Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I think Creator hit the nail on the head really.

If you want to be safe, live near safer more populated areas. If you are out in the wilds expect to be attacked by wild animals. If you cant fight them off, get someone to help, if you dont want to get someone to help either train up, or build walls.

Quote Originally Posted by doowac13 View Post
    yes can be very frustrating been getting owned out here, I would hate to leave because i did so much to the place.When the game first came out i lived near the lake but to much traffic and spam killing that i decided to move out in the wild. I managed to terraform a chunk of land 70 levels in the air over looking everything and a tent and campfire up there as well. took along time to make but now it looks like i will go back to the lake or join a big tribe if i want to survive. Them dam horned raccoons to of them are bigger than me.Them giant radioactive bastards lol.
    It does suck but at the same time there should be stuff out here hard to kill to give some of the better players a chance to have a good fight. I just wish there was a way to tell if i even have a chance to kill something instead of finding out the hard way
    Were the racoons INSIDE your camp? I mean, could the raccoons have gotten inside your camp if they came from outside its perimiter? If they were spawned INSIDE your camp without a means to actually get into the camp then I think this is something that should be fixed in the code. It shouldn't be accepted to have animals spawning inside your own tribe, as one of the primary reasons to build a tribe is to keep the tribes people safe from the animals outside. This is a case where if the code actually produced animals in a more realistic way then it wouldn't be such a problem.

A wall can't function as a wall if animals are spawning inside...

The premise of Xyson is to change hte world around you. This mechanic breaks that. A guy builds a very tall camp surrounded by walls and this mechanic spawns raccoons inside. (/bug) If he were actually changing the world then doing what he did would have an impact and prevent this.

And this is another example why more pvp and conflict is not good for the game. If you think raccoons in your camp is bad, wait until players gang up and grief you when you're logging timber. Or worse, you get a vengeful spy in your tribe and they steal some of your stuff and/or make your life hard.

I think that, overall, animals should NOT be so aggressive as they're. 99% of the time they should leave you alone. It should be that there're those few animals that go berserk and hunt humans, but it should be a controlled way so that players can gather together and kill them. From the videos on youtube, I can see that most animals are kill-on-sight? Correct me if I am wrong.

In fact, one of the reasons animals in RL survive is because they AVOID people and even go so far as fleeing from humans (out of fear and self-preservation). This aides in their survival. If one could duplicate this effect in a game like Xyson then even if you let players kill off animals from a region, it would be very hard for players to actually do this unless they were very discrete about it. I imagine that if you designed it right then it would be virtually impossible for players to cause extinction.

If I recall right, when Xyson was new, players were killing off populations of animals in Xyson and this caused the developers to spawn the creatures when their populations fell too low.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    I think Creator hit the nail on the head really.

If you want to be safe, live near safer more populated areas. If you are out in the wilds expect to be attacked by wild animals. If you cant fight them off, get someone to help, if you dont want to get someone to help either train up, or build walls.
    The problem with your suggestion is that if animals can spawn pretty much anywhere then living in a populated area won't matter much if you happen to stumble on a spawn of horned raccoons. You'll still get killed until somebody can help you. It's still positively inane and unacceptable for a game like Xyson where players change the world and the spawn generator has to recognize this reasonably well.

If animals were spawned with their "parents" then they would never get past a tribe wall (without admittance) or deep into player-dominated territory. If a player in the wild has built a small settlement then I can see them stumbling on a raccoon spawn when they go outside the safety of their camp, but having raccoons spawn INSIDE their camp (their tribal area) is just much too tacky.

If this is all true then I would hope it'd be addressed in a future patch.

Namely:
    1) Reduce the aggression of most animals so they're not kamikaze (aka. suicide-bombers)
    2) Breed them with more care placed on the fact that players are changing the world

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklingshores View Post
    Namely:
    1) Reduce the aggression of most animals so they're not kamikaze (aka. suicide-bombers)
    2) Breed them with more care placed on the fact that players are changing the world
    I agree with this.
    Also i think that animals must be afraid of fire.

On this moment i get killed 4 times a day and sometimes i can not see the animals at all...they are so small or are hidden in logs, trees or other stuff. (baby hamster....hmm)
    Also some animals stay on one place for days. I had to agro one and let it follow me to another place to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wamfab View Post
    I agree with this.
    Also i think that animals must be afraid of fire.

