I personly would like to see skills set to minus to still be able to gain stats from doing them.
Here is my reasoning for this.
I have played other games that tried to lock stats to skills. The results where, fighter types could easly beat crafter gather type chars, So rolling a crafter gather type char was just the same as saying "Iam gonna be a victim for the rest of my game life."
Resulting in cookie cutter roll of chars. I mean no one wants to be a victim.
Now the DEVs tried hard to defend thier choice in this by saying things like, well the fighters can defend the crafters. Not sure about anyone else but Iam not paying 15 bucks a month to stand around and watch someone else cut trees, boring enough to do it, much less stand there and watch someone else do it.

Think I would like to see str and fort maxed would result in a set amount of HP ( for all players ) Its very dishearting for new players to find out old players can have 20 times the best you can ever hope have. And snowballs chance in heck of losing those hp. I mean lets equal out the field here, Its PVP and all should have the same fair chance.
Time invested should reap rewards, being able to make better items ect., but all should have the opertunity to be able to reach the same level of items stats and skills, if they chose to do so.