Quote Originally Posted by Azurfale View Post
You want an economy and an item sink, one word solves all that. sieging.

EVEs economy is good because stuff always is blowing up and needing to be replaced.

Building decay is also another good one, walls and stuff need maintenance in real life so having to replace some bricks or some wood posts once in awhile wouldn't hurt for a resource sinks.

Harvesting granite in one place for 24 hours straight needs to change. Tree growth needs to be reduced(2 seasons for full growth maybe?), make logs and having a forest around you a valuable and tradable asset.

Good economy doesn't require sieging.

Yes, sieging can help an economy in a game get better. I fully agree with that, but its not a requirement.

Don't forget how hard sieging is to put into place, Ive posted about it already. You need lots of testing and balancing.

I think building decay is another valuable tool you can use, it will create more demand. One thing you have to balance with this is that adding this doesn't make the game more tedious. I think this is a good system, as long as they add in also a no hassle way to repair it. Sure the resources can be the hassle but you shouldnt need to click each item to check it etc.

The granite thing and any resource that's truly unlimited need other ways to limit how you gather it. Using resources to gather it (shovel, picks, skill, etc) other than time is good. Allowing more yield with better resources used. (Higher QL shovel, or pick, higher skill) This will also promote skilled crafted trade.

IMO the tree growth is less of a problem than the tree yield, and how easy it is to plant trees. Anyone can gather 50+ seeds from 1 tree planted. That needs to change, no chance to fail. Even at 5 skill and 50 seeds you will plant 10 or 20 of those. This is all done without use of resources, like sickle or shovel, or soil, etc.

Wood should have stats for the type, should be localized somehow, and should be a lot more rare.
My plan was to make chopping a tree take many actions. (10 to 20 actions to cut 1 tree depending on skill and axe used)
Then give the tree the same yield of wood. Right now you need few trees to do what you need to do. 1 tree = 5+ walls normally. All these actions would give logging skill.

This will make clear cutting harder, but because planting trees should be harder (like 20x harder, and using resources) it will balance out. You wont see piles of logs everywhere, because people will not want to waste the time cutting random trees for no reason.

Also turn off the 2x spawn of trees every spring. There needs to be some type of system where it doesnt double the trees each spring, that's too many.

Also make trees required more space between them. Sure if there is a lot of trees in an area it will be hard to pass, but not something where you get stuck. I love the feeling of being lost in the trees, I dont like the feeling of having to chop 20 trees to get through. Being lost in a forest is not the same as being stuck in a tree. =P