Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crafting UI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re:Crafting UI

HA! I think this is exactly what I want

Wow I said system way too many times in that post.

And double posted

That using items on other items system is also a lot like crafting skills work in Asheron's Call. Of course you don't craft armor in that game but I do like that system. Haven't tried Wurm as I can't really get past the thought of practically no animations and completely identical characters. Also you did say system way to many times for a single post lol.

The logic behind wurm crafting may be okay and the fact that you have to combine stuff and put something into another container and such.

But this is the logic! We were talking about the UI, which is another part of the whole thing. I think the Wurm UI is not that good, even if you get used to it. You always have to right-click something and to choose an option from a list... this is a strong reduction of what a really good crafting UI could be.

I'm totally against the idea of contextual menus-only crafting. It's better to have a mix of
    - context menus (aka "wurm-like" to the layman)
    - direct manipulation of the environment (double click, step on, push, drag)
    - windows and slots (drag tools in equipment slots and similar)
    - drag and drop to combine (put an item in the inventory onto another item in the inventory or the environment to make them interact)
    - maybe some more

by having all these types of interaction the UI is less linear and boring.

TL;DR: wurm UI no. contextual menus (as in wurm) combined with other interactions, yes.

Or even a tab sorting by item "hats", "shirts" "belts" etc

I think on this I'd like to suggest instead of actually having to drag the tools onto the crafting box just make it so it auto does it if you have the tools in your bag same with resources required for crafting.