Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Life of the Nomad - A Utility for Drifters

Not to clog the forums with my threads but I feel a bit encouraged by the receptiveness of the community of at least a good portion of the 10 easy changes I listed recently.

One of those features is very close to my heart and my play style, I also feel the systems are in place for this and simply need to be combined to finish "Nomad Tents"

Nomad Tent Features @ A Glance:

- No Terraforming
    - Smaller 5 - 10 meter safety radius
    - Cheap materials for 5 slot storage tent - preferably a grass hut. Say 10 grass thatch and 10 grass.
    - Built with Basketry skill.
    - Size roughly of Scavenger Stick Hut Tent or smaller.
    - Respawn point after death.
    - Can be picked up / set down like a basket. ( would take 30 seconds to setup, like building an actual structure. Leaving player vulnerable to attack, negating drop for safety abuse. ) Will use proximity check before placement.
    - Provide a small shelter from weather for comfort without having to grind architecture.

Personal Feelings as a Nomad Player

I personally welcome some of the upcoming changes to skill system, and have no desire to grind other useless skills to be everything just to be on the level of other players. I don't want to waste my time grinding architecture, crafting or other stuff.

I want to skill up tool crafting to use basic tools for low quality utility purposes, scavange, and hunt for materials to trade for high quality gear, and weapons or other needs.

I started to grind weapon crafting but though to myself, if I am not building a homestead, I don't even really want a shovel or pick. Nor do I want to waste my skill points on the category for two tools/weapons I can trade for. Also how nice would it be as a new player to have a grass hut out of the rain without 2+ hours of grinding Banaya posts mindlessly. I also don't care much for building super forts, or dream homes which anchor me with labor burden to a section of the map.

I feel this would greatly encourage players like myself, who are willing to trade for quality things rather than just grind up to be the best at everything, which will be impossible with new system anyways.

Benefits of Nomad Tents to the community:

I feel Nomad Tents can not only benefit players such as myself but the community in the long run. I would like to break down how this could be accomplished. Additionally this could promote easier entry into enjoyable experience for beginners, and promoted freedom for exploratory older players like myself.

- No Terraforming, means less eye sores by new players, or those just passing through.
    - Players if dying before placing totem now get sent to Founders Island regardless of origin.
    - Fun of seeing new nomadic neighbors in the area from time to time.
    - Ideal for those of us not obsessed with hording piles of useless crap.
    - Promotes idea of traveling merchants ( Caravans ), which could travel between large tribes, trading goods from one tribe to another.
    - Promotes nomadic hunter lifestyle. Eventually hunting migrating herds?
    - May help with player retention a little ( no promises, but worth a shot. )

Note: Simplest way to mimic this feature without complication... is a grass or stick tent in architecture which can be picked up and carried in log spot on back or in cart basket slot. Without loss of materials.

even with only 5 skill

- daogwa grass hut - 10 grass, 10 thatch
    - forager stick hut - 10 branches, 10 twine

I see no detrimental effect only positive effects from this, and feel many have expressed a desire for this sort of opportunity. If you do please show your support and try to encourage the devs to implement this as it would probably take very very little technical difficulty to implement as ALL the systems are currently in place in one form or another only need to be combined.

Thank you for reading this long winded thread!

I support this...100%....would be awesome!

Remove the safety or put the timer on repacking up/dropping up to 6 hours like a totem. Else this can have major abuse issues.

I love the idea of tents being used like this, however, I think few people will do this as this game promotes many items. With many items you need storage space. Its very hard to move around.

I really see no point in this save for a very few people using this and likely people with a few accounts so they can still have a base with lots of items and use this as a forward or wondering type of play.

I would rather see options to promote people to use a tent out in the field so they dont have to go home all the time. Maybe exp bonus, HP regen bonus, stamina regen bonuses or something when near these "tents" to allow people to gather or hunt with a tent and a campfire out there without the need or want to come back home all the time.

I love the idea and see myself using this type of feature when new lands open up. I don't think we would even need a new model as you describe. Why not utilize the existing small tents already in game? No terraforming for sure, you would need to find a small flat spot to pitch your tent and start a fire. This would make more sense when "Comfort" is introduced. I agree, I don't want to have to grind just to be competitive.

