Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Give the game Meaning.

I'm sure a lot of you agree that sometimes the game might feel a bit, pointless and a lot of people, including myself throw the word 'meaning' around quite a lot.
    What I propse is that we, which means primarily you guys as I'll sit back in the first round, should give our own interpretation of what more meaning is.

There are, as I see it a few major categories.

Combat (PvP)
    Crafting
    Building
    Gathering (Items in general)
    Trade

An example could go as follow

VeryWiiTee writes:
    Since I like crafting and combat I'll come with my interpretation of meaning regarding those two subjects:

Crafting:
    More meaning means;
    - Much less 'I can do anything myself'
    - More dependency on other crafts
    - etc
    - etc
    - A more aggressive skill and item decay

Combat:
    More meaning means;
    - More tactic in combat
    - More animals to combat
    - Rare found only loot.
    Keep it simple so that the Dev's can easily read it and collect general opinions, keep it free of argue (it's not the point of this.. exercise .) and be nice to each other.

I would like to see the tools to want to trade, and force more trading.

1)Combat (Not just PVP, but mostly PVE) why do any combat at all? Lets see reasons to take a resource area and claim it and hold it from zombie attacks or players trying to loot it. Lets see animals that you will run from unless you are a combat type of player, geared up and/or with a group of people.
    2)Trade. Every item in this game is so easy to get solo, trade is almost worthless. I can make all my own stuff, I can gather very easy to make these items, and I dont really care if I have high end gear or not. The bonuses on these items dont make it worth while to use VHQ/MASTER/SUPREME items vs just using HIGH QL items. Give me reasons to travel to someones place to trade something they need, and they have something I want. Resources are way to common, not really any rare resources. Any rare resources there are people hold onto like a vice-grip because they are going to use it themselves.
    3)Faster ways to travel. Right now we cant haul things, we are way to heavy all the time, resting all the time, and the world is just not fun to move around in. Give us some better ways to regen stamina, better ways to move faster, and haul things.
    Buffs for speed boosts maybe from food, or spells. Buffs for stamina regen maybe from food, spells, or clothing.
    4)Where is the survival? No one is scared to die, heck many people kill themselves for a free ride home. Where is the worry or need to build shelter? or stay in a home? Where is the need or want to wear clothing? Where is the need or want to be protected from wondering animals or crazy players?
    5)Make crafting way more fun. The resources should be much harder, but allow people to craft batches of items instead of click wait 5seconds, click click click, wait 5 seconds. Over and over and over and over and over again. Try building rock walls for a 10m radius totem. That's all I ask you to do.

My version of "meaning" is playing an open world game with my brothers while we run around and screw off, build a base with walls and conduct random raids in to different areas but all in all enjoy the video game we are playing. Plus if one of us ever gets bored and stops for a month or two the game doesn't come to a screeching halt...even if there is only 1 of us we can keep playing which means a lot.

I do have to say that everything you guys are asking for is already in motion or will be optimized once new items are included...maybe not the complex crafting but there are plenty of people who like the current craft system.

I agree with about everything DDT stated.

However, I dont agree with skill decay.

Take for instance that I grind all the way to 100 in Architecture. I only have limited space to build upon and once that space is used up and looks exactly as I want it with currently available structures, HOW am I then going to continue using it to prevent decay? I earned that skill!

I would much rather see a cap on total skill points which could be used. This I think would accomplish several things. Firstly trade would be of value, secondly PVP 'could' be worthwhile. If I cant make something I need, Ill either HAVE to trade for it or kill a person who can!

Furthering this I believe there should be an option to determine which skills I want to raise and lower. For instance, I tried leathercrafting, decided it wasnt for me and Im capped, I should be able to turn it to a decay option where every point I gain in a 'new' skill would take one away from leathercrafting.

I also disagree with some proposed 'or asked for' PVP options. I DO NOT think my homestead should be attackable unless I choose it to be so. HOWEVER, I DO think IF I were to put out a expansion (term may be incorrect) totem and create then an 'outpost' that the outpost SHOULD be attackable. If it comes to pass that EVERY totem can be conquored we all know there are crass asses that will do so to every homestead they see just to be crass asses! This problem would drive even more new players from the game who were unable to defend a homestead VS even a Tribe of 5!

