Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    So your arguement for coming here and whining about performance and denying to listen to good advice (turning advanced shadows off) is because anything but max settings is not good enough for you? Did I get that right?

Hodo I am not bitching, just showing an issue I find and have found with the game since the beginning (I played several months when the game released and I have checked the game several times since then, and I have been posting performance problems since the first days . About the 4gb or 8gb ram, I have 8, it was my fault to say I had 4 but it is not really relevant now. I know how other games differ with Xsyon on handling graphics, but they manage to give good performance to their players, letting high end rigs to play at max settings and still showing a beautiful game. It is not a justification to say you get that performance because Xsyon do this or that so you have to buy a NASA computer or turn things down. Xsyon needs to be optimized so that they find a way to show X land mass and give good performance, so that good rigs can play at good/max settings.If shadows are a problem, optimize them. Anything else is just a bit fanboy-thinking: not assuming there is a problem in performance and trying to avoid that fact by telling people to just shut up or play at low settings. If you want to continue defending this issue, I think you don't do ANY favour to the devs and the game. When more people play, build towns, more features are introduced into the game.... the bad performance will be a doom, just like it is now for people like me that try the game again.

Oh, I can show you how I get 30-60fps in Mortal Online anytime you want

Gawds...

The difference in quality without advanced shadows is tiny, the FPS you get from turning it off is HUGE. Its not fanboi'ism its common bloody sense...

Tell you what, if I was a dev and had the choice between focusing on optimizing the game engine to allow you to play at absolute max settings when you bloody well know that you can fix your issues by turning off ONE SINGLE SETTING or pushing out more content that the games needs to survive... guess which one Id pick.

Turn it off or leave it on, its your choice. It is NOT the devs problem if you choose to play on settings that makes your fps poo.

Quote Originally Posted by banden View Post
    Gawds...
    Turn it off or leave it on, its your choice. It is NOT the devs problem if you choose to play on settings that makes your fps poo.
    Exactly! I couldn't even believe this thread when I read it this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by prokop15 View Post
    My experience with the free time so far:

Logged in and couldn't move. Every step or sound caused an error (step, axe swing, ambient bird noise, etc.). Exited, clicked "Patch" again, and re-entered, then everything was fine... for like 5 minutes. Then All the errors came back.
    This is a known issue when you unplug or change soundcard settings. Putting in a headset, or changing some of the sound settings on your computer will cause this, relogging will fix it until you change settings in windows or unplug/change headset/speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by banden View Post
    Gawds...

The difference in quality without advanced shadows is tiny, the FPS you get from turning it off is HUGE. Its not fanboi'ism its common bloody sense...

Tell you what, if I was a dev and had the choice between focusing on optimizing the game engine to allow you to play at absolute max settings when you bloody well know that you can fix your issues by turning off ONE SINGLE SETTING or pushing out more content that the games needs to survive... guess which one Id pick.

It is a choice when you consider even the best gaming systems have issues with FPS. With a 3k custom built computer, you should be able to run a game at max settings without getting 50FPS.

When you have older computers, you shouldnt have to turn everything off to even make the game playable at 20 or 30fps.

Having said that, sandbox games tend to have issues with FPS. Indy games tend to have issues with FPS. Merge to the 2, and you got it worse. Xsyons not too bad on FPS, but still could be better to help people out with system specs and fun at playing.

Guys I have shadows in High and not advanced. I will check again tomorrow but if you want to beleive the game is great and performance is great, ok. Time will tell if this is a serious issue or not

It -is- the developers job to make sure the performance is on par. If a high-end rig cannot run the game at max setting and must settle for medium or low, how do you think a low mid-range to low end system will perform? You go to a bank to cash a check and the teller says, "I'm sorry, it'll only be ten minutes, the computer is processing your account information." Would that be okay? No.

