Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    To reiterate what MrDDT said in the above post about the need to reward players for successful parries in the correct direction - see the M&B tutorial at time=5:23 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jHc...ailpage#t=323s. This video breaks it down perfectly:

Spam attacks:
    -No matter the weapon speed difference
    -No matter how much you spin your mouse
    -No matter where you are standing...
    If the other person swings back after a block/parry immediately, you must block or you will be hit!

This is exactly the type of advantage we need in Xsyon for a successful parry or block. I think the simplest way to do this is by giving the defender a fully charged adrenaline bar right after a successful parry that lasts 1 to 2 seconds. Then adjust the animations so that the rules listed above holds true.

This will require a short cooldown animation added to the person who had his/her attack parried. The animation can show the weapon kicking back as shown at t=5:37 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jHc...ailpage#t=337s

Adding this feature would not only reward skilled players for well timed blocks and parries but also make for a more engaging melee combat system.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    To reiterate what MrDDT said in the above post about the need to reward players for successful parries in the correct direction - see the M&B tutorial at time=5:23 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jHc...ailpage#t=323s. This video breaks it down perfectly:

Spam attacks:
    -No matter the weapon speed difference
    -No matter how much you spin your mouse
    -No matter where you are standing...
    If the other person swings back after a block/parry immediately, you must block or you will be hit!

This is exactly the type of advantage we need in Xsyon for a successful parry or block. I think the simplest way to do this is by giving the defender a fully charged adrenaline bar right after a successful parry that lasts 1 to 2 seconds. Then adjust the animations so that the rules listed above holds true.

This will require a short cooldown animation added to the person who had his/her attack parried. The animation can show the weapon kicking back as shown at t=5:37 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jHc...ailpage#t=337s

Adding this feature would not only reward skilled players for well timed blocks and parries but also make for a more engaging melee combat system.

I think 1/2 adrenaline , that way they can charge it if they want. Full energy bar is pretty harsh. What I dont want to see is 2 people standing around waiting for the other to attack so they can parry haha.

But ya, we are talking about minor diff vs 1/2 to full anyways. Key like you say is reward players for parrying else they wont use it. 0 damage is a reward, but the attacker loses nothing. Thus nothing is gained by parrying, only nothing lost.

Having said that, I would like to see bigger sweep arcs on weapons. IE, Attacking from left to right, should hit someone to the left of you more and less to the right. Same goes for the other way. You can even make this even more extreme when someone using left arm to attack left to right, it should sweep out further to hit them but much less to the right.

Lets assume the current attack arcs are 80 degrees. This 80 degrees is always focused in the center of the attacker no matter what. (This is the current).
    What I propose is to shift that arc based on which arm they use, and which DIR they are attacking from.

So right now think of it like this like a clock or 360 degrees with 0 being perfectly in front of the attacker. Right now, the 80 degree arc is 320, to 40 degrees. This can be if you attack with your left or right arm, left to right attacks or right to left attacks. (all attacks even overhead, low attacks, and trusts).

What I think should happen is if you use a Low, overhead, and thrust attack with your:
    Left arm it shifts this arc from 320 to 40, to 300 to 20 degrees.
    Right arm it shifts this arc from 320 to 40, to 340 to 60 degrees.

What I think should happen is if you use a left to right attack attack with your:
    Left arm 280 to 0 degrees.
    Right arm 0 to 80 degrees.

This will allow targets to be hit off to the side and help control the need to spin around as much, also allowing attackers to choose attacks based on which side the target is attacking from. My main reason for saying this is currently, if you swing your weapon from right to left with the target on the right side of you, the weapon will go right through them. Also if you swing your weapon with the target slightly off to the left of you, the weapon wont look like it even hits them yet the target will be hit.

Should I post that in suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    I think 1/2 adrenaline
    Yep, that is probably more balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    Yep, that is probably more balanced.
    I was thinking this from the other way around, its likely better to apply a debuff to the attacker, that way if you have more than one person attacking then the attacker feels those parries more, and its a bonus. Reason I think this, is that the defender could then parry, get a buff and attack someone else. When its really the attacker that should be debuffed.

So, Im thinking maybe like 1/2 defense debuff after having your attack parried.

Thanks for this detailed feedback!

I agree with the requested parry improvements. Some of this requires animations to be added and revised, so it will take a few days to get to the Test Server.

I need to think about how we can test the split in an animation between the 'draw back' and the 'release' portion of the animation without adjusting the actual animations every time. Right now animation speeds are being adjusted in the code. Once we're satisfied with the balance, they will be remade to the correct timing and only slightly adjusted in the code based on the player's agility.

We will add attacks to all players within the weapons swing range / arc. This will alleviate the difficultly of one player taking on several in battle.

Thanks again. We'll have more changes up soon!

Sounds good.

About the "draw back" and "release" time. Maybe it can be more something where the weapon's speed doesnt change with AGI, but AGI effects how fast you can attack again.
    IE, if you have low AGI you have to wait 200ms between attacks, while someone with high AGI wont have to wait at all.