On this moment i get killed 4 times a day and sometimes i can not see the animals at all...they are so small or are hidden in logs, trees or other stuff. (baby hamster....hmm)
    Also some animals stay on one place for days. I had to agro one and let it follow me to another place to get rid of it.
    There was a time when Deer would not agro, and if you got too close they would run but would turn and fight. If cornered they would run around panicked. I'm not sure why this was changed? I would guess because we don't have range weapons yet and they were hard to catch if you couldn't agro. I miss the realistic frightened deer and other animals.

As far as the tiny animals go, yes some are just a bit too tiny. They have been adjusting size and are getting it close but obviously a baby hamster or marmot should NOT be attacking and KILLING LOL. Be patient, it's been ongoing changes and getting better. Animal AI is getting great, they pack correctly now, they grow in size and strength, they run when hurt, but not too far and they can fight in water. (I remember when animals couldn't even cross or walk on rocks or swim in water)

Xsyon Citizen
    Its a forth and back .. and each time getting closer to a good solution.

First animals were really afraid, they ran away (or hid) - if you fought them and they were wounded - they would try to flee.

That caused some problems:
    Player complained that they dont see any creatures (hunters were annoyed they could not find prey) - and others found that it was hard to kill animals do to their "flee" behaviour, so most people were unhappy with the animal AI (hard to find, hard to follow a wounded animal). Their "flee" and "avoid" behaviour resulted in a huge number of animals trapped in the green mist - which was the only place safe for them.

So the system was changed so that animals dont flee so much, and be more in the open ... that worked, and players started to hunt and kill animals.

Next players complained that the animals are too easy to fight, and once some "hunter parties" were successful, that there are no animals left to kill (in the more active regions).
    The reason (as explained to us) was that too many "adult female" animals had been killed and due to the low population it was hard for the remaining animals to breed.

So now there is some kind of "spawning" process that repopulates areas with animals, so that this kind of problem (no animals in a region) would not happen so fast (at least that is what i read out of some posts of Xsyon himself).

The situtation now is, that the animals do spawn (some more specific information about that would be appreciated) and they breed as well. They are also more agressive - so the players in general will have more encounters with animals - walls and buildings are more important because they protect you from aggressive animals ...

When the revenants are roaming the land, the animals agressiveness will hopefully be reduced, because the revenants will take over the "job" of making the world a dangerous place - the animals sort of have to step in until the revenants are active.

However its much more fun now than it was before the changes - a world without danger is dull (imho).

PS: For me the small/mirco bears/deers are 1) too small, 2) too aggressive 3) too hard to kill - a small bear has double my health points and deals about 60% more than i do - but i run faster :P

animals are fine as is now. Sure there could be some tweeks but, I have deer and racoons run from me. Some larger ones attack me. If I am low on stam/energy or health smaller ones will attack sometimes. So manage your Stamina/Energy, And if one attacks you and you cant kill it run away. If it is on your totem, build a wall, a real wall, not a dirt wall. You can keep out a lot of things with the basic crude branch wall.

Quote Originally Posted by tomduril View Post
    Its a forth and back .. and each time getting closer to a good solution.

First animals were really afraid, they ran away (or hid) - if you fought them and they were wounded - they would try to flee.

That caused some problems:
    Player complained that they dont see any creatures (hunters were annoyed they could not find prey) - and others found that it was hard to kill animals do to their "flee" behaviour, so most people were unhappy with the animal AI (hard to find, hard to follow a wounded animal). Their "flee" and "avoid" behaviour resulted in a huge number of animals trapped in the green mist - which was the only place safe for them.

So the system was changed so that animals dont flee so much, and be more in the open ... that worked, and players started to hunt and kill animals.

Next players complained that the animals are too easy to fight, and once some "hunter parties" were successful, that there are no animals left to kill (in the more active regions).
    The reason (as explained to us) was that too many "adult female" animals had been killed and due to the low population it was hard for the remaining animals to breed.

So now there is some kind of "spawning" process that repopulates areas with animals, so that this kind of problem (no animals in a region) would not happen so fast (at least that is what i read out of some posts of Xsyon himself).

The situtation now is, that the animals do spawn (some more specific information about that would be appreciated) and they breed as well. They are also more agressive - so the players in general will have more encounters with animals - walls and buildings are more important because they protect you from aggressive animals ...

