Thread: Zombis/Mutants

Zombis/Mutants

Zombies/Mutants

Zombies:
    -I think they should form bands which raid your camp every so often in game. This will give us a reason to build and maintain fortifications. We can work together to take down an army of zombies which would destroy any one of us alone.

-There could be zombi camps which we can make quests of raiding/ looting.

-Zombi groups could breed and tame Mutant/Undead animals and use them in battle as well.

-Hoards of zombis could guard rare resources

-single zombies can show up and surprise you, they seem to come right out of the ground. You never know when one will pop up, even in a safe zone (courtesy of Billpaustin)

-zombies gravitate to each other, and to living people. So towns tend to attract and accumulate hordes of zombies (eventually). Thinning them out is almost mandatory if they start grouping up.(courtesy of Billpaustin)

-zombi presence in town can be a factor of totem decay. If an entire camp does not log in, then their tribal area can be overrun by zombies. Abandonned homesteads would then eventually turn into zombie camps.

-I would also make different kinds of zombies, based on the people they used to be. Fighting zombies, crafting zombies, gathering zombies, etc. (courtesy of Billpaustin)

-masses of zombies could come from the mist and or reproduce in abandoned camps but people killed by zombies could cause a zombie version of you to spawn in that spot the following night

-zombies can loot players they kill. if the best pvper in the world got taken down by 15 zombies and I happen to kill one of them while he's at the loo or something, I could find that pvper's good axe.(Courtesy of Book)

- Give zombies the chances to VERY rarily to have an item that isn't craftable.(Courtesy of VeryWiiTee)

-A religious component be able to keep them from spawning inside my camp. Maybe a trinket a shaman or priest can make that I hang by my gate as one example. (Courtesy of Book)

-zombies will gather nearby and craft in their cities however as they will travel in groups at these times it will be tough to raid them and most times require a group and you will still have a high chance to loose.

The hard part will be the difficulty curve. A new player who has just rammed his first totem into the ground somewhere in the mountains needs to be able to survive while a whole tribe of high-level players still needs to find a challenge. The threat level of zombie attacks needs a lot of variation. Both new solo players and large tribes of high-level players need to find an appropriate and survivable challenge. (courtesy of Larsa)

A means to this end could be to have a variety of specie of zombi. Zombis could gravitate towards certain camps based on the levels of and number of members of that camp. If the tribe is a new players homestead, it would attract maybe 2-3 low level zombies per day. However if a tribe has 20 low level players, 10 medium lvl players and 2 high level players, a hoard consisting of 40 weak zombies, 20 moderate difficulty zombies and 1 or two boss-level zombies.
    Some of the different types of zombies could include
    Mindless types, which are fairly weak.
    Mutant types which are warped from the radiation. Could be weaker, but super fast. Or maybe slow but takes a lot of damage like armored zombie.
    Some that are very smart, using weapons, guns, tools, magic etc other types of stuff. (Courtesy of MrDDT)
    Some that are beffy and intimidating like the SuperMutants of Fallout
    Some that are like bosses, taking them down would be similar to a boss-battle.

Having few of these very powerful boss mutants wandering the map would be very cool. If you see one of these while out alone scavenging, youll have to run away and assemble a posse to be able to take it down (or just shit yourself). If you're in a big tribe you would all arm up when you see it on the horizon and go to war with its minions then attempt to take it down

I cant wait for things like this to be in the game.

Indeed im eager to see these things also.

Nice job b_ulam,

Quote Originally Posted by b_ulam View Post
    Zombies/Mutants

Zombies:
    -I think they should form bands which raid your camp every so often in game. This will give us a reason to build and maintain fortifications. We can work together to take down an army of zombies which would destroy any one of us alone.

-There could be zombi camps which we can make quests of raiding/ looting.

-Zombi groups could breed and tame Mutant/Undead animals and use them in battle as well.

-Hoards of zombis could guard rare resources
    I like this and would love to see an AI system that would let them do all this. But I have to ask, How hard would it be to add the code for this type of AI?

-single zombies can show up and surprise you, they seem to come right out of the ground. You never know when one will pop up, even in a safe zone (courtesy of Billpaustin)
    I like this in the way that you would never know when one would pop up, But I think they should be the same as all the rest and have to breed off each other to grow in numbers. And/Or as you said "people killed by zombies could cause a zombie version of you to spawn in that spot the following night".

