Farewell, for now

I have played for two months now and my experience of Xsyon so far is that it won't keep me playing for another two. The reasons are many and Ill try to point out a few that you as a community will flame me for (but recognize), and you as a developer might look into and consider (hopefully). Some will think I had better posted it in suggestions, but I think that thread is connected to a black hole somewhere in the universe.

First I would like to say the two months have been fun and its nice to see a game that dares to be different. The core of the community is awesome and even though we have different ways of expressing ourselves we all have the best of Xsyon in common.

1) UI
    it could use a total makeover. I know you are pretty proud of what you made with the new patch, but it has a long way to go to be called smooth.
    Icons representing items for example are so dark that you can hardly see that there is anything there at all. It is also very hard to imagine that the blob of black should be some kind of greaves..or shoes..or... The different slots in the paper doll could use more info (that pops up when hoovering with the mouse pointer). The problem I've seen the last 5-6 weeks, that really wins the prize, is how you have to click 2-4 times on a material to add it for crafting - every time. If the crafting was a clicking nightmare before, it surely is alot more painful with the glitch.

2) Client crashes
    It is better now than it was 4-5 weeks ago, but it still happens too often for comfort. I checked my crashlogs and found 63 of them - generated during 2 months of playtime. I have never come across a game that crashes that often. In fact, I have a hard time remembering a vanilla game crash at all. With addons/extensions/modules games are a bit more prone to crashing, but this .. is just ridiculous.

3) Skill
    I started when everything was possible. At first I thought the idea of specializing in skills would benefit trade and make for a more dynamic world, but that has changed. The population is too small for any serious trade to take place. And seriously - some skills are just mind numbingly boring to practice and trying to get high quality items from those will be pretty hard to come by. Perhaps an approach where you choose 1-2 main crafting skills and get all the relevant gathering skills would be an option? There is also a need for more skills to make the game a bit more interesting (cooking, alchemy, mining, forging, blacksmithing, trapping, etc. etc) And these skills need to go into the game alot faster than the plan suggests.

4) Inconsistency
    There are things in the game that are really annoying. Like, how can I swim with a cart at 10m depth of water, but not 17? Either prevent swimming with a cart totally, or allow it for any depths.
    If I can plant my shovel in the dirt and take a shovelfull of it and put it in my bag when Im on my tribe land, why can't I do it when I walk 30m in any other direction?
    Why can't I build when not on tribe land? Are my skills geographically dependant?
    Why don't buildings deterioate and wither?
    Why do I have to pile dirt up in order to build a second storey building? Most houses I've built are built by starting at the foundation.
    Why do I have to put down a project on a flat surface and then move it all the way to where I want it?
    Why can you /unstuck into a tribal area at all?
    How come you can jump like a bloody kangaroo over distances that are totally ridiculous and forcing us to build even more ridiculous walls to protect vs that?
    How come there are no bridges or anyone who can build them in the game? If we can do carts we must surely have picked up the basic concept of transportation somewhere.

5) No moneysink...
    Ok, don't get me wrong here. The game needs a sink of some sort that generates a flow that could be called economy. Todays "currency" is nails/scews/twine but it would need a bit of tweaking to be completely satisfying. A currency that depends on luck (nails) is a bit ... unsatisfying. Twine is a better currency since it depending on time/skill - not luck. As a developer you need to think this through and make a design to support a better economic system. Perhaps the time to produce items is too short? What is the price difference between a protective shirt that has taken 1hr to make and another one that took you 5s? Since I got no background in economy I won't debate further into this, all I can say is that it is lacking in one way or the other.

Ill sneak in a few thanks here as well, since it's my post I can do what I want...

China, for your friendliness and trust
    Qwerty, for many chats on ts
    Hartley, dito
    Hodo, for the most obscene and obese outfit in the game
    Grass Hermit, for having lower hp than me and for knowing how to swing a straw.
    MrDDT, for fair trades
    Deacon, for the tour in your house
    GuideIsda, for your help during many occasions

So long, and thanks for the fish.

