Free Trial Suggestion

From what I understand there will be a separate free trial server, however I think with some limitations they would get a better experience from not being segregated.

The purpose of the limitations is to prevent exploiting with free trial accounts.

1. Cannot drop a totem on a free trial account.
    2. Free trial accounts do not count towards tribe radius.
    3. When a free trial ends if the player has not subscribed the character is deleted (could give a few day's grace period for this)
    4. Limit max free trial accounts per IP. (3 would be enough imo)

To entice people to subscribe before their trial ends do it like EVE does where if you sub before your trial is over then you get the 30 day's that comes with your account after you purchase plus however many day's are left on your free trial. (paying for the game would remove the free trial limitations)

If you can think of anything else that would makes sense to block please post here.

I know people are going to complain about free trials cutting trees down as alts, however I think the ratio to free trials/upgrade would be much lower if they are put on a server where everyone is less than 2 weeks. They will not really get to experience the game and what you can do on a separate server imo.

Free trials should be based more on the players experience than what the minority of players will do with free trial alts, with the proper limitations exploiting can be avoided as much as possible.

Xsyon Citizen
    A couple of us were talking about something like this the other day. What they should do is have a trial/newbie island. So that when you start the game you have a tutorial to go through with quests maybe to take you through the different aspects of the game. Your suggestions and ours could be combined so that trial accounts and new players can start out on there own island (Server) were they can do what ever they want and the only way to leave the island is to subscribe.

The island would also be a good spot for new players, so they can have a guide, guide them through different aspects of the game. Chopping trees, crafting, terraforming and all that other jaz. I think this would be good for new players. After they complete the tutorial they can then choose to take a boot to whatever starting area of their choice.

This might be good for free players as well. Allow them to do whatever they want up to a certain point. To beyond that they need to subscribe. This will also prevent those people that buy and start drop a totem and then quit when they can't figure it out or don't like what they are playing.

Quote Originally Posted by simple69 View Post
    A couple of us were talking about something like this the other day. What they should do is have a trial/newbie island. So that when you start the game you have a tutorial to go through with quests maybe to take you through the different aspects of the game. Your suggestions and ours could be combined so that trial accounts and new players can start out on there own island (Server) were they can do what ever they want and the only way to leave the island is to subscribe.

The island would also be a good spot for new players, so they can have a guide, guide them through different aspects of the game. Chopping trees, crafting, terraforming and all that other jaz. I think this would be good for new players. After they complete the tutorial they can then choose to take a boot to whatever starting area of their choice.

This might be good for free players as well. Allow them to do whatever they want up to a certain point. To beyond that they need to subscribe. This will also prevent those people that buy and start drop a totem and then quit when they can't figure it out or don't like what they are playing.
    I really don't think people will enjoy the game if they get put on some island where they are trapped and surrounded by a huge mess of other trial players tearing it all up with their terraforming projects.

Free trials should be able to experience the game as close to the same features as a sub'd account - if they can only join other tribes like I suggested and their radius doesn't count towards a tribe's growth they will get a better overall experience and will be more likely to sub.

I know I would hate this game if I started on some island with a bunch of other noobs and was forced to do quests in a game that's not designed to be played that way.

the point of a free trial imo is about getting to experience most aspects of the game so that you would know if it's a game you would like to play.

How would you know if you love or hate the combat in this game if you were stuck on that island? there's so many things to this game that you just wouldn't know.

I dont think most people will enjoy the game if you allow free trial's even with all those limitations.

They will cause nothing but problems I'm telling you. Sure you might pick up a few here or there, but most will cause most people to quit.

Terraforming issues, resources use issues, paving issues. Spamming of chat issues. Not being held accountable issues for things like PVP, and clear cutting.

Those are just a few, you have tons of reasons not to allow this with only 1 reason to. Allowing this only allows the people not wanting to join the game because it costs money to "try" the game.

Xsyon Citizen
    Where i said "island" I didn't mean it was a tiny little island were you couldn't do anything. I mean "island" as in a either a separate server or a separate area. The last thing you want is a influx of say 3000 people running around in the current world creating tribes or clear cutting areas to experience the game and then quitting a week later. Then we are in the same situation we are now with hundreds of inactive tribes taking up space in the game.

I think there should be a starting tutorial that will take them through all the aspects of the game, like a instanced tutorial were they can experience all aspects of the game, building, collecting, combat and everything. At the end of that tutorial they join the real world in the starting area of their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by simple69 View Post
    Where i said "island" I didn't mean it was a tiny little island were you couldn't do anything. I mean "island" as in a either a separate server or a separate area. The last thing you want is a influx of say 3000 people running around in the current world creating tribes or clear cutting areas to experience the game and then quitting a week later. Then we are in the same situation we are now with hundreds of inactive tribes taking up space in the game.

I think there should be a starting tutorial that will take them through all the aspects of the game, like a instanced tutorial were they can experience all aspects of the game, building, collecting, combat and everything. At the end of that tutorial they join the real world in the starting area of their choice.

I agree with this.

You have quite a few people trying the game most didnt stay. Mostly because I think they had no idea what they are doing. There is nothing to help them out. Out of the people that join tribes a much much higher % stay playing because they get info from people and have a direction.

A walk through or a tutorial is much needed.

Starting tutorial is key....its easy to be lost in the world.... I also think its best to keep them separate.

Free trial players screw around a lot, mostly not an issue...but in a world where you can leave lasting effects. it will be a major issue.