Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Feedback Request: Creature AI 2012-07-09

Please provide feedback on the currents state of creature AI and revenants on the Test Server here.

In particular we are looking for feedback on:

- Do you experience any desynch issues?

- Balance: Are creatures / revenants too weak / too strong (in general) or do they seem to have a decent range of power?

- Creature behavior and reactions to players.

- Hitboxes (these have been adjusted for deer and small creatures).

- Are there any situations where you see creatures getting stuck, spinning in circles or behaving strangely?

Any other feedback on the current state of creatures is appreciated. GuideMihr will be available at roughly 2:00 AM PST to spawn and 'age' creatures for anyone that wants to help with specific tests.

Note: Creatures should range in power so that new players can fight small critters, while veteran players will find legendary adult creatures to be a challenge. For now, mutants will gravitate towards the green mist, while areas with tougher revenants will develop over time, as players claiming abandoned land will cause revenants to move to other zones. The least claimed areas will become more haunted. In the future, new zones will have areas where the harder creatures gravitate (nuclear pits for mutants).

Revenants around my area ranged from 160hp to 240hp, roughly.

With a pick I was having to be right on top of them in order to hit them. They were able to hit me from far greater ranges unarmed. Something seems off here.

Revenant behavior was amusing. Watched them swim, watched them run away, watched them sit down and rest while camping my homestead. Didn't see any wierd behavior, warping, spinning, or synch issues.

The previous implementation of Revenants seemed much better. They have much longer range right now making it impossible to hit them before they hit me. I was able to solo one Revenant before now I have no chance. Another thing is that they keep following me forever. If I am on the road and moving faster they will finally loose sight of me and stop. But on the regular terrain they just keep following halfway through the map.

I haven't experienced any range issues. I was actually able to hit them and back up fast enough to dodge their atk. My only issue at the moment is the tribe I found with 15 zombies. Its cool, but I need more friends lol.

Ok, the main concern right now seems to be attack ranges. I'm going to review this today and will post when I've restarted the Test Server with an update.

I do have a question: Over the past several months I've received conflicting information regarding the difficultly of kiling creatures. Some say this is too easy, even for a new player. If you think that creatures have been too easy to kill:

1) Is this due to tactics used, such as running or sprinting in combat to avoid being hit?

2) Is this due to other tactics, such as taking advantage of creatures being unable to hit you on boulders?

3) Is this due to actual combat balance (life and damage done by the creatures)?

4) How do you see creatures on the Test Server now? Are they too easy, or well balanced? Are the same issues / tactics that make creatures easy to kill still present? If so, please help us to identify these so that we can wrap up these improvements.

Thanks!

Can only speak for myself but I think the revenants are fine as they are right now. They do around 5-6 damage per hit on front. If they hit my back its around 10+. There seem to be about as many of the revenants to give us alot of things to do and watch out for. Perhaps they keep chasing for a bit too long. Weak players (like me) and exploreres will attract a train of them running to their deaths.

They seem to be able to hit me before I can hit them, even when they are unarmed. With a weapon in hand the range seem to increase even more.

Damage seem to scale up when they get a weapon.

Your other 4 questions I would answer like this

1) I have never been able to dodge/parry a pack of coyotes. To me Coyotes, Bears and large racoons is certain death.
    2) I did that once with a bear and it was...well, boring.
    3) I can't compete with a larger animal right now. They hit me too hard and I hit them for too little. I got half (at best) of their health meaning I will die. I need to develop some kind of tactic (like the one you asked about in #1 in order to survive solo vs a larger animal.
    4) I never got around to try animals on the test server. Had too much fun with revenants.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
    Ok, the main concern right now seems to be attack ranges. I'm going to review this today and will post when I've restarted the Test Server with an update.

I do have a question: Over the past several months I've received conflicting information regarding the difficultly of kiling creatures. Some say this is too easy, even for a new player. If you think that creatures have been too easy to kill:

1) Is this due to tactics used, such as running or sprinting in combat to avoid being hit?

2) Is this due to other tactics, such as taking advantage of creatures being unable to hit you on boulders?

3) Is this due to actual combat balance (life and damage done by the creatures)?

4) How do you see creatures on the Test Server now? Are they too easy, or well balanced? Are the same issues / tactics that make creatures easy to kill still present? If so, please help us to identify these so that we can wrap up these improvements.

Thanks!

Attack ranges with no weapons (unarmed) seems far to me. Lowering this will make them easier (which I see no problem with), my belief is that they should be easier as a newer monster to the world and as they kill or find items they gain more power.

I also see this as a major problem for new players as we already had major problems with rats attacking and killing just about any new player, even a guide would die to rats or almost die to them.

Areas of the map all having the same monster spawns is a major issue due to the level of player (not toon) skills needed to kill things. There is a steep learning curve and I can see this will be an issue with zombies as they players that join will be dying and being looted will not be happy. Before people were not even looted just dying.

Zombies are very easy for me, however, I can see how they could be very hard for most people without my toon skills, armor, weapons, and my skills in combat as a player. Right now I could if I wanted to kill zombies without getting hit. I will go into reasons why below. I still believe they should be easier, I didnt test them much with armor or weapons as it takes them forever to kill me and gear up.

1)Using all sorts of different tactics you can kill monsters in this game without being hit, not really a bad thing just you can. If you change this you mess up many things in the game. I'm not sure one way is better than other ways.

2)Same as 1)

3)Life of a zombie, is normally pretty high over all, with the issues of no healing, no stamina regen, monsters never running out of stamina and healing at a faster rate this is a problem for most players making them pretty hard for them. Killing a pack of zombies with 150 avg life, you will run out of stamina, with no way to regen it. Being hit causes you to run lower on stamina also. Life is the same problem, you will have issues getting way due to lower stamina (not able to sprint after killing 1 or 2) then when you resting you get beat up on if you are not near a secure area, because healing can take minutes to heal.

4)I didnt test animals at all this patch was something changed with them?

I killed a few revs with my armor and good weapon...I could handle a couple, but had to be carefull. Without armor, I'm almost toast to just one. I let one loot me several times to gain my equipment....after that, I could not kill it by myself, as the armor was reducing my hits...and the weapon it looted off me was doing as good of damage as I could with it. All this is good....fix the range...and the healing issue DDT mentioned(they should not heal faster thant players), then they are good to go in my opinion.

The number of revenants and their strength and life are better than the last time. I still die if I can't get away (usually out of stamina) and I can't kill them because they are too hard but at least I am not spending all my time waiting to respawn.

I haven't been hunting on the test server apart from when I was killed in one hit by a bear when I was wearing armour which surprised me a bit.

On the main server, I have been hunting. Maybe I don't have good fight tactics but I can only kill rodents and nothing bigger. And if the rodent is in a group then they usually kill me.

from me a.) Will human bones get stat bonus ?
    from you Yes, they will provide bonuses based on the highest stat of the human (revenant) killed.
    However, I can only loot Revenants...how do I get bones from them with no skin option ?