Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My understanding is that you can get anything anywhere but that "Rare" drops will be much harder to get near Totems. I get recipes in the scrap pile not far from our tribe all the time, usually multiple schemes with little effort, but very rarely in the pile attached to our tribe property.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowhawk View Post
    My understanding is that you can get anything anywhere but that "Rare" drops will be much harder to get near Totems. I get recipes in the scrap pile not far from our tribe all the time, usually multiple schemes with little effort, but very rarely in the pile attached to our tribe property.
    Yep, inside vs outside tribe makes a huge diff. Being further from a totem makes almost nothing from my testing. Granted Ive not fully tested it but you can surely scav anywhere outside a totem area and get rare items.

I stand by my original statement. I have done a lot of scavenging with an eye on nearby totems. It's impossible to tell the exact distance, but 75 m from a tribal boundary (or 100 m from a one person totem) sounds right for finding patterns/blueprints. If you can find a low level leather craft pattern in a spot, you can also find a master tool pattern or artisan's cart blueprint there. Really rare results like bones and fur also seem to be found away from tribal lands, but they occur so infrequently that it is harder to be sure of the pattern.

Scavenging over junk gives about (likely exactly) four times the chance of a result as elsewhere. I've found blueprints on granite, asphalt roads, etc. in areas far from what passes for pre- or post- apocalyptic civilization. But, as far as I can tell never on or adjacent to claimed land.

Ravelli

Quote Originally Posted by thurgond View Post
    I stand by my original statement. I have done a lot of scavenging with an eye on nearby totems. It's impossible to tell the exact distance, but 75 m from a tribal boundary (or 100 m from a one person totem) sounds right for finding patterns/blueprints. If you can find a low level leather craft pattern in a spot, you can also find a master tool pattern or artisan's cart blueprint there. Really rare results like bones and fur also seem to be found away from tribal lands, but they occur so infrequently that it is harder to be sure of the pattern.

Scavenging over junk gives about (likely exactly) four times the chance of a result as elsewhere. I've found blueprints on granite, asphalt roads, etc. in areas far from what passes for pre- or post- apocalyptic civilization. But, as far as I can tell never on or adjacent to claimed land.

Ravelli

Derailing this post more, however, I find them everyday 1m outside my tribal area. I have more blueprints than I can count. Infact the only place I scav now is 10m outside of a tribal area. I have 21 baskets lined in a row, all full of recipes, bones, chrome, blueprints, old saw blades.

If you wish to make a bet, Im more than happy to show you. I think it odd that you wont stand behind your claims and I will.

I'll take the word over someone who has played more hours than all the guides combined.

Oh and has 104 perception unbuffed (whoops am I not suppose to tell people that?)

Anyways, something like this can only be clarified by Jordi. So no point arguing about it.

I'm stating my experience, not yours DDT. Your mileage may vary because your perception is over 100 or because your tribe is so big the distance from your boundary/totem is miscalculated.

I'm not considering old saw blades or chrome/titanium/gold metal bits as rares. I find them more often within my tribe's area because my perception is higher there.

Here's Jordy's explanation of how the revised scavenge tables work:
    You will have to explore and get away from your safe zone for a good chance at new materials and architecture recipes.
    I do find it strange that the three time champion of the world now only scavenges within 10 m of his safe zone.

In any case, a new/returning player would not even know that finding rare items within a tribal zone.

Ravelli

Quote Originally Posted by thurgond View Post
    I'm stating my experience, not yours DDT. Your mileage may vary because your perception is over 100 or because your tribe is so big the distance from your boundary/totem is miscalculated.

I'm not considering old saw blades or chrome/titanium/gold metal bits as rares. I find them more often within my tribe's area because my perception is higher there.

Here's Jordy's explanation of how the revised scavenge tables work:

I do find it strange that the three time champion of the world now only scavenges within 10 m of his safe zone.

In any case, a new/returning player would not even know that finding rare items within a tribal zone.

Ravelli

Thank you for the accolades however, I asked newer members once with much lower stats. They find recipes INSIDE the tribal areas. He was training up his skills and was doing it inside the tribe area and found it.

It's not just me. I think you have higher chances as you go more away from tribe areas. I believe this, but saying you wont find them is another matter. I believe inside vs outside of tribe area is a big chance, then as you go more and more from tribe areas you get a slightly better chance. This is likely why you cant limit down the range as its in both ranges and more.

Its so slight in fact, Im not even sure fully what it is. They do change things overtime and tweak stuff so maybe its changing and more testing is needed each week, but so far I see no real difference from my 1m scav area, and my 100m scav area. The only difference is the recipes I find not the # of them. IE in south I tend to find pioneer recipes. While in Tallac I tend to find trappers.