Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Territorial Expansion Answers from Notorious Games

I sent in this question to FAQ on the home page and received this response:

QUESTION:
    What kind of territory control enforcement will tribes have in Prelude? You mentioned that they can claim resources but how is that accomplished? How will tribes protect their out-of-village land modifications (roads, buildings, etc)?
    ANSWER:
    A tribe's area of influence is a radius around the totem and increases based on size of the tribe, so this encompasses an area larger than the core of the village. In the early prelude this area is a safe zone and all resources within the area are claimed.

Later, tribes can place secondary totems to claim / expand their territory.
    So strategic level territorial control will even be in Prelude for allied tribes that coordinate settlement and trade. So the question for large tribes will be whether to have one large circular area or break up into several smaller in-game sub-tribes to get a custom shaped territory to cover certain resources or trade routes (roads).

Need I say this is very cool!

Re: Territorial Expansion Answers from Notorious Games

It sounds very interesting - wonder what the mechanics/enforcement consist of? eg Will there be any form of guards/magic/alarms to prevent unwanted guests or is the territory more symbolic? And what does "resources are claimed" mean - untappable by others, or fitted with burglar alarms, or something completely unique and imaginative?

As a self confessed non-recogniser of the right to own land, I kind of hope its along the lines of the tribe has to respond to an alarm, rather than untappable nodes. Not that it'll matter much while the population is low.

Bah, I only landed on this game 2 days ago and I'm getting as obssessed as everyone else already.

Primavera wrote:
    It sounds very interesting - wonder what the mechanics/enforcement consist of? eg Will there be any form of guards/magic/alarms to prevent unwanted guests or is the territory more symbolic? And what does "resources are claimed" mean - untappable by others, or fitted with burglar alarms, or something completely unique and imaginative?

As a self confessed non-recogniser of the right to own land, I kind of hope its along the lines of the tribe has to respond to an alarm, rather than untappable nodes. Not that it'll matter much while the population is low.

Bah, I only landed on this game 2 days ago and I'm getting as obssessed as everyone else already.
    Since tribal area (and not only town) will be a safe zone during the Prelude, I guess it means that visitors can't do any harm. No destroying things, no stealing, no killing. So probably no need for guards or any other defensive mechanic.

Jadzia wrote:
    Primavera wrote:

Since tribal area (and not only town) will be a safe zone during the Prelude, I guess it means that visitors can't do any harm. No destroying things, no stealing, no killing. So probably no need for guards or any other defensive mechanic.
    I didnt read it quite like that - tribal areas will be a safe zone during "early prelude" was what it said. That might mean 1 week, it might mean 1 year, or anything in between - big difference, but I'd guess it'll be somewhere in the 1-2 month region to allow people to get established.

Always fun to get updates and all but can everyone plz stop sending in questions so that they can keep pushing the game forward?

Primavera wrote:
    Jadzia wrote:
    Primavera wrote:

I didnt read it quite like that - tribal areas will be a safe zone during "early prelude" was what it said. That might mean 1 week, it might mean 1 year, or anything in between - big difference, but I'd guess it'll be somewhere in the 1-2 month region to allow people to get established.
    You are right, "early prelude" hasn't been defined at all.

Largion wrote:
    Always fun to get updates and all but can everyone plz stop sending in questions so that they can keep pushing the game forward?
    But they neeeeed to know! They need to know every last details of how things will work, regardless of the fact that features have changed from originally listed already. They need to know and they need to know now, now, nooooooow! *stamps foot*

Lily wrote:
    ... regardless of the fact that features have changed from originally listed already.
    Noooo... what has changed? I thought the features on the features page are all in :dry:

pid73 wrote:
    Lily wrote:
    ... regardless of the fact that features have changed from originally listed already.
    Noooo... what has changed? I thought the features on the features page are all in :dry:
    - Testing and tweaking combat changes. We're reworking the combat system somewhat after taking into consideration some of the discussions on the forum. Instead of having to select a target, you will be attacking whatever is in range and your aim (center view point in 1st person, mouse cursor in 3rd person) will determine your specific intended target.
    http://www.xsyon.com/forums/5-announ...the-developers

Not a 'feature' as such, but still a change based on forum whining.

Thank you Lily, I missed that