Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Some features that I think would be incredibly fun

Hello! First off, let me introduce myself. I am CouldntDeal. I guess I would just like to get my ideas out someway, so here I go.
    (*Note: Some features may already be in play, I'm just adding everything in a ball)

Hydration and Hunger so that players who like to farm can do so, with purpose. Help feed the village. Fresh water (Flowing) must be gathered for the village, no drinking still water (I've played Oregon Trail. You don't want dysentery). Everything is the game can be crafted. So crafting is a primary thing. Say you actually have a couple people in your village, awesome great. Now what? Gather some wood, kill a bear for hide/food. Use the hide for clothes, food for... well, food. Also, taming system would be nice. "Whoa guys! A Random Yak has appeared!" *CouldntDeal used Tame* "It's super effective!" Then now I have a yak. Say I tamed a Male and Female yak. Now they can breed, and I can kill some off If I needed food. Also, now I can keep them in my Farm/Ranch area in our village. Oh, say we wanted to travel... Boom bust out some wood, craft a wagon. Awh man, I don't want to pull this wagon... Bam grab the Yak. Attach that bad boy to the wagon. Now you can travel. Your buddies can ride on it as well. Oh, and you can also fill that thing up with some items you scavenge.

What if you don't like Farming/Ranging? Psh, go Mining for your village. Bring back raw material. Maybe be able to craft gold and silver coins for your village alone. Make some sort of currency among yourself. Granted, it may not be worth anything to anyone else in their village, but in yours... it can. Also, this allows players in the village to make new buildings. Shops if you will. The Armor smith can now trade stuff for material, make armors, and sell/trade it to allied players, or tribal players. Same goes with weapon smith. Gatherers can go out and grab Dyes from plants, wood/mining materials ect. Righteous. Hm back to that wagon thing again... Load that sucker up with a bunch of stuff your tribe has crafted, bring it on over to a nearby tribe. (Now we're thinking with trading. You might want to bring some body guards as well. You never know.) See if you want to trade. Or, go to the nearest tribe with an empty wagon, and fill it with the nearest tribes resources. I don't care what you do, that'd be badass.

Now, what would be another thing I find that would be incredibly amazing, would be ships. With Ocean as well. No skill requirement to craft a ship, just a balls ton of resources. And I mean a lot of resources. So that tribes can work hard for their ships. This allows piracy, along with fishing, or mass fishing with nets, that could be made out of rope, which is made out of hemp, which is grown on a farm. See where I'm going with this? If you catch a bunch of fish, and have too much. Trade it for something else? Or just keep it in your stockpile. A game like this is truly open ended, and easy to play around with for a good gaming experience.

Now, again, these are just my thoughts and opinions, feel free to change them up as much as you want. But think about how fun that would be.

Sorry about the wall of text! But thanks for reading!

- CouldntDeal

Does this game not currently have a thirst/hunger system and the ability to grow crops? Growing crops is a LOT of fun for me, in a sandbox game. I was hoping Xsyon would have these features.

Crops, agriculture has been discussed. Its part of the plan for the future

@CouldntDeal

All of those ideas are meaningless if yo're attacked by terrorizing zombie hordes and griefing players. If all of the conflict-obsessed players get their way this game will be so bled dry that there won't be any life left for anything other than signing its funeral papers and giving everyone the bad news one dark day in december on the front page that the game has been shtudown.

No room for art or culture or community or building or exploring. Just murder.

Just say goodbye to a mmo-rpg that could have been special and remembered.

It'll be just another shadowbane or darkfall or any number of other pvp-mmorpgs.

Building a fresh new world is innovative. It's new. Go in that direction, developers!

Most mmorpgs have you led by a carrot through amusement park rides.

You don't change the world in those games. They're static.

They don't even come close to what Xyson could be. This is something special.

But no, lets just throw it all away and obsess about conflict.

A bad memory filled with remorse for what could have been...

Quote Originally Posted by Mahkia View Post
    Does this game not currently have a thirst/hunger system and the ability to grow crops? Growing crops is a LOT of fun for me, in a sandbox game. I was hoping Xsyon would have these features.
    I've read that trees grow in spring from seeds cast by last years trees ... and players can spread the seeds. You can cut down select trees. The mechanics are there for this, I think.

