Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

is this... released?

I'm pretty confused.
    I haven't seen or heard much about this game in months, and in checking it out again, it looks from various posts I've read that the game is either released, where you must pay and subscribe in order to play, or in beta (only a month ago a post was made requesting more testers on the official announcements subforum, but the form now seems dead/blocked). It sounds like this week updates are going in that seem like basic core features (such as item decay), which helps confuse me in figuring out the state of the game.

So.. anyone able to clarify? My best guess is this is an unpolished release, ala minecraft's incredibly long paid-for beta, designed to help test and fund the full-featured (non-prelude?) release of the game?

If that's where we are, that's all good. For something intending to be a sandbox, I can dig on that. It's a little higher priced then I would have expected for something in that state, but again I'm not certain what the actual state of the game is.

Thanks in advance.

My best guess is this is an unpolished release, ala minecraft's incredibly long paid-for beta, designed to help test and fund the full-featured (non-prelude?) release of the game?
    This
    (damn the letter count to post)

Prelude is pay to play, yes it has been released. Much work needs to be done, but the game still fun to play, as far as building goes.

Just to verify, by building, you don't mean to say that hunting, leatherworking, etc. that are listed in the install doc are not in working condition yet, right? I'm assuming what's listed in the install doc is currently working and enjoyable features, and pvp/combat is probably a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by glug View Post
    Just to verify, by building, you don't mean to say that hunting, leatherworking, etc. that are listed in the install doc are not in working condition yet, right? I'm assuming what's listed in the install doc is currently working and enjoyable features, and pvp/combat is probably a work in progress.
    Only skills not working are cooking and animal taming. There is hunting, but you have to look like crazy for an animal to kill. there is pvp, but its a work in progress. many people dont like the game cause is very hard to get started, if you dont feel like joining a tribe. As far as soloing if you ask people will give you the tools you need to get started.

Working is a very very loose term here.
    Animal taming and Cooking are NOT even put into the game at all yet.
    Things that are working, I cant even list because its up for major debate. Sadly the game is released in this state.

DDT is like Tequila, you have to take em with a little salt and lime. He means well most of the time.

As far as things in game.

Can you gather materials and work them into an item and use it. Yes.
    Does clothing/armor add protection. Yes.
    Do baskets hold items? Yes.
    If you hit someone with a weapon or your fist do they take damage. Yes.
    Can you make tools to make other items. Yes.
    Skin animals for materials? Yes.
    Claim land for yourself, to build into a creative place you can call home? Yes.

In short, the game is playable, there are flaws and issues that need to be addressed and fixed but this will come in time. If you aren't a patient person, then I wouldn't suggest this game quite yet, but give it some time and things will look better.

you can do a lot in the game.

building and terraforming is actually a lot of fun, until it's not

while you can 'do' a lot of stuff, the only reason to do it, is to do it...the glue that binds the elements of the game has not yet set, nor has it actually been devised.

honestly i think it's worth the purchase just for the city build sim aspect...there are a lot of hours of entertainment in that element alone. just don't have a lot of expectations for anything else, because you'll be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by krimara View Post
    DDT is like Tequila, you have to take em with a little salt and lime. He means well most of the time.

As far as things in game.

Can you gather materials and work them into an item and use it. Yes.
    Does clothing/armor add protection. Yes.
    Do baskets hold items? Yes.
    If you hit someone with a weapon or your fist do they take damage. Yes.
    Can you make tools to make other items. Yes.
    Skin animals for materials? Yes.
    Claim land for yourself, to build into a creative place you can call home? Yes.

In short, the game is playable, there are flaws and issues that need to be addressed and fixed but this will come in time. If you aren't a patient person, then I wouldn't suggest this game quite yet, but give it some time and things will look better.
    Yes you can gather and make items, BUT they have almost no value, not traded and used mostly to gain skills for almost no reason.
    Yes it protects you, BUT very little and has negs to it like makes you heavy so you cant chase people
    Does baskets hold items, yep however, its a pain in the butt to try to interface with those baskets and working with them on the ground, permissions etc
    Weapons do do damage if you hit people however, fist is the best weapon, and combat is just bad in so many ways right now (I would call it broken).
    Yes you can make tools and other items, BUT they are of very little use value and balancing for how long til they break needs to be done greatly.
    Yes you can skin animals for mats, IF you can find them, and dont mind sitting there for 3 mins to kill one and dont mind being overweight and exploiting death porting back home.
    Claim land, yep. But you cant take it from others, you have to have a ton of people to join your land to get any kind of real room to build and there is no reason to take 1 piece of land over another.

Yes playable? Sure if you use it loosely but fun? I would say not for most people. Very few people find the current game "fun". Most people I know playing are playing because of the hope that it will be so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    building and terraforming is actually a lot of fun, until it's not
    Like this quote and its very true