Wanna be a fighter. GREAT! Every fighting skill takes points from the available 500 (random number) or so allowed. This would require those diehard PVP players to trade for needed equipment to support their chosen gameplay and add value to the crafters goods. How could they not still support their gameplay solo? Well lets list skills. A weapon, Type of combat (armed unarmed ect), Dodge, Parry. there are 4! Now add weaponcrafting, it requires scavenging and foraging, and sometimes hunting, that makes 7! Gotta eat so either fishing or foraging! There is 8! They need armors (when they are working) and their supporting skills (ie hunting, bonecraft) Up to 11! Still havent taken into account taming and riding skills if mounts are ever available! So say we give 600-800 points to spend! FORCING them to rely on others as well. After all, they say we should rely on others to defend us and our totem.

Many will answer this with 'then people will just make alts' well I say good. More income for the company to continue development/hire more devs ect! Not only that every hour they spend on that alt making their equipment is one hour less they are hunting newbies and running them off because we all knwo that most PVP players are NOT looking for an equal fight EVER! Heck add some risk to them. If their skills are at 100 and maxed, they are unable to attack a person with less than 75 in a weapon discipline! This also makes it where the ability to attack that tradeskiller isnt an option and forces them to instead attack like minded players to loot their equipment! That tradeskiller however is still not completely safe since they have to have some fighting skill to defend themselves from the zombies and animals roaming the wilds so ARE still attackable by some level of PVPer! Thus the risk element is still involved for them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazkid View Post
    I agree with about everything DDT stated.

However, I dont agree with skill decay.

Take for instance that I grind all the way to 100 in Architecture. I only have limited space to build upon and once that space is used up and looks exactly as I want it with currently available structures, HOW am I then going to continue using it to prevent decay? I earned that skill!

I would much rather see a cap on total skill points which could be used. This I think would accomplish several things. Firstly trade would be of value, secondly PVP 'could' be worthwhile. If I cant make something I need, Ill either HAVE to trade for it or kill a person who can!

Furthering this I believe there should be an option to determine which skills I want to raise and lower. For instance, I tried leathercrafting, decided it wasnt for me and Im capped, I should be able to turn it to a decay option where every point I gain in a 'new' skill would take one away from leathercrafting.

I also disagree with some proposed 'or asked for' PVP options. I DO NOT think my homestead should be attackable unless I choose it to be so. HOWEVER, I DO think IF I were to put out a expansion (term may be incorrect) totem and create then an 'outpost' that the outpost SHOULD be attackable. If it comes to pass that EVERY totem can be conquored we all know there are crass asses that will do so to every homestead they see just to be crass asses! This problem would drive even more new players from the game who were unable to defend a homestead VS even a Tribe of 5!

Wanna be a fighter. GREAT! Every fighting skill takes points from the available 500 (random number) or so allowed. This would require those diehard PVP players to trade for needed equipment to support their chosen gameplay and add value to the crafters goods. How could they not still support their gameplay solo? Well lets list skills. A weapon, Type of combat (armed unarmed ect), Dodge, Parry. there are 4! Now add weaponcrafting, it requires scavenging and foraging, and sometimes hunting, that makes 7! Gotta eat so either fishing or foraging! There is 8! They need armors (when they are working) and their supporting skills (ie hunting, bonecraft) Up to 11! So say we give 600-800 points to spend! FORCING them to rely on others as well. After all, they say we should rely on others to defend us and our totem.

Many will answer this with 'then people will just make alts' well I say good. More income for the company to continue development/hire more devs ect! Not only that every hour they spend on that alt making their equipment is one hour less they are hunting newbies and running them off because we all knwo that most PVP players are NOT looking for an equal fight EVER!

You bring up some good points.

For you to keep 100 Architecture, you simply need to keep active in it. You can build for other people, you can change things in your town. If you dont use it, you should lose it over time in my opinion. Someone that wants to be a master Architect isnt going just stop. They are going to keep building.

I believe in a total cap for skills, and they plan on doing it. Its going to be a soft cap though. If you dont know how a soft cap works, its like this.
    Say there is a soft cap of 700 points. After that each point you gain takes 2x longer to gain, then after 10 more points it takes 3x, then after 10 more points it takes 4x. etc, so by the time you get to total of 1000 points, its going to take you something like 1000x longer to gain 1 point, than it did to go from 699 to 700.