-zombies gravitate to each other, and to living people. So towns tend to attract and accumulate hordes of zombies (eventually). Thinning them out is almost mandatory if they start grouping up.(courtesy of Billpaustin)
    Once again I like this idea, But to me I keep having to ask myself, Can NG code this into the game? To me this seems like something that would be hard to do. But wouldn't it be cool to see in-game

-zombi presence in town can speed or be the primary factor of totem decay. If an entire camp does not log in, then there tribal area can be overrun and eventually captured by zombies. Abandonned homesteads would then eventually turn into zombie camps which can be destroyed/captured by any player.
    Not liking this one line "If an entire camp does not log in", I'm all far them being able to raid or even take take over a camp. But the one thing that keeps me from wanting this here is the same thing I don't like the idea of PvP that could take over a camp. What if no one from a tribe can log in for a day, Or even two, three days. Just because no one can log in they should lose everything they have. And I may be out here all by myself on this one but I'm not a fan of that.

-I would also make different kinds of zombies, based on the people they used to be. Fighting zombies, crafting zombies, gathering zombies, etc. (courtesy of Billpaustin)
    Sounds fun and cool, But would this be more like adding NPC's into the game?

-masses of zombies could come from the mist and or reproduce in abandoned camps but people killed by zombies could cause a zombie version of you to spawn in that spot the following night

-zombies can loot players they kill. if the best pvper in the world got taken down by 15 zombies and I happen to kill one of them while he's at the loo or something, I could find that pvper's good axe.(Courtesy of Book)

- Give zombies the chances to VERY rarily to have an item that isn't craftable which is superior to crafted items.(Courtesy of VeryWiiTee)
    I have asked for toys to be added into the game many times, And to me this could be a toy to be played with. But at the same time I have to question if I want loot that isn't craftable and better than what we can make. I'm 50/50 on this one, I think it would give many people something fun to do and it could be done over and over with a reward that they can use and show off as a thing of pride. But at the same time I like the idea that only the best of everything in-game can only be made by the people playing the game.

-A religious component be able to keep them from spawning inside my camp. Maybe a trinket a shaman or priest can make that I hang by my gate as one example. (Courtesy of Book)

-zombies will gather nearby and craft in their cities however as they will travel in groups at these times it will be tough to raid them and most times require a group and you will still have a high chance to loose.

The hard part will be the difficulty curve. A new player who has just rammed his first totem into the ground somewhere in the mountains needs to be able to survive while a whole tribe of high-level players still needs to find a challenge. The threat level of zombie attacks needs a lot of variation. Both new solo players and large tribes of high-level players need to find an appropriate and survivable challenge. (courtesy of Larsa)

A means to this end could be to have a variety of specie of zombi. Zombis could gravitate towards certain camps based on the levels of and number of members of that camp. If the tribe is a new players homestead, it would attract maybe 2-3 low level zombies per day. However if a tribe has 20 low level players, 10 medium lvl players and 2 high level players, a hoard consisting of 40 weak zombies, 20 moderate difficulty zombies and 1 or two boss-level zombies.
    Some of the different types of zombies could include
    Mindless types, which are fairly weak.
    Mutant types which are warped from the radiation. Could be weaker, but super fast. Or maybe slow but takes a lot of damage like armored zombie.
    Some that are very smart, using weapons, guns, tools, magic etc other types of stuff. (Courtesy of MrDDT)
    Some that are beffy and intimidating like the SuperMutants of Fallout
    Some that are like bosses, taking them down would be similar to a boss-battle. These could be like the SuperMutantBehemoths of Fallout, which are 3 stories tall.

Having few of these very powerful behemoth mutants wandering the map would be very cool. If you see one of these while out alone scavenging, youll have to run away and assemble a posse to be able to take it down (or just shit yourself). If you're in a big tribe you would all arm up when you see it on the horizon and go to war with its minions then attempt to take it down
    I love, love, love the thought of an epic mob(s) in-game. But not a fan of super sized mob's. I would not mind a few meter's taller than the tallest PC, But I really don't want to deal with something so big that I have to stand in(notice I said in and not on top of) it's foot to be able to fight it. That just kill's it for me.

