Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Development and Time

Guys,

I have been interested in Xsyon since I heard about it over 3 years ago. I bought it immediately after seeing similarities with Roma Victor a failed but great game (same programmer).

I liked what I saw of the game and thought it might turn out better near release. Release came about a year later and I was surprised to see that barely anything had changed since the beta. Ok some game play changes had been added but nothing major like ballistics or zombie or anything that we were really waiting for release.

So I thought I would leave and give it some time. It is now about 2 years after that and the game still has not changed apart from minor things like lockable containers and a few I am sure big things to the programmers but very small to the players.

- Where are things like ballistics, ie being able to throw something or shoot a bow? - -
    - Where are intelligent game play mechanics like Zombies coming out at night?

A lot of focus was put on combat, I really see that much has changed to be honest, sure the settings and balance might have changed but it is basically the same.

It feels like the game was made a long time ago, 3 or more years ago but other people and all that is happening for the past 3 years is a bit of scripting changing the surface of things but not the fundamentals. It feels like the person in charge does not really know how to change the underlying code properly and is just scripting things on top of it and gradually understanding his own game.

I know there is a time lime in play and this is just the Pre-lude but ..... how long do you have to wait around here to see anything major take place?

I am now highly sceptical of the development team and find the posts by people that were posting 3 years ago so funny. They are asking the same thing. I just read one now saying how great it will be when Zombies are introduced as they just saw the Walking Dead series. Man .... are you still waiting for this??!!

I do hope I am wrong as I would love to see Xsyon develop but it is just taking too long to make minor changes.

Yes I am a but curious too. I'd like to see them focus on the core game play more.

Don't get me wrong, the performance fixes have been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Saorlan View Post
    I just read one now saying how great it will be when Zombies are introduced as they just saw the Walking Dead series. Man .... are you still waiting for this??!!
    That would have been me, And I would have not said it if I was not waiting for it.

But here is the thing, Why are you making a post at all? I'm asking because I don't understand why someone that has not played in two years, Um was we playing two years ago? Any way, Say it was two years ago, Why care at all. There are many games I was hoping to play and when it didn't happen I didn't come back years later crying that the game didn't go the way I wanted it to. Xsyon is a game that I'm willing to wait for, If your not. Well sorry. But making the post pointing out what anyone that has been here for the last two years already knows, I just don't get.

Xsyon Citizen
    I am sorry, but I can't find anywhere where it says zombies in Xsyons features, it states creatures and mutated creature, but nowhere near zombies or revenants.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see dinosaurs though.

Quote Originally Posted by znaiika View Post
    I am sorry, but I can't find anywhere where it says zombies in Xsyons features, it states creatures and mutated creature, but nowhere near zombies or revenants.
    Just know they will be in-game at some point.

Xsyon Citizen
    I do not understand the post either - why complaining that nothing has happened and why posting it in the offical forum? What are your motives? Just to get a response - or hoping that everyone who is playing is padding your back and telling you - you were right - we are all idiots hoping for the developments - but you are right its hopless so we all quit? Are you developing something like Xsyon ... and have a better alternative? Let us know!

If you are truly interested in the game - listen to the interview Jordy gave at the start of this year
    http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...ight=interview

He explains what has happend in development - and why it is taking longer than he (or anyone else) has believed...

There have been a lot of improvments! I came back (after Feb 2011) in Oct 2011 because "carts are available on the test server" - that was one feature I was hoping for. It took me about 2 months to catch up what I have missed in the 6 months - and then start of this year - carts were introduced to the main server. Since then I am working on crafting a cart... Those carts are really great and hard to craft (solo) - so its something I am still on the way of doing.

If you dont want to support the development (meaning PAYING ...) and then compain about that there is not enough progress ... I wonder what you do for a living - it takes money to develop software and it takes money to host a server - and keep it running. Low population of PAYING players mean low budget = equals = slow progress. Nevertheless there is progress - I guess all the people that do support the game, like the progress and so - where is your problem?

Please leave us in peace and alone

Thanks!

Just for the record, Saorlan, it was 2 years not 3. Just check your own account's register date There was less than 1 year of beta and the game launched 1 year ago. I agree that the development speed is slow but they did achieve some development during the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    Just for the record, Saorlan, it was 2 years not 3. Just check your own account's register date There was less than 1 year of beta and the game launched 1 year ago. I agree that the development speed is slow but they did achieve some development during the last year.

Jadzia, some of us have been with the game longer than these forums, and were on the old forums. I know you might not know about that as you didnt start until March of 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by znaiika View Post

Do I really have to point it out again to you?

Its on the first page of www.Xsyon.com. I even quoted it for you last time. I guess I will do it again.

Creatures of mutation and mythology now populate the land.
    I'm right there with you OP, I'm at the point where I put a lot of effort into the game only to see the fun things and important things in game not be addressed.

Instead of getting fixed combat, we are getting new wood posts to build. Instead of fixing water broken animals we get the devs posting about how its a valid tactic.

Focusing on the basics, fun level, economy, combat, AI, archery which was said to be done already, it seems like they are just working on making this game a building game for people that never want to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Jadzia, some of us have been with the game longer than these forums, and were on the old forums. I know you might not know about that as you didnt start until March of 2010.
    I've been on the old forum too. Our registration date shows the date we registered there, not on this new board. Actually I've been here since the first day they started their homepage. Have you been with the game before any forum were opened and any website was started ? If yes, the 3 years might be right (in case Saorlan were there too). Otherwise it was only 2 years. But no doubt the game launched only 1 year ago.

Are you disappointed with the rate of development, or with the development priorities implemented?

What I mean is, say carts were never even looked at but that time had been spent on throwing something... would you still be making this post?
    Or if instead of the architecture improvements, well, you get the idea.

I don't get the idea this is a matter of someone collecting monthly fees to spend on pina coladas on the beach. I think this is a project hanging by its teeth financially and development taking more time than I'd like is preferable to shutting the server down entirely.

As long as the server stays up, and I really have no legitimate reason to believe it won't, I can take a break to play other games and come back every so often to enjoy the changes that have been made.

For example, 36.2 seconds to load up the game is absolutely an awesome improvement!
    Or when organizing my next move, a big cart will make it so much better than before... etc.

One last thing because I just have to say it Scripting vs. coding vs. programming and so on... don't knock scripting languages They are often more powerful than it would appear on the surface, and have evolved greatly over the years.

I lied, this one is the last thing, one quick word on zombies/revenants since they were mentioned. The first time I heard they were coming, I was thinking as Znaiika does now. "Seriously? That overdone concept! Whyyyyy...."

But then I looked at the screenshots on the main page. #107 in particular. The dude in blue, I'm pretty sure, is a revenant. We're not talking about stereotypical zombie out of a really bad 1970's movie. That would indeed be kind of annoying. Instead, I think they will fit into the game and since seeing that, I'm looking forward to them... whenever they can implemented to the appropriate standard.

Have fun everybody.