Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    We had the max buffer on all totems at launch and it was an Epic Fail.

I'd prefer option 1. Coupled with a resource based upkeep and expansion purchasing it would introduce an entirely new kind of PvP that doesn't involve actual fighting.
    In the absence of the resource based system, we NEED to have the system that accounts for inactive (non-subbed) players. That way if a blocking tribe can't keep up their active count and drops in radius, the other blocked tribe should auto-grow into the blocking tribe's previous space if they have enough players to do so.

With option 2 none of this is a worry at all. No changes at all except that you get the convenience of auto-growing, like DDT said above. If that was all that was intended, then fine #2 is best. But it seems like there was some sort of desire to add in extra conflict or logistics to the system. Option 2 doesn't really provide much of that at all.

If I'm not mistaken, there is already a buffer in place for totems other than homesteads, isn't there? The more buffers and reserved space you put in, the more you are going to return to the issues we had at launch where new people(heck not even new, just the initial crop of players) coming in simply couldn't find space to live due to it all being taken up by "may build here in the future, maybe..if I don't quit next week" space. Most of the time you couldn't even see the totems that were keeping you from placing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drevar View Post
    We had the max buffer on all totems at launch and it was an Epic Fail.

I'd prefer option 1. Coupled with a resource based upkeep and expansion purchasing it would introduce an entirely new kind of PvP that doesn't involve actual fighting.

If I'm not mistaken, there is already a buffer in place for totems other than homesteads, isn't there? The more buffers and reserved space you put in, the more you are going to return to the issues we had at launch where new people(heck not even new, just the initial crop of players) coming in simply couldn't find space to live due to it all being taken up by "may build here in the future, maybe..if I don't quit next week" space.
    Right now the buffer is very very small less than 1m if any at all.

Also dont forget that totem decay is coming. So finding a place to drop a totem will be no a problem soon.

I thought there was a much larger buffer for totems larger than homestead. Homesteads are able to be placed right up against each other, but not the larger types. Ill try to dig up the notes that related to this back when the totem changes were put in.

Also, decay system may be coming soon, but that doesn't mean the totems will actually decay soon. Its going to be months before any are actually cleared from the landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Drevar View Post
    I thought there was a much larger buffer for totems larger than homestead. Homesteads are able to be placed right up against each other, but not the larger types. Ill try to dig up the notes that related to this back when the totem changes were put in.

Also, decay system may be coming soon, but that doesn't mean the totems will actually decay soon. Its going to be months before any are actually cleared from the landscape.

Yeah people can place totems that touch our border on our 198.2(People say 200m is max, but 198.2m is) radius, with less than 1m buffer. Some were even able to grab baskets out of our lands by standing in their tribal lands is how close it was.

Yes, but I dont see a need to put in a bad or less good (Proper English?) system just because there might be a slight problem for a very short period of time that isnt game breaking.

remove it, 100% open world.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy21007 View Post
    remove it, 100% open world.
    If you remove the tribe area then whats the point in the game? People play the game to build and craft if you can't do this in safety then no one would play..well most would not

Quote Originally Posted by Kegan View Post
    If you remove the tribe area then whats the point in the game? People play the game to build and craft if you can't do this in safety then no one would play..well most would not

On top of that, other players can come by and mess up your area. Heck right now just right click dismantle takes 5 seconds. No thank you fatboy. I think we need a better system than that.

As of right now, neither option benefits me unless totem decay comes in or I want to move. I like #2 but my only concern is the limited amount of totems there will be per zone. (don't get me wrong I love living off in the middle of nowhere with no neighbours, but I am sure not everyone feels this way.) So a 20 man tribe places a totem in the middle of the zone, it would limit that zone to 3 or 4 other totems of max size in that zone. (not a problem now as player base is still small but could be an issue in the future without hte map opening up.) I am not sure if I like the idea of a zone entirely encompassed by totems (not sure if that was the right word). I am very happy about auto expansion though, but like I said, without totem decay the rest is meaninglesss as of now.