Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hit Registration

Hi there

Was just wondering how the hit registration (how the game detects that you've hit someone in combat) in Xsyon works?

More specifically, is it serverside or clientside?

Re:Hit Registration

Why do you want to know? only an idiot would ask this kind of question. I bet you're a guy who goes around hacking games with client side hit registration and abusing lag.

Someguy wrote:
    Why do you want to know? only an idiot would ask this kind of question. I bet you're a guy who goes around hacking games with client side hit registration and abusing lag.
    Wow, an FK (Forum Killer) just flagged as red.

Gunba wrote:
    Hi there

Was just wondering how the hit registration (how the game detects that you've hit someone in combat) in Xsyon works?

More specifically, is it serverside or clientside?
    targeting was used but the dev said he's working on area attacks, this means if you face a direction and swing then up to a certain distance you hit.

most probably detection will be both, client and server side.
    client side for usability reasons (to have an instant feedback).
    this is much like dead reckoning or zeroping.
    then server side to actually validate the hit so that it can't be hacked.

consider I'm not a dev I'm guessing...

Someguy wrote:
    you suppose something you can't actually know.
    also, the question was legit.

pid73 wrote:
    Someguy wrote:
    you suppose something you can't actually know.
    also, the question was legit.
    Well I also wonder why he wants to know if its not for cheats.

targeting was used but the dev said he's working on area attacks, this means if you face a direction and swing then up to a certain distance you hit.

most probably detection will be both, client and server side.
    client side for usability reasons (to have an instant feedback).
    this is much like dead reckoning or zeroping.
    then server side to actually validate the hit so that it can't be hacked.

consider I'm not a dev I'm guessing...
    A system like this would make little sense. Clientside hit detection would not increase the speed of the feedback, really, and the benefits of clientside hit detection would be entirely lost if the server had to verify every individual hit (the entire benefit to clientside hit detection being that the client verifies it instead, so there is no errors on the user's side)

Well I also wonder why he wants to know if its not for cheats.
    Because, best case scenario, I'm looking at about 250ms to the Chicago based servers. If the hit detection is serverside, then very few of my hits will register and the game will be pointless to play. If it's clientside, then there is no issue.

I'm going to find out either way when/if I try to play the game, so it would be nice to know beforehand so I can save myself the trouble if this game isn't going to support high latencies.

I just asked jooky and it is done on both client and server.

the detection is done client side and then the server checks the validity of the hit.

I just asked jooky and it is done on both client and server.

the detection is done client side and then the server checks the validity of the hit.
    Ah, this is somewhat comforting.

However, what exactly do you mean by 'validity'? Do you mean validity of actual in-game conditions (i.e. distance from target, direction) or validity of the actual data itself? (that the packets have not been edited, that the values are acceptable, etc.)

The latter is acceptable, whereas the former, from my experience, usually ends up completely screwing over people on high latencies, as of course, in melee situations, people on high latencies should theoretically be able to make what seem like impossible hits due to the discrepancy between what the player sees and what is actually happening.

it is indeed the latter, it just makes sure there was no tampering with the data