Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WhassUP, now?

Ok, I could have sworn we have said this 100 times before.

Rare valued resources that offer rewards that are localized and contested. (Like a mine that gives Superior Iron +3 bonus vs +1 bonus).
    Localized basic resources that are a risk vs reward. North has XYZ resources, South has ZYX resources. They would like to trade to do things.
    Faster modes of travel.
    A way to regen HP.
    A way to regen stamina. (Making travel a lot more fun)
    Armor and weapons that matter, NOT nerf them so they dont matter anymore. Last patch went backwards here. Spent 1000s of hours training up skills to make good armor (weapons are still the same no need for the best crafters) only to have it nerfed so that instead of a 1% to 10% bonus you getting a .3% to 1.5% bonus. Nothing to make me want to play train my skills up and fight over that gear or resources.
    Give reasons for buildings. Right now they are ONLY for looks and storing items that have no real value because they are easy to get, and offer no real rewards.
    Give people other than combat people a value in the game. Like farmers, or cooks.
    Give people that are combat a value in the game, hunting has just been made worthless. Combat people now only offer protection from PVE (Zombies)
    Long Term goals for tribes to work together or trade. Like Building bridges, rail system etc.

Yes, rare valued resources that actually serve a purpose. Tar and Ash, Freeway Rails and Lamp Post Heads, Quartz are in game. But you can't do anything with them. Yes, I know Tar is used for the Pioneer Waterskin, but surely that was not the only planned use for it. It could be used for torches, waterproofing, roofing construction, lots of things to create value. If I could line the perimeter of my tribe with actual street lights using these lamp post heads, now they would become a valued rare resource. What about building bridges with Freeway Rails? Just a few examples of "rare" items already in game that should have purpose and value. I can make a list of items that currently have no purpose if it helps.

prokop lol why are you still here???

Xsyon Citizen
    Meaning to a *game* - is that not something rather contradictory? I mean why pd people play card games (just for fun - not for money ...). Why do people play Diablo III? Tell me the "meaning" of that game

I believe the main purpose of any entertainment (games are entertainment) is to make the audience/players feel something - have emotions.

Films do things like joy, laughing (comedy), reflection (documentary, drama), sadness (drama), fear (horror), love, passion (love stories), and so on.

So if entertainment is about emotions, then a game should focus on some basic emotions of players:
    -) a sense of achievement (hard to balance newbees and vets)
    -) a sense of community (i believe that works well in Xsyon)
    -) a sense of greed ("valuable" stuff)
    -) a sense of power (domination of others, beeing the "best)

So how do other games do that ?

-) a sense of power (ladder, ranking, some easy way to compare oneself with others, very rare "achievements" that separates players)
    -) greed (very rare stuff that others want and you have it - as a player you are "rich")
    -) achievements - hard challenges that if you manage to complete them gives you some "uniqueness"

A lot of "purpose" is created from competition - and competition needs some way of comparing results and so on ...

If I may suggest something in this line:
    *) compare how many trees a tribe fell in one week/month/game play season - the "winning" tribe will get a season long buff on wood crafting (all members - only within the tribe area)
    *) compare how many bears/coyote... a tribe killed in one week/month/game play season - the "winning" tribe will get a season long buff on leather crafting (all members - only within the tribe area)
    *) compare the most "Kills" in PvP ... get a buff in weapons craft

That probably not what Jordy is focusing on - but competition and comparison between groups/individuals drive a lot of games - even simple things like "facebook games" are based on this very simple concept. And that kind of motivator is missing in Xsyon - you can "compare" the building structures - but there are no rules to that - and so the competition is without focus... Even the PvP events do not have a lasting meaning.

Achievments: hard to complete - make you distinct from others - have "meaning" for at least some (real life) weeks ... in Wow (and that is a game that does that quite well - 9 mio players and more) -> for at least some time it is "meaningful" to have the best gear and the newest achievements - until the next addon "resets" this mark and all players start from more or less the same level.

Is that something that makes sense?
    Make "actions" comparable between tribes and individuals?
    Have a Xsyon "ladder" that you can try to compete with somebody / some group on "known" rules?

Any comments on that?

