items.

I think if something needs to be learned, it will come after prelude, as nothing so far I have found is 'hidden' item that can be used.

If (for example only) a Craft Knife can be used in place of Shears, it should be upto players to know if it can always be used on the pattern they are using, or only for some patterns. How the player learns this of course is thru trial and error.

I like the idea of Rclick craft menu requirement to see a list of known 'items' that can be used in place of the required item (including the required items). With the craft menu open, Mclick should place that item into the required slot if we know it can go there. But first we must know that Shears can go into a slot that requires a fabric cutting tool.

does using a Craft knife make it harder to make?

Its an example only... if I was to do something like this, I personally would allow it, but would make it so that the quality of the cut was less because you would be cutting the fabric free hand and would likely not follow a straight line.

Jadzia wrote:
    I wish there wasn't a crafting UI at all. I'd prefer a system where there was an option to 'use' an item, by rightclicking on it in your inventory. So if you want to craft something, use the proper tool on the materials in the proper order. If the craft requires something which you can't carry (like an anvil or a loom) then you should have to use the materials on that. And all these 'use items' should have an animation in the game, like you see your avatar using the loom or smithing a sword on an anvil. Crafting UI with windows is very immersion-breaking to me.
    This is a very good system and is VERY similar to Wurm Onlines system (A game that has a phenomenal crafting system).

I have already spoken at length with Jooky regarding this and he has said he will check out Wurm Online to see its crafting system and has also said that if the system works well and people like the idea, a change to a more Wurmesque crafting system is not out of the questions once a few of the other core systems are buckled down.

Wow I said system way too many times in that post.

And double posted

That using items on other items system is also a lot like crafting skills work in Asheron's Call. Of course you don't craft armor in that game but I do like that system. Haven't tried Wurm as I can't really get past the thought of practically no animations and completely identical characters. Also you did say system way to many times for a single post lol.

edaw22 wrote:
    Jadzia wrote:
    I wish there wasn't a crafting UI at all. I'd prefer a system where there was an option to 'use' an item, by rightclicking on it in your inventory. So if you want to craft something, use the proper tool on the materials in the proper order. If the craft requires something which you can't carry (like an anvil or a loom) then you should have to use the materials on that. And all these 'use items' should have an animation in the game, like you see your avatar using the loom or smithing a sword on an anvil. Crafting UI with windows is very immersion-breaking to me.
    This is a very good system and is VERY similar to Wurm Onlines system (A game that has a phenomenal crafting system).

I have already spoken at length with Jooky regarding this and he has said he will check out Wurm Online to see its crafting system and has also said that if the system works well and people like the idea, a change to a more Wurmesque crafting system is not out of the questions once a few of the other core systems are buckled down.
    I've never played Wurm, it hates my laptop, but I'm glad to hear that there is hope to avoid crafting windows

The logic behind wurm crafting may be okay and the fact that you have to combine stuff and put something into another container and such.

But this is the logic! We were talking about the UI, which is another part of the whole thing. I think the Wurm UI is not that good, even if you get used to it. You always have to right-click something and to choose an option from a list... this is a strong reduction of what a really good crafting UI could be.

I'm totally against the idea of contextual menus-only crafting. It's better to have a mix of
    - context menus (aka "wurm-like" to the layman)
    - direct manipulation of the environment (double click, step on, push, drag)
    - windows and slots (drag tools in equipment slots and similar)
    - drag and drop to combine (put an item in the inventory onto another item in the inventory or the environment to make them interact)
    - maybe some more

by having all these types of interaction the UI is less linear and boring.

TL;DR: wurm UI no. contextual menus (as in wurm) combined with other interactions, yes.

Oakstead wrote:
    Xsyon wrote:
    Hello MJ Green,

The problem with this is crafting allows you to use different tools and materials to create the same object, so you need to select the combination you want to use.
    Cool! Experimentation for the win.

Mj, good ideas although probably not a very high priority at the moment.

So experimentation... would this give different appearance to a shirt say depending on the materials used to make it? Or different stats of protection or attributes?

pid73 wrote:
    The logic behind wurm crafting may be okay and the fact that you have to combine stuff and put something into another container and such.

But this is the logic! We were talking about the UI, which is another part of the whole thing. I think the Wurm UI is not that good, even if you get used to it. You always have to right-click something and to choose an option from a list... this is a strong reduction of what a really good crafting UI could be.

I'm totally against the idea of contextual menus-only crafting. It's better to have a mix of
    - context menus (aka "wurm-like" to the layman)
    - direct manipulation of the environment (double click, step on, push, drag)
    - windows and slots (drag tools in equipment slots and similar)
    - drag and drop to combine (put an item in the inventory onto another item in the inventory or the environment to make them interact)
    - maybe some more

by having all these types of interaction the UI is less linear and boring.

TL;DR: wurm UI no. contextual menus (as in wurm) combined with other interactions, yes.
    I would also have to agree with less boring and more involved. Less automation also the less chance of botting or macroing. After all how long in earth days would it take you to find some pelt, treat it, cut it, sew it to make a hat or boots or shirt. Why make it all drop down menus and autofill... where is the fun in that?