Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re:Navigation Suggestion

edaw22 wrote:
    Personally I would like to see an extremely basic map we get when we start, that has only a vague outline of Lake Tahoe and a dot where we are. Then later I would like to see a cartography skill that allows players to make more detailed maps using paper that have things such as area names, landmarks, player marked locations etc.

Though I'm not sure exactly how the skill would function/level up.

As far as compasses, likewise id like to see the player start off with a basic one that just shows North, then have them craftable with players able to make better ones, more accurate and with the other cardinal points.

Thoughts?
    I think you are on to something edaw.... A player that had the ability to construct a map of Xsyon would have the ability to construct a valuable and personal item.... If the cartagrapher has the ability to input text in the map, that adds to the depth of the game, by adding "this encampment of the brotherhood of change has locker in tent #2 with supplies" or "Here there be monsters". Of course, adding to the richness would be the ability to sell the maps.

I'd imagine that if scavenging and digging will be in game, then why not reverse the skill and have burying... time capsules, treasure, etc. (I don't see too many banks in post apocalyptia, but I do see lots of holes being dug, with maps leading to those holes).

I'd suggest signal smokes, like from campfire when firestarting comes in place. This ofc would be seen by everyone and could lure baddies too but it would show you your location and others. I've been thinking this alot and it would be really fit for the game!

-------edit:
    another is ofc cartography and compasses but compass is well, kinda modern thingie cartography would be cool if you'd need leather for it and cartography skills.

Mordant wrote:
    I'd suggest signal smokes, like from campfire when firestarting comes in place. This ofc would be seen by everyone and could lure baddies too but it would show you your location and others. I've been thinking this alot and it would be really fit for the game!

-------edit:
    another is ofc cartography and compasses but compass is well, kinda modern thingie cartography would be cool if you'd need leather for it and cartography skills.
    The mapping of magnetic fields/poles is anything but modern, however, I suppose the compass we're used to and it's visual accompaniment is fairly modern though.

Offhand I believe something along the lines of the "Olmec Artifact" was a compass-type device found to be dated around 1200 BC.

As well the Chinese have a history of it dating back to 4th century BC.

(My dates might be minorly off, I'm at work and can't exact fact-check)

Celestial Navigation is really cool, but it is best to know the date and time, and identify constellations in the sky.

The sun rises over there, lets call that east.

go play wurm and navigate there, the game has a compass but hard to get as it is made from olive oil , a needel and a pottery bowl

No user interface compass is needed. I have no objections to a craftable one if it takes up a hand slot in order to look at it. This game should try to be as realistic as possible in regards to character actions.

I have been exploring quite a bit and you get to know your way around eventually. A help is a basic map of Lake Tahoe so you know where Round Hill is located relative to everything else.

Yes, I just happened to have such a map in my pocket when I wandered into the Lake Tahoe region. :laugh:

From Features: Characters achieving the Supreme Master level of craftsmanship work with the Xsyon team to introduce a crafted item of their own design.

So best get crafting in-game when it is released to introduce a compass? :P

Me and edaw were discussing this at length the other day, and we came up with a few pretty good ideas, like a paint-like program where you can draw and write notes that cannot be erased (so paper needs to be respected and not just spam), some form of in game screenshot system using a skill so that you take the shot and the less realistic it looks the lower skill (like portrait art, and then possibly being able to hang these in houses/tribal areas etc), and a craftable compass as mentioned.

Also, the drawing function would lead people to making things like star maps and proper hand made maps of the area, with land marks and codes built in (in case unwanted eyes get their hands on it). Do I here real life treasure maps on the horizon? Or ellaborate National Treasure style treasure hunts?

I like the idea of using the stars/sun and terrain as a method of orientation Never seen it in a game so it will be interesting to experience and I believe it will be a game separating feature: all games have a ui compass these days...