For every PVP MMO you can name that failed I can name 5 that were NOT PVP that failed.

I understand you are not into PVP, but doesnt mean its insta death for an MMO.

I can see you are new here, and really dont know much about the game, but the safety in this game vs PVP is very high. Try playing it before being upset with open world PVP.

Even though this thread has been necroed a couple of times now.

I feel PvP has a place in a game like this, otherwise it gets stagnant, and people will just get bored in game and leave for greener or newer pastures.

I think there should be HARSH consiquences for unprovoked killings. There should be some form of economy other than who can make the best armour or weapons. I could go on for pages of things that make a great MMORPG Sandbox, but I wont here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodo View Post
    Even though this thread has been necroed a couple of times now.

I feel PvP has a place in a game like this, otherwise it gets stagnant, and people will just get bored in game and leave for greener or newer pastures.

I think there should be HARSH consiquences for unprovoked killings. There should be some form of economy other than who can make the best armour or weapons. I could go on for pages of things that make a great MMORPG Sandbox, but I wont here.
    YOu don't get it. A game doesn't need conflict to be successful. It needs players and broad open spaces where they can live and share in each others presence. Culture and art are valuable things. These happen when players build homes and villages and cities and unique crafts and trade relationships form and friendships blossom and people express themselves in myriads of ways. Bringing conflict into the equation turns on the fear-portion of our brain. What this does is makes people stupid and instinctive. It essentially shuts off the creative part of our brain and turns these games into a cesspool of revenge and bloodlust and frustration and ultimately they transform into gravesites where past heroes and villains moarn. A dead game. A wailing desperation that shrieks in empty starved places. Picture a landscape of bones and darkness and ghosts of long dead children looking for their parents. See drybeds where rivers once flowed. See eroded things turned to rock and ragged cliffs where none can enter. Feel the pain, the isolation, the exhaustion.

1) building
    2) exploration
    3) hunting

Those're the things this needs most of all. From this social communities can form. And the more you allow players to express themselves (peacefully), the stronger the vibe will be.

Whatever you do, don't turn on the fear portion of the brain.

It's worse than sex. It's worse than greed.

Make it so that 99% of animals leave people alone and only become aggressive when attacked - some become more aggressive than others and some are social (help each other if attacked) and some will walk away if you stop attacking and some panic and run the moment you lift your hand. Animals that harm players without being attacked should be few and far between - but when they do strike, their should be enough time so that players can work together to defeat them and the animal should not be able to destroy whole villages. The worst that should happen is some moderate repairing will be needed. But I think animals like this should attack in small spurts where it hunts players in a village and causes a few scratches to buildings and then leaves to nearby forest until players come together and kill it. It should not spend all its time in one place or one village - it should move around so it does not stop the flow of the game too long in any single area. This allows word to spread about it.

There should be warnings to players so they're aware that these kinds of things can happen. There's NOTHING worse in a game than to be misled about its dangers and then experience them. Nothing will make a player quit the game faster than that. Expectations have to be just right.

The game doesn't neeed this, but the hunters might. The key thing is not to let this conflict drive the rest of the game. Have it so that it's meaningful in small portions. The rest of the time hunters will just be going after food and hides and animals to tame. Players that build or craft and explore can do that and 99.999% of the time they won't have to worry about being attacked from behind. Only hunters face a higher chance for the very fact that they're in the deep forest where the animals will be. In fact, even in populated areas, attacks shouldn't be big surprises. Whether it's zombies or animals, they should make lots of noise. Players need to be in control, not a victim of circumstance.

Game is driven by things that people build and the things they share, like stories, friendships, crafts, appearance, etc. These should be the bedrock of the whole game. Expressing oneself is IT.

Sparklingshores,

I think you are taking to much reality into the concept of online conflict.