Regardless of what is being rendered, how it is being rendered, and what algorithms are going on, acceptable performance is a must for any piece of software. It should be planned for in the development process. If an application is too slow, then a solution must be found. Lowering the settings is not an excuse if you have the proper hardware. Your car that is under warranty starts to make a terrible noise if you accelerate over 50 mph on the highway. You take it to the dealership and they say, "Well, do not go that fast on the highway." Would that be okay? No.

I understand that the team developing Xsyon is small and that they have other things to worry about. Right now the focus is on fixing gameplay. The point to be made here is that Xsyon still runs pretty bad and if they ever want to attempt to draw in others who are on the fence about the game or genre, then the performance must improve. Not everyone has an expensive piece of hardware (even with those who do, a large portion of them have only average framerates). Treyu is not just complaining about his rig. He is bringing up a valid technical problem which is that the performance is Xsyon is shoddy, effecting the potential size of Xsyon's player base, and the enjoyment of its end-users.

This game should not require high-end hardware, even at max settings. I really like this game's concept and wish it the best, but it has performance issues. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Tournus View Post
    It -is- the developers job to make sure the performance is on par. If a high-end rig cannot run the game at max setting and must settle for medium or low, how do you think a low mid-range to low end system will perform? You go to a bank to cash a check and the teller says, "I'm sorry, it'll only be ten minutes, the computer is processing your account information." Would that be okay? No.

Regardless of what is being rendered, how it is being rendered, and what algorithms are going on, acceptable performance is a must for any piece of software. It should be planned for in the development process. If an application is too slow, then a solution must be found. Lowering the settings is not an excuse if you have the proper hardware. Your car that is under warranty starts to make a terrible noise if you accelerate over 50 mph on the highway. You take it to the dealership and they say, "Well, do not go that fast on the highway." Would that be okay? No.

I understand that the team developing Xsyon is small and that they have other things to worry about. Right now the focus is on fixing gameplay. The point to be made here is that Xsyon still runs pretty bad and if they ever want to attempt to draw in others who are on the fence about the game or genre, then the performance must improve. Not everyone has an expensive piece of hardware (even with those who do, a large portion of them have only average framerates). Treyu is not just complaining about his rig. He is bringing up a valid technical problem which is that the performance is Xsyon is shoddy, effecting the potential size of Xsyon's player base, and the enjoyment of its end-users.

This game should not require high-end hardware, even at max settings. I really like this game's concept and wish it the best, but it has performance issues. Plain and simple.
    Thanks god someone understands what I was trying to say (maybe it was my fault, language barrier hehe)

Quote Originally Posted by treyu View Post
    Thanks god someone understands what I was trying to say (maybe it was my fault, language barrier hehe)
    Everyone understands what you are saying, we just don't agree with you.

In many cases software developers will develop their software (or game engine) with graphic abilities that are beyond most current systems in anticipation of faster better performing systems. Take for example 64 bit software. Many games were 64 bit enabled long before it was out in anticipation of faster technology. Then they add controls to allow users to curb the graphics to their liking or to their current systems abilities. So saying you should be able to run any game full open is boastful at best, and an assumption that no game will develop graphics faster than YOUR current machine can handle. Sounds more like this is an EGO issue.

In your example of "Better Graphics" You cited Age of Conan. Have you noticed the faded pasty look everything has in AOC? That was their way of toning down the graphics so everyone could play the game. It was my biggest gripe when I first played because it looked like crap. Sure the animations are incredible, the details are incredible but it looks like someone drained all the contrast out. It's a technique most game developers reserve for distant graphics. I would rather keep the crisp graphics and adjust my own setting rather than have Xsyon use these methods to increase fps and make the world look like a pasty ghost world.

They provide graphic adjustments for a reason, try using them.

This isnt about toning down the graphics its about doing things to make them run better. Larger teams of coders have time to tweak a lot of these things with no effect on what you see however, they will run smoother.

I dont know why you think "Many games" had 64 bit before it was even out. I believe that's total BS.