Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I still play and still have a active account. I can name one and I know for a fact my deed on wurm will stand for close to 2 years considering how much in game gold I stuck in to upkeep. I paid to keep it active for a very long time even if I have absolutely 0 plans on coming back. I could careless about a 4 month period for totems as this number can always change to something less. I don't see the major issue here as you couldn't loot these places until recently and a lot of new land is open because of it.
    We are talking about 4 months of non play and non pay. So again can you list another one that falls into those lines?

Heck if Xsyon had a system like that, where you use in game resources to upkeep your totem I would be MORE than happy about it. (As I already stated in this thread and many many times before).

Xsyon Citizen
    I agree with MrDDT here ... upkeep could be one solution where the "short-term" players totem would decay faster

Imagine the "typical" Xsyon player:
    - buys the game, starts playing
    - puts down the totem, gets hold of a shovel ...
    - starts terraforming the ground - starting some architecture items
    - comes to the conclusion that he is too weak for the game ( )
    Unsubbs and never comes back.

What is left for the players that stick to Xsyon: a captured region, some unregular terraforming artifacts, probably 10 baskets with "junk" or "poor" random materials, some shadow and some real architecture pieces - and 1-3 revenants ...

I dont really see the point in keeping that for 4 months?
    -----
    What about (quite complex solution):
    -) If you sub for 1 month (essentially buying the game) - your totem will decay over 1 month (so 1 month after unsubbing the stuff will be public)
    -) If you sub for less then 6 months - your totem will decay over 2 months (so 2 month after unsubbing the stuff will be public)
    -) If you sub for 1 year - your totem will decay over 3 months (so 3 month after unsubbing the stuff will be public)

So the totem decay rate could just be connected to your "subbing" sheme - that would also encurage people to take longer subs - which should help the funding of the game ?!?

What about that idea (or something similar)?
    Last edited by tomduril; 09-05-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Four months seem like a really long time to me as well. But in the patch notes today this has now changed to three months total, and it turns out that really means two months of inactivity, and then one month of haunting. Two months does seem seem a lot more reasonable, though I think one month would be enough. Or like Tomduril said; if you unsubscribe maybe it should be instant (or almost) for your tribe to start the haunted cycle, whereas if you are subbing but inactive it is fair to have a couple of months - things can happen in life where you can't play for a while.

I still dont see why they dont use a resource system.

If life comes up and I know I will be gone for a while, I will just build up my totem with resources, or get a tribe-member to help you out (if you are in a tribe).

All in all I dont think it will matter at this time, however, these are the choices that I find are just not things that should be worked on right now.

After what most people went throught at release do you expect people just to give them money?? Just because you do does not mean everyone else will... If they expect to get people to play they should be doing this , I hardly ever say this about games, but it had a bad release with most of it not finished, people where bored after a week or so, with nothing to do, so if they want to get people to come back, I would suggest leaving 4 months with the current population, I doubt guilds need the spots anyways.

So unless you like playing alone I don't see an issue with it at all, I have gave this game money even when I have not played for months, and being a DEV myself in this field, I understand, and i'm sure Jordi and teams does to, thats why he suggested 4 months... You can't please everyone, but you need to think about the future of the game period.

I dont see how holding totems for 4 months after people quit is going to get more people to play, heck most people that join see an area and wonder "Why so many tribes that dont play anymore?"

I dont know any tribe yet that have come back after 4 months and are still playing, can you tell me one?

Next is the simple fact of why have a system where it doesnt help the economy or game at all? Why not put in a system of resource use for basic resources? It helps or even solves so many things. Like economy and this timeframe of being gone. But likely if they put it in, they would end up messing it up with some really low about like 1 small log a month for a 100 radius totem or something like that.

Anyways, 4 months or 10 months or 1 month isnt going to really change anything at this time.

I have no problem with requiring a *reasonable* upkeep payment to keep your totem active since most MMO's that offer housing require some kind of upkeep payment to keep your house regardless if you play or not. However most of these games use in game currency or NPC currency for this objective.

Since the current currency offered on totems (outside of nails) doesn't really work (as in Dollars, beer tabs, Bottle caps etc.) Why not use the available currency listed on the totems as totem upkeep? This would accomplish two things; It would put in place an in game rent/upkeep mechanic for tribes and homesteads and it would give some value to Dollars, Beer tabs and bottle caps which are already in game but serve no real purpose.

If someone wants to take a break for a month or two they simply need to pay in advance some dollars, beer tabs or even nails etc if they choose. If they don't have enough, they could trade for some with their crafting skills or other items that people do want like metal plates, bone items, blueprints etc for dollars or bottle caps and pay their rent.

However I would still want to see a time limit in place like 3 to 4 months max that you can pay in advance without logging back in. Vanguard has suffered low population for a very long time and yet most of the housing areas are filled up with houses that have been there since 2010 simply because these players payed a ton of upkeep money then never play again leaving ghost towns everywhere.

*Reasonable; meaning don't make it another grinding chore just to play*

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    I dont see how holding totems for 4 months after people quit is going to get more people to play, heck most people that join see an area and wonder "Why so many tribes that dont play anymore?"

I dont know any tribe yet that have come back after 4 months and are still playing, can you tell me one?

Next is the simple fact of why have a system where it doesnt help the economy or game at all? Why not put in a system of resource use for basic resources? It helps or even solves so many things. Like economy and this timeframe of being gone. But likely if they put it in, they would end up messing it up with some really low about like 1 small log a month for a 100 radius totem or something like that.

Anyways, 4 months or 10 months or 1 month isnt going to really change anything at this time.

Yes my tribe came back after 4 months because we liked the game but where bored out of our minds.. Being a bigger tribe that tends to happen with limited content.. Now we left again due to be boring once again, but I do keep an active account. Some others do as well.

We no longer show on our forums because we have yet to stay in the game since after release because of lack of content but we do have people who came back to play all the time, we are a fan of the game, no matter if you have them 1 month 2 or even 4 months, you will never fill all of the territorys with the lack of population, so I don't get the issue anyways.

From playing games for 30 plus years, I think people like to complain and whine about everything and anything... If they said 30 days someone would complain..

PS, I listen to your crap all day in game, so the forums is the same I hardly ever post because of the whining like on this post... What helps a game, as well is having a community that is really good, and when you have a very small community players tend to quit because of the community as well. So some advice keep the drama down a bit in game and maybe people will stay.

Thats my 2 cents and i'm done,
    Last edited by jefferysauto; 09-09-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Xsyon Citizen
    Three months seems fine to me. If someone needs to step away for real life things they can do that without having to worry about loosing all their stuff. I don't see the issue here...two pages discussing this? lol Scrolling up I realize half the posts are from DDT rofl