Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
There's a lot of ladders and such in the pvp spheres as well. They may not always be role-playing games but certainly pvp.

In a case like BF3, some people like rivaL are winning 8 SSD's in a single tournament... clearly not an option in a game like xsyon but there's options.

I don't really expect to be winning hardware anytime soon. A season's worth of server time for my clan, sure though. Either way, the best part is really the camaraderie, the planning, the strategy, doing one's part etc.

I know the mechanisms for teamwork aren't necessarily altogether there in xsyon at the moment. Still, I think that you can draw people in who like competitive play through the events they had organized. Would have to be an in-game carrot of some kind, can't hurt, but meaning can come from many directions. Including taking someone else's stuff, yes, but certainly not exclusively.

I think part of the problem with the pvp events I've seen is just lack of pvp population. Had there been more variety in opponents, with more variety of efficacy rendering it possible to have more variety in victor, it would help a lot.

I'd be kind of surprised there aren't people in the mmorpg world that aren't into competitive play purely for the gamesmanship and sportsmanship of it. I join scrims with my clan a few times a week even though there's nothing to "win" per se. I have a great time. Sometimes we rock, other times... not so much, but you learn from those and practice differently to prepare. I know there's templates, but they mustn't necessarily be followed I guess is what I'm saying.

I know you can say population, however, remember back in the day? (release) there was a LOT of people playing and PVP was much to be had. But they quit. I dont think it was the lack of PVP either.

I'm not saying today is like release with all the bugs and things like that, however, there is still a major problem. What are you fighting for? Yes sportsmanship is part of a lot of PVPers make up. But even in those scrims and things like that you were (or at least my clan was) doing it to get better for the end goals.

Also I dont think the game play of a FPS shooter is the same make up of this. Here you have to do a lot of work to win a fight, its not log on for a 30mins of scrimming (non stop PVP) and log off. You have to take time and effort. Normally FPS style gamers are not looking for that type of fun. Which is why sandbox PVPers are nothing like FPS PVPers.

From what Ive seen in sandbox PVPers, are they are made up of 2 types of PVPers.

1)Solo random ganker (someone who doesnt play long, or a lot and loves the random killing, normally quits after a month)
2)Tribe PVPers who like to do whats best for the tribe but still wants to fight, defend and kill enemies of the tribe for the good of the tribe.

Xsyon surely has seen both of these types of players, and neither stay long. The first requires a good amount of people playing, else they cant find the prey to kill. The second requires rewards for tribes to fight other tribes and groups. Again which isnt in the game either.

Game needs something like contested rare resources. (Shadowbane mines, Darkfall has villages and sea towers, and EVE has rare resources nodes in null sec)
With these contested rare resources they need to matter. +1 bonus to STR isnt going to cut it.