Thread: Ummm What?

Ummm What?

So after watching some videos and reading up on the game I thought to myself, "yeah sure, I understand its in development and has it flaws, but looks like something interesting to try." On all of the pages on the Xsyon site it lists the sub fee as 15, which is perfectly reasonable I feel for monthly online games. I head to make an account and get, "membership type: Game Account 39.99". o.0 That's like the price of many completed titles on the market.

This is a bit of feedback, I'm not a gaming hobbyist, I play A LOT of games, buy a lot of hardware. A 40 dollar initial setup fee is outrageous when there is no trial time and this is not a largely backed title. I don't know if working a fin. job has just made me become a little shewed of such practices or not, but it feels more like, "Hey we are worried you won't like it if you try it so, pay for the development up-front or no tits for you". An initial fee like that, with no description given of how much "free play time" you get from it is highly irregular, and reeks of a scummy business model. If your going to have a setup fee like that, I'd recommend some sort of trial at least. Or, I'd highly recommend minimizing initial cost, and instead make up for in long term subs. If I like the game, you get hundreds from year long sub(s), compared to me cocking an eyebrow and getting none.

These posts are getting very repetitive, but ill try to be nice...

The Dev's said a trial is on the way...

The reason theres no trial now is because every player can have and very positive or very negative impact on the physical world of xsyon... And with no tiral that limits uses of skills such as terraforming or tribe placement the game world could be overrun with basically dead spots....

$39.99 is to download the game not account setup, you did that by signing up on forums ( is it cheap ) Think of buying a PS3 game at gamestop and trying to return it cause you dont like... matter of fact buying any game as most are $60 these days...
    $14.99 is sub fee ( is normal )

I guess you should equate it like this do you have netflix or blockbuster and pay $15 a month, if you order a movie that sucks who do you blame...

Xsyon is addicting, fun still is being added to and adjusted weekly. Dont get it if you want PVP, if you like crafting, customization, and building right now its the game for you...

And here comes the typical old defense...

I never said the game sucks, nor did I ever request a refund, or blame the company for making something that "sucks". My text is already there, stop trying to rewrite it for me.

Secondly, people do suck at econ. It does not equate to netflix or blockbuster. Here it is asking for 40 for first month, flat out, and the regular subscription to follow, (which yes, I did point out as being normal). What this equates to would be netflix charging you 40 for the first movie you watch, and then regular amounts for the rest. It creates a stonewall or barrier to initial entry. For instance, take CCP's Eve Online and ignore the trial issue. The account setup fee, ( as that's what it is, you can play the game that month, and the sub follows there after at the reduced amount,) amounts to 20, and 15 there after.

What I pointed out is that 40 is 267% of the sub, which is quiet a difference from the average in the market.
    And yes, I am aware that most games are 60, thanks tips, who isn't, but that a whole other ball game if you go that route. 50-60 without DLC and per-order bonuses is what you usually see non-mmo, minus GW, go for when released. Take into account that most of those in that range are AAA to AA titles that are finished, although usually buggy, states.

I imagine the game may very well be addicting and fun, and if I'm really bored again I may check it out. However, that abnormal starting fee really throws off anyone that runs across the game, and lets be honest you really have to be looking for this game as its not widely advertised, spur-of-the-moment.

I guess what I was trying to say is, A trial would have to limit your impact on the world, and in turn would most likely limit a trial account as to what they could do.

Im sure the problem has been with the trial is how to let you experience the game without destroying the world. Because what you do to it, is how it will stay unless another person changes what you have done..

You also have to keep in mind this a small INDIE company in Stateline, Nevada, its not Sony or blizzard who can afford free here and free there.

I say go out on a limb and get it, I used to pay subs for 2 different MMO's stop my subs for a month and got this, havent put it down sense...

Yeah I imagine putting a trial into any game that has player alterable world is one hell of a headache, and wish them the best of luck in trying to put one together.

