Thread: Starting Area's

Starting Area's

As of now we have two starting area's as you all might know.

I was thinking because us all are survivors and we gotta come together as a community and find allies and fight our way to that, what do you think of a random starting area of the world? Every person starts somewhere differently.

As when the game is released i can see the starting area's being depleted and contested for with alot of players surrounding there.

It would make it abit more realistic to have a totally random starting areas for when you create a new character so when you and your tribe want to meet up they can do so but through survival by finding eachother.

Also when starting at all different locations, each player will have a different view of the world and can communicate to others where a good place to set up a town for example rather than other areas.

Re:Starting Area's

Actually it would be nice to have more starting positions and maybe an option to start random (dependend on world and questdesign).

To have random positions in general is a bad idea imho as lot's of player wants to play together and want to have their initial game experience together on the one hand.

On the other hand this can also be a deadly start for newbies. If a newbie is overwehelmed in the very beginning, leaving him alone without any clue, it makes it unlikely for him to be attracted to the game.

Kordanor wrote:
    Actually it would be nice to have more starting positions and maybe an option to start random (dependend on world and questdesign).

To have random positions in general is a bad idea imho as lot's of player wants to play together and want to have their initial game experience together on the one hand.

On the other hand this can also be a deadly start for newbies. If a newbie is overwehelmed in the very beginning, leaving him alone without any clue, it makes it unlikely for him to be attracted to the game.
    I believe (and don't quote me on this, cause I don't want to dig up the post) that Jooky has stated at some point there will be an option to start at/near existing tribes and an option to start at a random position.

Again, I could be remembering incorrectly, but I believe this was the idea.

In Atitd players can build a building (something like a big pillar) which can be setup as a starting point for new players. Every new character gets a list of the potential starting point and he can choose from this list. Totally random starting point isn't very newbie friendly, if someone is dropped out in the forest all alone and he has no idea where to go to find others, that person probably won't stay long in the game.

i love the idea of starting some completely random place but that might just be me, ah to join the game and my firsth tohugt as always will be and what the **** do i do now, lets explore 2 min walking the EEEEEK A MONSTER ITS GOING TO KILL ME, after defteating the monster hey that was fun lets do it again hey there is a nother monster CHAAAARGE, after dying you start it over again

I've played a game that randomly places you in the wilderness, or if you know a players secret passphrase you can start at their camp.

Damn, nasty necro this one. I was about to ask the OP how he came to the conclusion that there was only 2 starting zones, then I realised how old the post was.

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontaze_Mebro View Post
    I've played a game that randomly places you in the wilderness, or if you know a players secret passphrase you can start at their camp.
    That is brilliant.