But to continue on that thought path and arguement. War has also brought some of the greatest accomplishments in human history, both militarly, scientifically and medically. During the early wars for Rome, the Democracy was born, people were given rights, and votes to govern themselves. Steel, Temperd Steel, Stainless Steel, Damascus Steel, Gunpowder, emergancy medical triage, hygene, sanitation, roads, and a number of other things besides Nuclear power were the results of war. The Automobile, became affordable because of two reasons, Henry Ford, and WWI. Conflict is what drives man, man needs conflict to better ones self, without it we become stagnant and lazy. Conflict is the way of life on Earth, all living animals on Earth live in a constant state of conflict with its surroundings. In Africa, the Gazzel is constantly struggling to survive against the Cheetah, the Cheetah struggles to survive by keeping its kills from the Hyena, the Hyena struggles to survive against the Lion, the Lion is in conflict with man, who without technology is in conflict with everything. Even some of the smallest living things on Earth, Ants, often war with each other. In the Amazon Rain Forrest, the US Army studdies ant colonies and how they wage war on other colonies.

I get what you are saying. But there is a need in an online game like this for conflict, otherwise your normal and more numerous players out there will get bored and leave.

I have played open world PvP games before that actually rarely seen PvP. Hell Roma Victor was the greatest of those examples. There were at most 1000 people in that game, and in all my years playing, I think there was probably 50 PvP encounters that I had that I wasnt prepaired for or aware of before they happened. We even had a player who didnt like PvP, he hated it, he even accepted the occasional PVP raid in our territory, but we were prepaired for it. I had defences built, a place to work unharrassed by PvPers, where they couldnt get to you or your stuff.

Xsyon is much the same, here you can work in peace in your tribal area without fear of being attacked. Even if that were turned off, just build walls around your place, or even a fence to keep people out, it works you would be surpised.

I in real life have seen the face of war, I do not like it. If I had to go again, I would if it meant I would keep someone who has not gone from seeing what I have seen. I prepaired my WHOLE life for war, and I was not fully prepaired for the things I seen, or more importantly smelled, and seen done by other human beings. War is not pretty, it is not kind, it is not fun. It is exactly what it should be terrifying. But in an online game, it should keep its romance like in the movies and in the books, and at the same time it should be exciting and thrilling. Xsyon is right on the edge of getting that feeling, and one misstep by the devs could lead it the wrong way. Avoiding PvP would be the wrong way.

I know I would leave quickly if this game turned into another Wurm Online Freedom Isles, I know of many others who would do the same. Sure Xsyon may gain 5-10 non-pvp players, but they would lose 5 times that in players who want the chance at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodo View Post
    Sparklingshores,

I think you are taking to much reality into the concept of online conflict.

But to continue on that thought path and arguement. War has also brought some of the greatest accomplishments in human history, both militarly, scientifically and medically. During the early wars for Rome, the Democracy was born, people were given rights, and votes to govern themselves. Steel, Temperd Steel, Stainless Steel, Damascus Steel, Gunpowder, emergancy medical triage, hygene, sanitation, roads, and a number of other things besides Nuclear power were the results of war. The Automobile, became affordable because of two reasons, Henry Ford, and WWI. Conflict is what drives man, man needs conflict to better ones self, without it we become stagnant and lazy. Conflict is the way of life on Earth, all living animals on Earth live in a constant state of conflict with its surroundings. In Africa, the Gazzel is constantly struggling to survive against the Cheetah, the Cheetah struggles to survive by keeping its kills from the Hyena, the Hyena struggles to survive against the Lion, the Lion is in conflict with man, who without technology is in conflict with everything. Even some of the smallest living things on Earth, Ants, often war with each other. In the Amazon Rain Forrest, the US Army studdies ant colonies and how they wage war on other colonies.

I get what you are saying. But there is a need in an online game like this for conflict, otherwise your normal and more numerous players out there will get bored and leave.

I have played open world PvP games before that actually rarely seen PvP. Hell Roma Victor was the greatest of those examples. There were at most 1000 people in that game, and in all my years playing, I think there was probably 50 PvP encounters that I had that I wasnt prepaired for or aware of before they happened. We even had a player who didnt like PvP, he hated it, he even accepted the occasional PVP raid in our territory, but we were prepaired for it. I had defences built, a place to work unharrassed by PvPers, where they couldnt get to you or your stuff.

Xsyon is much the same, here you can work in peace in your tribal area without fear of being attacked. Even if that were turned off, just build walls around your place, or even a fence to keep people out, it works you would be surpised.

