Trying to understand Stats and skills

The manual says a few things about stats, First off having a higher stat will increase the speed at which you will learn in a master a associated skill. The provided table also adds a few addition things like strength improving carry capacity, intelligence improving learning (I'm guessing reduces learning time of all skills?) It also pokes at what having higher skills will do for you, such as high swimming reduces energy drain.

My issue is there are many stats with no definition as to what it will actually do for you beyond that. I have been told by some players that having high stats also effects the outcome of your crafting but I see no way of realistically testing that, nor can I find any official word on the subject. I did a forum search and read tons of the Questions of the Week to no avail.

It would be nice to know if down the road I really need to worry about maxing out certain stats because I wont be as good of a crafter without them. Or without those higher stats it only takes me much longer to max out a particular skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakeen View Post
    The manual says a few things about stats, First off having a higher stat will increase the speed at which you will learn in a master a associated skill. The provided table also adds a few addition things like strength improving carry capacity, intelligence improving learning (I'm guessing reduces learning time of all skills?) It also pokes at what having higher skills will do for you, such as high swimming reduces energy drain.

My issue is there are many stats with no definition as to what it will actually do for you beyond that. I have been told by some players that having high stats also effects the outcome of your crafting but I see no way of realistically testing that, nor can I find any official word on the subject. I did a forum search and read tons of the Questions of the Week to no avail.

It would be nice to know if down the road I really need to worry about maxing out certain stats because I wont be as good of a crafter without them. Or without those higher stats it only takes me much longer to max out a particular skill.

1)The stat and skill system is changing.
    2)Higher stat only slightly increases the speed at which you learn that skill.
    3)Higher stats also increases the max # of recipes you can have with that skill.
    4)Higher stats increase the chance of success.
    5)Higher stats increase the QL of the item (until the max of supreme)
    6)Higher stats increase the bonus amount of items that apply a bonus. IE. Making leather helmet with raccoon leather will give a dex bonus, if you have higher stats it will give a higher dex bonus.

Right now all these bonuses are very minor.
    Like #6, having 90points higher on dex will increase your bonus on items by 33%. So instead of getting say 1.2dex off an item you would get 1.56 dex.

Most of the bonus to crafting comes from the tools you use.

Would you have to have perfect stats to be a good crafter? No. Will you have to have perfect stats to be the best crafter? Yes.

I would wish that the stats had more effect.

Right now with 42 weaponcrafting skill, 24 base dex, I can make supreme QL weapons. No one can make better weapons than that either.