I do understand that being a small starting up company, specially in the world of mmo's, would be hard aswell. I certainly never expected free anything from a company that is trying to develop under those circumstances, but barrier to entry does likely ward off impulse purchases to try the game. I'm not suggesting free, only that it perhaps should be looked into and be brought more in-line with market of indie titles. (imo I'd estimate 20-25, maybe more if you could offer some bonus in-game or on the forums for the extra support.) Increased purchases even at lower earning margin would likely pay off in a higher sub count. More subs, more exposure, free advertising, bigger community, players keep playing longer, all possibly helping the game thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by frozencanadian View Post
    Yeah I imagine putting a trial into any game that has player alterable world is one hell of a headache, and wish them the best of luck in trying to put one together.

I do understand that being a small starting up company, specially in the world of mmo's, would be hard aswell. I certainly never expected free anything from a company that is trying to develop under those circumstances, but barrier to entry does likely ward off impulse purchases to try the game. I'm not suggesting free, only that it perhaps should be looked into and be brought more in-line with market of indie titles. (imo I'd estimate 20-25, maybe more if you could offer some bonus in-game or on the forums for the extra support.) Increased purchases even at lower earning margin would likely pay off in a higher sub count. More subs, more exposure, free advertising, bigger community, players keep playing longer, all possibly helping the game thrive.
    Well, I would advice any potential customer to wait a bit to see where this game is heading. I bought my first account in april and was really looking forward to the skill of cooking. Most people I talked to said its coming soon. Thereafter I learned that Soon(tm) is not necessarily meaning soon but more like "in the future". They have been fixing animal AI for at least 3 months during my time as a subscriber and they also added something called revenants (most ppl call them zombies though). We have also seen a cap on the number of skill points you can have in ea group of skills.

Based on the above I would say that the game is not even close to a completed stage since those changes are majorly affecting gameplay. Compare it to Blizzard introducing a completely new way of handling professions all of a sudden, followed by a severe nerf to armor/weapons.

Now it's august and not one word is mentioned about cooking. The latest message was about animals beeing checked (again) and a move to another webserver (high prio right now). I got fed up and cancelled both my subs and will wait for Arch Age or Repopulation or why not Salem or GW2. Those will surely not cost any less than this (except gw2) but will surely have lots higher standard to graphic, ui, playability and younameit.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzym View Post
    Well, I would advice any potential customer to wait a bit to see where this game is heading. I bought my first account in april and was really looking forward to the skill of cooking. Most people I talked to said its coming soon. Thereafter I learned that Soon(tm) is not necessarily meaning soon but more like "in the future". They have been fixing animal AI for at least 3 months during my time as a subscriber and they also added something called revenants (most ppl call them zombies though). We have also seen a cap on the number of skill points you can have in ea group of skills.

Based on the above I would say that the game is not even close to a completed stage since those changes are majorly affecting gameplay. Compare it to Blizzard introducing a completely new way of handling professions all of a sudden, followed by a severe nerf to armor/weapons.

Now it's august and not one word is mentioned about cooking. The latest message was about animals beeing checked (again) and a move to another webserver (high prio right now). I got fed up and cancelled both my subs and will wait for Arch Age or Repopulation or why not Salem or GW2. Those will surely not cost any less than this (except gw2) but will surely have lots higher standard to graphic, ui, playability and younameit.

As a long time vet I would have to agree with everything posted here.

Having said that, the game is a building game and working as a building game. If you like to terraform and build up walls and towers etc for no reason other than its cool looking or to see what you can build. This game is great for it.

Another thing that buying the game does is helps the devs keep going on this game. I believe Xsyon has a lot of hope (I'm starting to lose hope after some of the massive chances to crafting, and ideas behind combat) for the sandbox gaming.

So if you looking for a polished game? Xsyon isnt for you. If you are looking for combat, and PVE or PVP, Xsyon isnt for you yet. If you are looking for a building game that is still growing into great sandbox game, Xsyon is GREAT!