Homesteaders will eventually have zero trees

The zone limit on trees creates this scenerio

1. The players try to plant a tree seed inside their totem zone.
    2. The players get a message that the zone is maxed on trees.
    3. The players go cut all the trees down in the zone.
    4. The players plant seeds inside their totem zone.
    5. The Homesteaders get a message that the zone is maxed on trees.

Basically, the large tribes will end up with all the trees inside their totem zone and homesteaders won't have any trees to collect from. (all the trees in the entire game will be inside tribe zones, eventually)

I would say hell yes to this system, if there were no safe zones and you could cut peoples trees down on their tribe totem.

I'm not even sure how you balance this with the current system.

If we all thought there was bitching before when people thought trees were to far, wait until there are no trees to collect from outside tribe zones.

Disclaimer
    I think there should be no safe zones and trees just like other players should be FFA.

Any thoughts?

nothing wrong with the tree system, although trees should be space more. in my zone we did manage to stick alot out so homesteaders can get to them. and Safe zones wont be goin anywhere or else same boat as before with no trees.

I think people would be hard pressed to fit all the trees in a zone into their tribe lands.

If you want trees in your homestead, go cut the others down.

fitting every tree in a zone into your tribelands just wont be doable. There is spacing to consider and you would not have any space to build on, I think the current problems with zone limits have other causes.

That being said, Im a fan of the idea that tribelands are blocked from all gathering professions (only for the tribe who owns it), but this will never happen. The butthurt would be too great.

I would like to know the rationale for such a small number of trees per zone. If this is just temporary please ignore this post. If this is going to be the way it is however I find it woefully lacking.

The way people habitually chop them down coupled with the minimal effort and time it takes to chop trees down demands there be thousands of trees possible per zone. Spaced extremely close together.

It would be nice to have some areas where you cannot easily see the sky.

It also takes minimal effort to plant trees. There are plenty of zones where you not only cannot see the ground, you can hardly move around solid walls of trees.

Ravelli

Take Pawnee's area for an example...

What I think is happening is that, like us, many had NO trees close by. So, like us, many have planted till the zone is full in the hopes of having plenty.

We will be cutting most of what we planted down for logs, and then re-seeding in a more decorative manner. Forest management will be what is needed in all areas.

What the op suggests will happen is unrealistic.

It is actually a bit of a chore to plant trees in that you have to have the seeds. Until you have your own protected grove set up on tribal land it is quite hard to find all of the different cones/seeds. Then there is the planting failure chance where you lose the seed.

To cut a tree down is simplicity and fast.

What were you thinking?

I still argue that it should take some time and multiple chopping actions to cut a tree down, depending on the tool, the tree size and skill set of course. Why is this so easy to do?

And again, I must ask, why is the number of trees per zone limited? zones are quite large for there to be such a small limit in my opinion. There are to be no great forests???? Everything is to be a wasteland? I think it is possible that several, if not many, players in general, not just homesteaders, will find themselves unable to plant any significant number trees.

Quote Originally Posted by HyBrasil View Post
    It is actually a bit of a chore to plant trees in that you have to have the seeds. Until you have your own protected grove set up on tribal land it is quite hard to find all of the different cones/seeds. Then there is the planting failure chance where you lose the seed.

To cut a tree down is simplicity and fast.

What were you thinking?

I still argue that it should take some time and multiple chopping actions to cut a tree down, depending on the tool, the tree size and skill set of course. Why is this so easy to do?

And again, I must ask, why is the number of trees per zone limited? zones are quite large for there to be such a small limit in my opinion. There are to be no great forests???? Everything is to be a wasteland? I think it is possible that several, if not many, players in general, not just homesteaders, will find themselves unable to plant any significant number trees.
    The number of trees you can plant is limited, because all resources should be. This is not only just true for trees but for any other resource, there simply is too much of everything... so ask yourself, the idea is to create an economy where stuff has actual value, and you want a resource to be unlimited? You are a freakin genius and this is sarcasm.

To me, safe zones are the nub of the problem, resources should not be protected, this is bad. Id like to see severly reduced gathering results on safezones or none at all. Tribelands should not be used for hogging resources, it should be used for building, period. Still, the butthurt will probably drown out the reason in this. So forget it.

I dont understand what your problem with seeds are either? they are pretty much in infinte supply, are you so carebear that you dont want to leave your safe for anything, perhaps?

Now now.. Behave.

We can all agree that materials (every item in general) needs to be more valuable. The current situation with the trash piles/scrap yards are imo a good place to start. The idea of making it area/distance specific what they dropped was brilliant, now they just need to be more strict on how much different loot you can get from a pile.

Moving on to trees. Trees are imo fine as is. I don't mind that not everything can be done single-handed. Actually I'm much against this everything should be soloable. If trees are one of the resources that are more likely to be in the hands of tribes, that is okay. It's a way of creating dynamics within a game. A way of sparking trades between homesteaders who need crafted wood materials (instead of the firewood which is what they usually just create from wood). No offense meant to homesteaders, instead of always defending homesteader, see it from the survival aspect. Would a person with all modern knowledge lost, really be able to do everything alone? No, and they'd even be hard pressed to find the food needed for the daily survival? Surely they don't have time to manage several crafts, hunt, fish, log wood and carry it back, build shelter and I could keep on going.

To say:
    You can do the math.
    If you have 100m radius totem you can have 150 trees filling the entire area (8m'ish between other trees and objects giving)
    A tribe tribe with full area would be able to plant about 300 trees filling the entire area not leaving any hospital space for their 55+ members. Also they would occupy about half a zone. Effectively meaning depending on location and zone borders they could be planting trees in other zones as well thus leaving room for you to plant too.
    An option would be to talk with the tribe growing a lot of trees if they could notify you when releasing some of them for logging to let you plant a few before they plant . Interact. (I've said interact so many times in so many threads that I lost track of how many times.!)

Secondly. There is a limit because tree rendering is massive. it swallows a huge amount of your fps. For me, walking around in our village I have 60fps with PlayClaw, going to a dense forest with 500+ trees my fps rarely makes it above 30. That's your reason I bet

11. 12-14-2011, 09:39 PM