Farewell Azzym!
    Although I didn't know you in-game I do applaud and appreciate your graceful and insightful exit, hopefully others will as well. =D

Economyfail is actually one of the things I like about Xsyon. Barter system ftw! Too many adam smiths here. This isn't EVE or a tycoon game is it? The world was destroyed, money too. Players should have to bow and scrape to bring currency back if they want it, and it should be a vulnerable system. This game begs for anarchy.

+1 on the freedom of digging/building. I want to be able to dig/build anywhere. My guess, based on the long loading time, is the way they have it programmed it doesn't allow for such freedom, nor will it ever, a shame indeed.

I'm gone too. Long time ago. Neat concept but too many annoyances from the start. Much of what you said in your lovely post. Keeping an eye on it though.

Bye for now!

Goodbye for now Azzym and hope to see you back soon

I won't dispute your review of Xsyon, there has been plenty of that to go around but I would like to try and address your topic of inconsistencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzym View Post
    4) Inconsistency
    There are things in the game that are really annoying. Like, how can I swim with a cart at 10m depth of water, but not 17? Either prevent swimming with a cart totally, or allow it for any depths.
    I believe this is because bridges are not in game yet but will be soon and for now it allows us to cross rivers until we can build bridges.

If I can plant my shovel in the dirt and take a shovelfull of it and put it in my bag when Im on my tribe land, why can't I do it when I walk 30m in any other direction?
    Why can't I build when not on tribe land? Are my skills geographically dependant?
    This is in keeping with earning your place in the world, and real property value. All games require you work hard for the best things. Games need to have challenges. If you want a large spread, you have to work for it like everyone else.

Why don't buildings deterioate and wither?
    Why do I have to pile dirt up in order to build a second storey building? Most houses I've built are built by starting at the foundation.
    Decay is coming unless you are talking about visually withering? Sure that would be great but can you imagine the coding for that? I don't believe it would be practical, and the developers have bigger fish to fry before things like that could be considered.

The Piling of dirt to build a two story building was created by the players who found a way to work outside the parameters of the games original design. That is "Sandbox" at it's very best, and that alone is one of the reasons I love this game, the ability to be creative. I LOVE this part LOL. However Xsyon has stated that large building and multi story buildings are in it's future. This is part of Xsyons evolutions. In time the world will evolve and so will the things we can do and build.

Why do I have to put down a project on a flat surface and then move it all the way to where I want it?
    Why can you /unstuck into a tribal area at all?
    He has said recently they are looking at changing the placement pitch for architecture to make placement easier.
    As for using "Unstuck" to get into tribes? You're not suppose to be able to. That is why you can't Unstuck through objects and structures. but I have not tested it much since there isn't really any reason to need to keep people out.

How come you can jump like a bloody kangaroo over distances that are totally ridiculous and forcing us to build even more ridiculous walls to protect vs that?
    This one I do agree with since the distance we can jump is quite unrealistic, but again if someone wants to jump into our place, I really don't care until which time there is a reason to keep people out.

How come there are no bridges or anyone who can build them in the game? If we can do carts we must surely have picked up the basic concept of transportation somewhere.
    Bridges are coming soon I believe. Again, this is an evolving true sandbox game, and I love the anticipation of the next new developments to come. This is what keeps me playing

Quote Originally Posted by Willowhawk View Post
    Bridges are coming soon I believe. Again, this is an evolving true sandbox game, and I love the anticipation of the next new developments to come. This is what keeps me playing

Is this soon like archery soon? You know where they said it was ready since release over a year ago?

Anyways to the OP. Take care, I hope to see you come back and check it out when things are working and more content for players. I cant even force myself to log in right now as there hasnt been anything new for months.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Is this soon like archery soon? You know where they said it was ready since release over a year ago?

Anyways to the OP. Take care, I hope to see you come back and check it out when things are working and more content for players. I cant even force myself to log in right now as there hasnt been anything new for months.
    I will certainly keep an eye open for updates and progress within Xsyon. I just hope they manage to implement what's in the plans before other games have it all and more.

Azzym is right with his post, and I think it was probably one of the best posts to point out the flaws in the the current state of the game. It is good but it is so unfinished still. Feels like Wurm online so many years ago shortly after release.

Sorry to see you go Azzym, hope you comeback one day when the game is better.