Quote Originally Posted by GuideRaguel View Post
    Hello Hodo,
    We're looking for examples of current in-game features that you think do not have meaning and what you as a player would add/change to make that feature have the desired meaning that you are all craving for.
    Everything that is listed below is what we have been screaming, yelling, and asking for, for a few months. Things have been sliding backwards for months, other than go out redesign a homestead, build a new tree house, or see how high I can pile dirt till I have a hut on top of a spike in the middle of nowhere. All have no real meaning. There are no rare resources, there are no real buffs to armor or weapons, there is no reason to get high skills or even average skills other than to say you did it. Sure in a few years junk piles may begin to vanish but not anytime soon. And then there is the problem of there still is no push for the economy. Why should I trade with people when I can do most everything I need for myself. Not saying it should be more "team" oriented but I should need to trade every so often, even if its for better food.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Ok, I could have sworn we have said this 100 times before.

Rare valued resources that offer rewards that are localized and contested. (Like a mine that gives Superior Iron +3 bonus vs +1 bonus).
    Localized basic resources that are a risk vs reward. North has XYZ resources, South has ZYX resources. They would like to trade to do things.
    Faster modes of travel.
    A way to regen HP.
    A way to regen stamina. (Making travel a lot more fun)
    Armor and weapons that matter, NOT nerf them so they dont matter anymore. Last patch went backwards here. Spent 1000s of hours training up skills to make good armor (weapons are still the same no need for the best crafters) only to have it nerfed so that instead of a 1% to 10% bonus you getting a .3% to 1.5% bonus. Nothing to make me want to play train my skills up and fight over that gear or resources.
    Give reasons for buildings. Right now they are ONLY for looks and storing items that have no real value because they are easy to get, and offer no real rewards.
    Give people other than combat people a value in the game. Like farmers, or cooks.
    Give people that are combat a value in the game, hunting has just been made worthless. Combat people now only offer protection from PVE (Zombies)
    Long Term goals for tribes to work together or trade. Like Building bridges, rail system etc.

Xsyon Citizen
    What happened? are remnents dose not make you happy? isen't that what you always wanted?
    No wonder what players wanted aren't always the right decisions.
    And it is not a surprise people don't want to play such tedious game.

Quote Originally Posted by znaiika View Post
    What happened? are remnents dose not make you happy? isen't that what you always wanted?
    No wonder what players wanted aren't always the right decisions.
    And it is not a surprise people don't want to play such tedious game.
    I dont recall ever saying the Revnants or "zombies" would ever make me happy. Of all the things I wanted that was really low on the totem pole. I know for me personnally I wanted ranged combat, two handed weapons, cooking, animal training (mounts and for carts), and farming. Then I wouldnt mind a canoe or a kayak to get across the lake, but no need for big boats.

Instead I am now playing another half finished game with worse graphics that offers me more of what I am looking for right now. I unsubbed from Xsyon because I will only pay for one game at a time, and I did the math, pay for Star Quest Online - 9.99 a month vs 14.99 a month. I will keep an eye on Xsyon, but I am not paying for it anymore.

Tomduril said it better than I could... But let me add a couple things.

1. Give me a client that will actually work on my computer.

I can download from either eu or us patch server, do all the normal tricks, login and try and play my toon...

and it always just hangs at loading world.

2. Life in this game is meant to be hard, but some things should not be as tedious.

Building and crafting in real life are MUCH easier and less tedious than here.

Maybe make it so its easy to make 100 axe blades but take time to sharpen each one for use. Lower the weight of all these base resources or limit the number you can find to 1 or 2

Xsyon Citizen
    @ tomduril.
    -) a sense of achievement "but not so tedious"
    -) a sense of community
    -) a sense of greed "not a good idea"
    -) a sense of power "that depends on play style.
    -) a sense of safety. "not forced PVP"
    -) a sense of self king. "can do all things without the need of dependence"

Quote Originally Posted by znaiika View Post
    @ tomduril.
    -) a sense of achievement "but not so tedious"
    -) a sense of community
    -) a sense of greed "not a good idea"
    -) a sense of power "that depends on play style.
    -) a sense of safety. "not forced PVP"
    -) a sense of self king. "can do all things without the need of dependence"

You are playing the wrong game. Try A Tale in the Desert.