I in real life have seen the face of war, I do not like it. If I had to go again, I would if it meant I would keep someone who has not gone from seeing what I have seen. I prepaired my WHOLE life for war, and I was not fully prepaired for the things I seen, or more importantly smelled, and seen done by other human beings. War is not pretty, it is not kind, it is not fun. It is exactly what it should be terrifying. But in an online game, it should keep its romance like in the movies and in the books, and at the same time it should be exciting and thrilling. Xsyon is right on the edge of getting that feeling, and one misstep by the devs could lead it the wrong way. Avoiding PvP would be the wrong way.

I know I would leave quickly if this game turned into another Wurm Online Freedom Isles, I know of many others who would do the same. Sure Xsyon may gain 5-10 non-pvp players, but they would lose 5 times that in players who want the chance at it.
    Saying that war is good because some good things come out of it is like saying it's ok to kidnap someone if you give them free meals and teach them english. I'm not debating with you that good things have come out of war, but what I am telling you is that losing an arm and replacing it with a prosthetic arm may seem like a good deal if your only other choice is no arm, but a prosthetic arm is definitely not better than the original. More than that, in real life we can't decide to live in a wolrd without war. It's thrust on us. But in a game we have a choice.

Your mind is conflict-based right now. Maybe someday the sun will shine on your side of hte fence and you'll realize that a game doesn't need it. In fact, a recent study came out that suggested broad open uncontested spaces for settlement had as much impact on our evolution as competition did. There's a whole division of eovlutionary theory that focuses on this.

However, I realize that there's probably a part of our dna that makes us yearn for 'some' conflict. I want to keep that conflict to a minimum and I don't want it to be other players. So I choose non-player type conflits: animals, zombies, etc. This way you can prevent griefing and other less tolerable behavior. If done right, it should be able to satisfy just as well as many single player games. For example, in minecraft players will build all sorts of things in the world and part of the purpose for doing that is to protect themselves from the monsters that come out at night. But that's not the sole reason. A big huge part of minecraft is the building and exploring aspect. Players look for new vistas and dungeon loot. They build unimaginably complex and beautiful structures from the many types of shapes and mateirals in the game. Thsi component is the single most important aspect of the game.

I know there're hunter-killer players out there with lust for blood. They make me sick. But nonetheless, they're part of the human dna and I am bound to them just as wool to sheep. I am not self-righteous in my aims. I understand we're all part of the human tree. We all have thirsts.

What's more important than what I think or you tuink is Xyson surviving the next few years and thriving. That's what I want. That's what you want. After the dust settles.

Quote Originally Posted by sparklingshores View Post

1) building
    2) exploration
    3) hunting

These 3 things are in game already. So why isnt it just blowing up with people if its all it really needs?

Building in this game is better than any other game Ive seen.
    Exploring is fun and changes all the time.
    Hunting, there are tons of animals to hunt.

Let me just tell you the problem with these 3 things and why they do nothing without other aspects.

1) Building for looks or LOLZ gets boring fast. You need purpose for why you are doing this, it can be to prevent people from killing you, or keeping out monsters, or even just giving bonuses.
    2) Exploring is fun for a while but gets boring fast when you wonder around and what you see is just cool buildings and stuff people built, you will want more and more content and it takes a lot of time and work to keep adding fresh new graphical stuff. So you end up seeing mostly player made content which is great for a while but then after a while you just go "Why?"
    3) Like building hunting needs to serve a purpose and it needs to be more fun. Challenging. Stalking prey and skinning them up and killing your 1000th deer for no reason gets boring very fast. You need things to make it so hunters are having fun, they have a resource or goods to trade, and you need it to be very challenging so both solo hunters and large teams can kill and do things.

Try playing Xsyon first, then tell me these 3 things are the most important and only what Xsyon needs. Ive been playing for over a year, and I tell you right now it needs more fun things to do and give people challenges. Strife (PVP or PVE), Economy (Driven by players but enforced with systems that create rare items, or mats), and a since of adventure.

Pretty much all Im going to say on this topic as clearly sparkingshores you dont care to drop the cash on a game to even see how it really is before trying to tell others how it should be.