My passion is exploring and finding something unique or rare to discover. I want to have fun out exploring and if I have to defend myself from animals or enemies to find that special something, so be it. Why shouldn't those risks not yeild something worth trading for other things that I need from established tribes. For that to work, I need to have high resource skill and corresponding stats and find something that is not pasted all over the map. What I like the most is the minimal impact on the world environment as the "nomad" does not disturb the land as he passes through. This was similar to the vision of the launch time tribe "Nomads of Xsyon" which are now of course apparantly extinct.

This is all a pipe dream at the moment as our current mist controlled map has been exhuasted of the few and currently useless rare resources that did exist. Not to mention the prevalent totems that litter the landscape. However it is all still possible for the future of Xsyon.

Hartley/ Brees

I was thinking about this for a bit, and honestly I can only see this from my perception and stand point, of what I want and what benefits me. So I would like to hear 10 ways you would like to see this feature benefit you, or how it could be modified to greater improve the utility of this feature other than just a roaming folding tent. Suggestions will be organized, listed in one spot, and main post will be updated.

Xsyon Citizen
    I agree if same person have to pack everything up before moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by Creator View Post

- No Terraforming
    - Cheap materials for 5 slot storage tent - preferably a grass hut. Say 10 grass thatch and 10 grass.
    - Can be picked up / set down like a basket. ( would take 30 seconds to setup, like building an actual structure. Leaving player vulnerable to attack, negating drop for safety abuse. ) Will use proximity check before placement.
    - Provide a small shelter from weather for comfort without having to grind architecture.
    We have discussed this before and I think this would be a great feature. Since travel is a bit involved (which I wouldn't change) compared to your typical Port friendly MMOs I think this would make travel much more engaging and enjoyable. I believe this could also open up other possibilities for the future.

Example could be a Group or Tribe Tent.

Say you want to travel with your tribe to the other side of the lake to do some trading. You could announce that "name" tribe will be in the Round Hill area for a couple days to do trading. You pack your carts and make a caravan to another area and set up a "Trade or Tribe Tent" The locals could come around do business for a couple days, then you pack up and head home. If there is any PVP you have a spawn point at the temp tribe tent and so you could continue your business etc. Of course there is the potential for abuses so there would have to be some fail safes put in for things like distance from existing tribe territory etc. But since it would just be a tent with maybe a few feet around it, I think it could work. Just a thought.

Would be nice to see this.

For me personally i would like to have it as a safe spot for your baskets, but not yourself against attacks from another players.

My reason:

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post

I would rather see options to promote people to use a tent out in the field so they dont have to go home all the time. Maybe exp bonus, HP regen bonus, stamina regen bonuses or something when near these "tents" to allow people to gather or hunt with a tent and a campfire out there without the need or want to come back home all the time.

- No Terraforming
    I really like that idea except that it can be picked up again to reuse it. I would rather like to see them decay and collapse after not being used for e.g. 3 days and/or to disband the tent (resources are found everywhere). You should only be allowed to have 1 tent active at a time.

Note: Simplest way to mimic this feature without complication... is a grass or stick tent in architecture which can be picked up and carried in log spot on back or in cart basket slot. Without loss of materials.

even with only 5 skill

- daogwa grass hut - 10 grass, 10 thatch
    - forager stick hut - 10 branches, 10 twine
    As I suggested before, don't want to pick them up (feels not realistic to me), but the suggested materials are OK.

greetz,
    Tybor

- No Terraforming agree
    - Smaller 5 - 10 meter safety radius I dont think there should be any safety..a tent in the wilderness doesnt provide anyone a safe haven
    - Cheap materials for 5 slot storage tent - preferably a grass hut. Say 10 grass thatch and 10 grass. agree
    - Built with Basketry skill.agree
    - Size roughly of Scavenger Stick Hut Tent or smaller.agree
    - Respawn point after death.agree
    - Can be picked up / set down like a basket. ( would take 30 seconds to setup, like building an actual structure. Leaving player vulnerable to attack, negating drop for safety abuse. ) Will use proximity check before placement.I'm not sure I like this idea...but am open
    - Provide a small shelter from weather for comfort without having to grind architecture.agree
    I've added my comments after in blue