I really like some of this, but think it shouldn’t be in play all the time... I personally don't want Xsyon, world of zombies (mutants...ect...ect)... but would be very nice if tied into your world events idea, or perhaps once a season... determined randomly for suspense. (Similar to people going, o nooo its winter… now they can go, ooo no… its zombie season =).

Sounds fun and cool, But would this be more like adding NPC's into the game?
    Depends what you consider an NPC.

We wont be able to trade with or become friends with zombies.

The major interaction we have with them would be fighting and looting.

I would like them to have to gather the materials that they use to build up their camps, armours, etc. from the world as this way zombie presence would effect resource availability. If zombies could come and rip out your grass, or harvest the junk near you etc you would need to keep them in check in order to prevent them from using up all the local materials. If a zombie crafter is left alive with others bringing him materials for a long time he will craft better and better things and his zombimates will be better equipped and thus harder to take down.

P.S. I edited the OP in accordance with

Not liking this one line "If an entire camp does not log in", I'm all far them being able to raid or even take take over a camp. But the one thing that keeps me from wanting this here is the same thing I don't like the idea of PvP that could take over a camp. What if no one from a tribe can log in for a day, Or even two, three days. Just because no one can log in they should lose everything they have. And I may be out here all by myself on this one but I'm not a fan of that.
    and

But not a fan of super sized mob's. I would not mind a few meter's taller than the tallest PC, But I really don't want to deal with something so big that I have to stand in(notice I said in and not on top of) it's foot to be able to fight it. That just kill's it for me.
    (i nixed the supermutant behemoth)

and
    But at the same time I like the idea that only the best of everything in-game can only be made by the people playing the game.

Zombies should be tied into the Totem decay mechanic, so that if a tribe goes in active there totem starts to decay and attract zombies, clearing them could be a means of poping the totem.

At least then you could log back in and have a chance to reclaim your land.

Mutated players

Kudos to B_ulam for this thread and crediting those with all these great ideas!!! I have another idea that could be fun, and also work with the “Player driven” theme of Xsyon.

If you are attacked or attack a mutated creature and survive the fight, there could be a small chance (maybe 1 or 2%) that you could be infected by the creature. (I know this has been used in many games, but hang with me it gets better =) You would have say 15 to 20 minutes to get cured or you yourself would begin to mutate. A cure could be something very very rare. This would add a valuable item to the game that could help with trade and economy. This cure could be part of the cooking skills yet to come. It could be a combination of things like “Self Heal” herb (which for me has seemed quite rare) and some other herbs and plants, or even fish like a Tahoe Suckers.

Now lets say you don't have a cure on you, or can't find a cure and you mutate? You would gain huge increases in stats like strength, agility and dexterity while your intelligence would drop to almost nothing. (You won't want to be crafting much while mutated. lol) You would also become contagious yourself, and there could be some nasty visual changes to your character. Along with things like flies buzzing all around you. (This would help any would be victims to recognize an infected player before they get to them). This would also give tribes a reason to band together to kill this very hard to kill player who is running around trying to infect people.

OK now that you are a mutant you have a choice. You can either find something to kill you which you would then re-spawn normal again (suffering a death penalty) You can wait for the mutation to eventually kill you in say 48 hours? You can try and find a cure but since you are highly contagious most people are going to run from you. Or you can go out and hunt other people and try to turn them into mutants as well. =) Some people will try to become mutants simply for the added stats and to go out and razz others. This is why I suggested it be very rare chance of mutating 1 or 2% at most. And that you die from it and suffer a death penalty if not cured.

Another idea that Guybrush had is that once infected you stay infected until cured and you don't die. Since you are infected, you could infect your whole tribe making the tribe outcasts until they can afford to cure everyone in the tribe.

On a side note; I personally don't care for the name “Zombies” sounds too much like an Undead/skelleton game theme were Mutants seem more fitting for Xsyon. In part because you can have mutated animals like three headed Bears or Deer with sharp horns, read eyes and breathing blasts of green stench lol.

Zombies by definition are
    a. A supernatural power or spell that according to voodoo belief can enter into and reanimate a corpse.
    b. A corpse revived in this way. I would think in a post apocalyptic world you would have toxic radiation and chemicals that could mutate any creature. Coming back from the dead seems like another thing entirely. Just my thoughts.