When the revenants are roaming the land, the animals agressiveness will hopefully be reduced, because the revenants will take over the "job" of making the world a dangerous place - the animals sort of have to step in until the revenants are active.

However its much more fun now than it was before the changes - a world without danger is dull (imho).

PS: For me the small/mirco bears/deers are 1) too small, 2) too aggressive 3) too hard to kill - a small bear has double my health points and deals about 60% more than i do - but i run faster :P
    Well Xyson shouldn't be played like other games. Players walk outside their camp and expect to find hordes of skeletons and dragons and rats and orcs and other things to hack/slash. The problem isn't that there're players who want to hunt, the problem is that there're players that want to play this like it's a normal hack/slash MMORPG. We need more people who play Deer Hunter-type games.

Deer Hunter:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_Hu...8video_game%29

You actually had to HUNT, not just walk outside and hack/slash a helpless orc.

I get it that people want the world to feel dangerous. They want their walls to mean something - to protect them, to give them privacy, and so on. But you know what? I think this feeling of wanting there to be danger has more to do with hunter-type players than other types. The hunter-types are the ones that can best defend themselves, so naturally they want a challenge. The people who instead choose to craft or explore (are there explore-specific skills?) might want a world less dangerous because they have less offensive/defensive capability than a hunter.

I think most animals shouldn't be aggressive. And if you want a realistic breeding simulation then animals have to try to avoid the players to survive. And if they travel together in loose (or tight) packs then the strong(er) males can better defend the young and the females from being killed. Furthermore, if animals don't spawn in dumb places (like inside a tribe's walls), then a hunter can seek out aggressive animals in higher concentrations by going deeper into the wild areas. This ensures that finding an animal isn't just random but predictable, if you know where the player population is. If animals need water then you can even follow the rivers when hunting. And if there're any lakes or secret ponds then you can hunt there too. These sorts of details are nice. If the game handles it right then hunters should be able to find danger and there should be on infrequent occassions rabid animals that will actively hunt humans rather than just being dumbly aggressive. But anyway, it's hard for me to say for sure until I actually log in and see for myself what's going on. Right now all my information is coming from this forum and youtube, so I'm sorry if I get things wrong here and there.

Oh... and I agree that fire should keep animals away.

Xyson is about changing the world. If monsters can ALWAYS be found outside your camp or tribal town, like willing victims, then what are players changing????? If I can't clear the region around my tribe and make the animals fear it and run away in terror then I am not playing a sandbox game.

And one other thing. If you think having animals outside your camp that're aggressive and always willing to die then realize this: That'll get boring quick. Pretty soon you'll want something different.

Players always wnat something different. Truth is whatever is trending.

sparklingshores,

Play the game. Right now it will take over 1 month of playing 5 hours a day hunting to make 1 suit of armor for a player using good mats off animals. This is at the higher spawn rates.

The problem is multi problem.

1)Why are animals randomly spawned at points around the map?
    2)Many animals are aggressive that shouldnt be.
    3)Baby animals are aggressive.
    4)There is a very slow spawn rate.
    5)Resources off animals are to little IF current spawn system is used and growth, if they increase the respawn then resources are too much.
    6)Animals AI is very bad making hard mobs to easy, thus having to boost smaller animals, so neither are balanced.
    7)There is no way to track animals, so finding a good fight is very random.
    8)Animals spawn now so if you kill them off in your area they will still keep coming back.
    9)There is no place to really find a good fight. So combat players at stuck wondering around aimlessly to find something to combat.
    10)New players are stuck with not able to find a "newbie" spawn to train up combat, they can run into a baby rat that dies in 3 hits to a noob, or run into a full grown bear that killed the noob in 1 hit.

Sparkling what does killing monsters have to do with "Changing the world"? Having tons of monsters around isnt going to change the building aspects of the game, other than make it harder to do outside your tribe walls, or without combat skills.

You dont play the game else you would know this isnt like the deer hunter game you listed. There is no way to track an animal to find it. Heck if they had that it would be a lot better. One major problem though is then there would be 0 animals left on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    sparklingshores,

Play the game. Right now it will take over 1 month of playing 5 hours a day hunting to make 1 suit of armor for a player using good mats off animals. This is at the higher spawn rates.

The problem is multi problem.

