Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    I would rather have a system removed from # of players and use resources. Tribes buy the radius they want. If they cant afford that radius, they lose it.
    Someone trying to "grief" another tribe would have to upkeep a totem just to grief, it wouldnt fix griefing with totem problems but it would limit it down greatly. I dont see any system fixing griefing totems as they are protected. Who is to say what a griefing totem is really. Someone could just like that spot and prevent people from growing.

Some system where players need to buy and upkeep totems is what is really needed. That way players can hold the land they want too, based on the cost they can afford, not in "theory" of what they can grow too.

For a new player working for a totem shouldnt be freely given. They should want to stay near founders isle for a while to learn the ropes and be safe. Then after they have build up some skills and resources think about a totem placement.
    New players jumping into the world seem to always drop a totem, campfire, and basket and if they quit, its going to be there forever, even under the new system its going to be there for months.
    All with no cost to the new players, or totem droppers.
    One top of that, they have to place a totem (or feel like they have too) because of where they respawn.

Anyways, if you do it by "max" radius, there will be very few places to place a totem.
    your proposed system of using resource upkeep to get tribe growth is cool but I'm sure it would take a long time to implement something like this right now - the proposed system that jordi talks about works fine for now and is obviously almost done.

People at launch wanted this system that is on the test server now anyway, so there's no reason just yet to take the extra time to code something else that is more complicated and would take much longer - important thing imo is to get these systems in place that were most talked about at launch so when the older players get their accounts activated with free time they will be able to see that it's how they asked it to be.

why not just have new totems set for max growth, their still homesteads, but the system would have already planned out a tribes max growth. then if and when they reach it theirs no one in their way blocking them to expand. TBH this would not allow any griefing and after said amount of time if you didnt get that max size then the *reserved* space will shrink down to w/e size your totem is. This will allow both sides sufficient time for growth. Also wat i mean before is the ability to pick up ur totem and move the entire tribe else where *ie, new lands open up u n the pals pack it up n cart with ur totem to ur new home stick the totem back down to claim ur new home*. This kinda idea needs to have a 30 day timer on it to prevent big tribes from moving totems daily, but allows them to get a new home. Also the ability to move your totem once its down the same way ya do with ghost projects. I beleave all these ideas would make alot of folks happy, prevents greifing and promotes the idea of growth and exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy21007 View Post
    why not just have new totems set for max growth, their still homesteads, but the system would have already planned out a tribes max growth. then if and when they reach it theirs no one in their way blocking them to expand.
    This is simple and effective, can't place unless sufficient room for max area. Might make finding a large enough place difficult once the server is populated, but I don't think having too many people will be a bad problem to have

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy21007 View Post
    why not just have new totems set for max growth, their still homesteads, but the system would have already planned out a tribes max growth. then if and when they reach it theirs no one in their way blocking them to expand.
    I like this the best and maybe even add a 5-10m of a cushion too so there is no way a tribe will ever encroach on your area.

I also think there should be a way for a homestead to expand without adding members. Maybe if you prepay for 6 months or a year you would get some more land? This way the solo player could get more land if they wanted and the developer would get a longer subscription commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowhawk View Post
    This is simple and effective, can't place unless sufficient room for max area. Might make finding a large enough place difficult once the server is populated, but I don't think having too many people will be a bad problem to have

The problem with this is that you cant place near someone if you wanted too. Meaning if you wanted to make a village of totems instead of 1 large tribal area, you couldnt you would have to place far away at max ranges.

Another problem is if everything was based off max growth size (200m radius) then there wouldnt be many spots to place at all.

...then there wouldnt me many spots to place at all.
    QFT

only way that would work is if you get rid of homesteads/clans/bands etc and we don't need to do that.

As much as I hate homesteads the game needs to appeal to those type of players as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithStone View Post
    your proposed system of using resource upkeep to get tribe growth is cool but I'm sure it would take a long time to implement something like this right now - the proposed system that jordi talks about works fine for now and is obviously almost done.

People at launch wanted this system that is on the test server now anyway, so there's no reason just yet to take the extra time to code something else that is more complicated and would take much longer - important thing imo is to get these systems in place that were most talked about at launch so when the older players get their accounts activated with free time they will be able to see that it's how they asked it to be.

I didnt see this talked about at launch at all. Not sure how you can say its what people wanted at launch.

I also would rather have backended coding for something and working towards a system, then have them code something in that's not going to work very well at all. Which is how I see this current totem system.

With the max radius size now, you will have 1 man totems freely dropped holding down huge areas in "reserve". Heck what I would do is have a few extra accounts (easy to do for a large tribe) and control whole zones worth with my normal large totem tribe droppped (80+ members gets to use 200m radius) with 3 or 4 other single man totems placed around it holding anyone else at bay.

If people had to pay the upkeeps based on what they were, you wouldnt see this often. It would help so many things also in the economy and the worth of having a totem, and holding it. Greifing with totems would be a lot less when there is a cost, etc etc.

I didnt see this talked about at launch at all. Not sure how you can say its what people wanted at launch.
    as soon as they put in tribe's downgrading everyone asked for them to also upgrade, but it didn't happen - so yeah, almost everyone requested it to also work for upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithStone View Post
    as soon as they put in tribe's downgrading everyone asked for them to also upgrade, but it didn't happen - so yeah, almost everyone requested it to also work for upgrading.

Oh you talking about the upgrading system gotcha. Yeah that was meant to be that way from day 1 I thought also. I fully think people will be happy with the auto upgrade, until they find out the other issues with it.

Sorta like the totem system we have had for the last 11 months, because everyone can drop a totem anywhere, you have issues with them.

This auto upgrade system is going to be a nightmare also like that, I dont see how to make it work well. I see it being put in without much thought to what is going to happen with the new players that join, and large tribes. Its going to cause so many problems and issues.

If I had to call it, I would see it going like this. Totems autoupgrade, you have tribes jockeying for any new player that joins just to keep growing, and huge totems controlled by 1 or 2 people.

The world will have almost no place to place still even after decay because Xsyon doesnt put in any system that can harm even 1 person for the greater good. So now we are left with huge death tribe totems everywhere, and people fighting over where a new player will join.

No one can say I'm bias on this also because I was screaming about this when IS-BC was a very small tribe and wanted to STAY small. Now we are the largest tribe, and I still hate the system and this new planned system.

I kind of would have thought people who wanted more conflict and a reason to fight would like option #1?

I get the thing about placing totems near each other for a village and option #2 might seem like it would go against that but the homesteaders I know are such because we like our space
    Option #2 would mean we can start a loose knit community village type thing, and have our space from each other as well, without fear of someone plopping in the middle and expanding us out of home. Sounds kinda good to me.

Don't forget, we're only using 10% of the map right now, with much of the map ready for expansion if needed, and there are still a vast larger number of dead totems than live ones. I'm not entirely convinced there wouldn't be room.