I disagree with the locking and unlocking of skills. If you want to keep leather-crafting simply used it, other skills will decay. Remember these skills wont just decay from 100 to 90 overnight, it will take time.

I agree with you on ALL totems in the current area should be like they are, I believe these areas are good for training, and for people that want to be safe. My idea of attackable totems are for areas not yet uncovered by the mist. This will allow people the choice of moving to an area that's more dangerous not only because their totems can be attacked, but also maybe mutants like zombies and other animals will be attacking them.
    However, to move into these areas you would want to offer a bit of a reward. Maybe better resources of higher avg QL, or maybe more animals, or maybe rare animals that yield better bonuses. Things like that.
    I would like to see "Outposts" or expansion totems used to take over key spots on the map for very rare resources that are for the most part only able to be got at these locations. This will give people keep spots to fight over and meet for contested PVP things.

I agree most players should want to trade for their good items, but the way I see it, soft skill cap wont stop you from being a warrior and building your own things, or being a crafter and hunting your own animals. The way I see it, if you dont want to trade with others and be the jack of all trades, then you should be the master of none type of thing. Sure you can make your own armor, but it wont be of master QL or better. You could build your own town but it wont be of the best rocks.
    Plus the plan is to have pools, and stack rank them.
    Meaning running wouldnt use 100 of your pool points, it might only use 10to1 ratio. While Bonecrafting might use 1to1 ratio.

So it is your opinion that those who want a safe area should be limited to what we are told is 1/10th of the map? no way! I also disagree with having to WAIT for something to decay over an extended period of time to learn something new. The 'wont decay from 100-90 overnight' would be the problem with that system.

So it is your opinion that those who want a safe area should be limited to what we are told is 1/10th of the map? no way! I also disagree with having to WAIT for something to decay over an extended period of time to learn something new. The 'wont decay from 100-90 overnight' would be the problem with that system.
    1) I dont think it should be the only safe areas no. I believe like games like EVE where 75% of the world is free PVP, and 10% is really safe (in Xsyon's case 100% safe), the other 15% should be mixed levels of safety. So yes, I agree that only 1/10th the map should be 100% safe. However, I dont think the starting area should be the only areas that are safe. I believe modeling it like EVE online does is a good idea.

2)Care to explain how its a problem? You just said you disagree, but didnt say why.

IF I decide I want to do something else when 'soft capped' the ability to turn a skill's decay on would allow me to do so. Having to wait on a painfully slow decay rate would not allow me to change and learn a new skill in a timely manner. IE as you stated wont loose 10 points overnight. OK so I then dont have even 10 points to gain in the new skill over DAYS of using it even at starting with 5 in it. I agree locking one should not be possible. But the ability to willing loose points in an undesired skill would almost be a must to change a char's direction.

For instance. If you have a crafter and suddenly decide you would like to partake of more PVP action. Should you have to wait MONTHS for those tradeskills to decay before you can raise (again in a timely manner) your combat oriented skills?

IF I decide I want to do something else when 'soft capped' the ability to turn a skill's decay on would allow me to do so. Having to wait on a painfully slow decay rate would not allow me to change and learn a new skill in a timely manner. IE as you stated wont loose 10 points overnight. OK so I then dont have even 10 points to gain in the new skill over DAYS of using it even at starting with 5 in it. I agree locking one should not be possible. But the ability to willing loose points in an undesired skill would almost be a must to change a char's direction.

For instance. If you have a crafter and suddenly decide you would like to partake of more PVP action. Should you have to wait MONTHS for those tradeskills to decay before you can raise (again in a timely manner) your combat oriented skills?

I agree, your right. I was talking about overnight of not doing nothing (IE sleeping overnight), if you are actively training skills and not ever touching your leather-crafting, it should drop pretty fast. But what crafter wouldn't work on their main craft every once in a while to keep it active?

TY. the ability to turn one to decrease as you gain a point thru use of the new skill would be acceptable I think. IE if tailoring was set to decrease so I could learn leathercrafting it would simply decrease by one every time the new skill being used (leathercrafting) would naturally gain one rather than having to wait however long decay would take to loose that one point in tailoring.

Great conversation OP hope ya didnt see this as an argument. Was far from such imho. Who else has ideas. I hear tons daily discussed in game. lets get em read and discussed both pros and cons.