1)Why are animals randomly spawned at points around the map?
    2)Many animals are aggressive that shouldnt be.
    3)Baby animals are aggressive.
    4)There is a very slow spawn rate.
    5)Resources off animals are to little IF current spawn system is used and growth, if they increase the respawn then resources are too much.
    6)Animals AI is very bad making hard mobs to easy, thus having to boost smaller animals, so neither are balanced.
    7)There is no way to track animals, so finding a good fight is very random.
    8)Animals spawn now so if you kill them off in your area they will still keep coming back.
    9)There is no place to really find a good fight. So combat players at stuck wondering around aimlessly to find something to combat.
    10)New players are stuck with not able to find a "newbie" spawn to train up combat, they can run into a baby rat that dies in 3 hits to a noob, or run into a full grown bear that killed the noob in 1 hit.

Sparkling what does killing monsters have to do with "Changing the world"? Having tons of monsters around isnt going to change the building aspects of the game, other than make it harder to do outside your tribe walls, or without combat skills.

You dont play the game else you would know this isnt like the deer hunter game you listed. There is no way to track an animal to find it. Heck if they had that it would be a lot better. One major problem though is then there would be 0 animals left on the map.
    Actually, I did play Deer Hunter 2 and 3 (i think those were hte ones) and had a friend playing a hunting simulation more recently. Yes, they did leave tracks, at least in the snow. I remember having a truck or small 4 wheeler to get around and a little cabin. But anyway I don't remember looking at the tracks in the spring/summer/autumn months when I was hunting.. but I do remember trying to mask my scent and doing various things to attract em. I mostly just ran around and looked at things - never really got into the game very deeply. I'm not a hunter in RL, but appreciate their devotion to it.

Also... Indians did not kill off the buffalo. It's true that modern man was able to kill off some animals, but saying that because animals can leave tracks means player willl kill em off, is iffy. Seeing how most players want everything brought to them so they don't have to do anything, I doubt it.

1) Animals should not spawn inside a tribe (especially one with walls) - spawn them better
    2) Reduce overall aggression of animals
    3) Make SOME of the animals actively flee from humans and SOME not like fire

I don't believe they should all be willing victims. I know some players like to have easy kills.

I feel that smarter animals will make the game funner, not easy kills. Of course, if the animals are too smart then they'll be the ones hunting us or driving us out of our homes to the green mist.

That's all. Thank you.

Actually, I did play Deer Hunter 2 and 3 (i think those were hte ones) and had a friend playing a hunting simulation more recently. Yes, they did leave tracks, at least in the snow. I remember having a truck or small 4 wheeler to get around and a little cabin. But anyway I don't remember looking at the tracks in the spring/summer/autumn months when I was hunting.. but I do remember trying to mask my scent and doing various things to attract em. I mostly just ran around and looked at things - never really got into the game very deeply. I'm not a hunter in RL, but appreciate their devotion to it.
    Huh? Im talking about play Xsyon.

Also... Indians did not kill off the buffalo. It's true that modern man was able to kill off some animals, but saying that because animals can leave tracks means player willl kill em off, is iffy. Seeing how most players want everything brought to them so they don't have to do anything, I doubt it.

1) Animals should not spawn inside a tribe (especially one with walls) - spawn them better
    2) Reduce overall aggression of animals
    3) Make SOME of the animals actively flee from humans and SOME not like fire

I don't believe they should all be willing victims. I know some players like to have easy kills.

I feel that smarter animals will make the game funner, not easy kills. Of course, if the animals are too smart then they'll be the ones hunting us or driving us out of our homes to the green mist.

That's all. Thank you.
    My point about how the animals will be killed off is because I can clear a board in little time of animals if it was easier to find them, and that would jack up the breeding system they have. There is nothing stopping me (other than a tracking system) from clearing the whole map in 1 or 2 days of gameplay.

1)Yep, I agree they shouldnt.
    2)I would like to see most animals be non aggressive also.
    3)Good idea here also.

I believe animals should be hunted and not willing victims. I'm not sure why you are commenting on this but great.

Animals should be smarter, and some not easy kills.

All that doesnt fix the problem of combat people not able to do crap to have fun in game. Reread through what I just posted, and you will see I agreed with what you are saying. Those things should be done. But there are more problems here with animals and balancing issues that what you are saying.

Walking around the map aimlessly to find animals to fight is the least fun in the game. You can tell me "dont do it" but then you have your answer why combat players are not playing this game.