Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

All those wonderful.... Awful...... Trees

All those wonderful.... Awful...... Trees

Do we need auto tree spawn in the game? What's your thoughts?

I have tried to plant trees on three different occasions since tree planting “forestry” was added to the game. Each time I would get the message “Zone has reached it's limit” I assumed once I removed enough trees to plant, that the next time I tried to plant I would simply need to remove a few trees to be able to replant a few trees. This is not the case. Each time I have had to spend about two days clearing hundreds of trees before I could plant a single tree. Which tells me that the auto tree spawn/seeding doesn't go by the same rules as we do, and that it continues to drop seeds even though “The zone has reached it's limit”

Last night I spent 3 to 4 hour and this morning another hour clearing hundreds of trees in the same zone I had cleared twice before yet I still cannot plant anything. Since my logging is 100 I get no experience or benefits aside from being able to plant a tree, and providing the public service of clearing trees so travelers can move through the area without hitting these impenetrable wall of trees.

So my question and thoughts are “Do we even need auto planting?” Seems to me it would make for a better economy if players had to plant trees to harvest trees. Not to mention it would clean up all the walls or trees now blocking so many areas while there are vast tracks of treeless areas that will never see a tree unless we clear hundreds in other areas first. And in keeping with the story, maybe the apocalypse left toxins that are keeping the trees from seeding themselves?

The developers may be addressing this already, but if not I think the simple fix would be to turn off tree spawn if that is possible, rather than take the Developers off of more important tasks, giving players complete control over forestry, and making “forestry” a viable and useable skill rather than just another skill to grind by picking up seeds.

Funny how we goto 1 extreme to another.

I think turning off the auto tree planting is fine, however, we also need a way to gather seeds because right now you cant gather without making a lot of bare spots, that dont grow back. Same with grass.

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Funny how we goto 1 extreme to another.

I think turning off the auto tree planting is fine, however, we also need a way to gather seeds because right now you cant gather without making a lot of bare spots, that dont grow back. Same with grass.

I spent my time clearing out trees for few days now, I don't think natural auto seeding should be off, but I do think every planed tree should generate seeds around a planed tree, even if it was planted on the grass or empty spot, and grass should regrow when you cut down a tree and clearing it's stump.
    Do you clear stumps as well? Willowhawk.
    I usually go up in the mountains to cut those trees.

Quote Originally Posted by znaiika View Post
    Do you clear stumps as well? Willowhawk.
    I usually go up in the mountains to cut those trees.
    I cut the tree, kill the stumps, then destroy the logs because animals can run right through log piles while we cannot making it almost impossible to catch a critter if there are thousands of log piles everywhere lol.

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowhawk View Post
    I cut the tree, kill the stumps, then destroy the logs because animals can run right through log piles while we cannot making it almost impossible to catch a critter if there are thousands of log piles everywhere lol.
    Hmmm, maybe it is changed, because yesterday I've killed rabbit being stuck in front of a small logs running.

Xsyon Citizen
    its getting scary but again i agree wit DDT.
    Tree regrowth can be off if seeds would appear under trees every season

Xsyon Citizen
    I am not sure if you are right - first I wanted to agree - but after thinking it throu I came to the conclusion that the "Problem" may be only temporally. Xsyon said that he would aim at a population of about 1000-2000 players for this year and up to 5000-10.000 (and more :P) in the next years.

I think that when totem decay is on - players will come back - and some of them will stay - so those massive tree groups will fall anyhow due to the amount of players that will need wood/logging/forestry - keeping the trees "in check" is only a problem in the regions with low population.

Atm in the south (where most players are located - afaik) and around the more active tribes (with more active players) the trees are fine. The players make sure that they have enough wood in the pipeline (young trees) - and keep reducing the trees that are to large or blocking their ways.

So imho a higher population will fix the problem in a natural way - until them we just have to cope with the trees as they are (and you have to admit its really fun/interesting to see how "unchecked" areas get overgrown)

I'd love it if they disabled auto-spawning of trees, even just temporarily until the population is higher.
    When there's so many trees that you can't even walk between them and when trees spawn inside trees it feels pretty dumb.
    (And making forestry pretty useless.)
    Right now, trees should only regrow if you didn't destroy the stump.

Or at the very least, spawn rates should be much slower.

haha I said this when planting was put in the game and everyone said no its fine.......well there you go.

Xsyon Citizen
    I think trees should stay as they are as auto planned, and instead of maximum trees in zones they should spawn them by areas, zones are too big to control, I can clear cut trees around my place in my area/sector but it is too far to go to the other side of a zone, to clear out trees.
    In my understanding of an area/sector is something like hilltop or king.... will be easier to control tree grow near your home, and untouched areas would really become jungles, that would keep world alive.