Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I pre-ordered

Re:I pre-ordered

No, you order the milk, but they don't have a cow. No cow, no milk, No Game, no play.

Stephens wrote:
    No, you order the milk, but they don't have a cow. No cow, no milk, No Game, no play.
    Chile's is more accurate. There is a game, you just have to wait a bit to receive/play it.

I pre-ordered Warhammer Online CE from Amazon.com around March of 2008. I got to participate in preview weekends and even open beta prior to September. The game was released in Mid September and I was not billed until the game was shipped from Amazon sometime in Sept.

I'm not saying all games have to do exactly this, I was just pointing out that when it comes to purchasing something such as online games it is best to charge when the product is delivered. So Notorious could have accepted pre-orders and waited to charge players until they were invited into Beta. Or perhaps provide players with instructions after pre-order on where to download the client and logging in it but make it so that the account is not active until the player is in the next round of invites. Etc.

really it is all the same thing, depending on the perspective of the person, it just happens the way they went about it does not provide a lot of consumer confidence.

Xsyon Citizen

Stephens wrote:
    I understand the concept of receiving goods or services once you render payment. But we are not at the retail stage with this game yet. You could make such a claim at that point regarding the cow and milk. You are are not at retail yet. You are given a back stage pass before retail, like a sneak peek, exclusive access or special pre-screening of a movie.

Don't worry, many are in the same boat and are waiting to get in. I am sure the devs are working on it and will be sending out more emails in the next week or two. Sit tight and breath.

That would have been the way to do it. Not bill till you were accepted into the beta.

That way they get serious players testing that plan on playing ( paid for game already . )

Like I said, if I had known preorders were backed up I would not have preordered. Before I get flamed, I am not saying those who are content paying for a preorder and waiting are wrong. Saying me personally I wouldn't have ordered.

terter2000 wrote:
    That would have been the way to do it. Not bill till you were accepted into the beta.

That way they get serious players testing that plan on playing ( paid for game already . )

Like I said, if I had known preorders were backed up I would not have preordered. Before I get flamed, I am not saying those who are content paying for a preorder and waiting are wrong. Saying me personally I wouldn't have ordered.

The way they do it right now they only get "serious" testers, i.e people who have paid.

And this way it's people who truly want it, and pay upfront, not just someone who is buying it for the sheer fact they get early access.

You've stated, and re-stated several times now. We got it, you want in, NOW. It won't happen.

Mayb read throughout the forums a tad bit before you spend 40 bucks?

Clearly not our problem.

terter2000 wrote:

And how long would you suggest the devs wait for responses from the people they send invites out to? Because if they allowed anyone to sign up for beta then there would be 10x as many people on the waiting list and out of every batch of invites the devs sent out there would certainly be a number of them who don't respond or else they hesitate before ordering while they wait for responses to their thread entitled "Should I sign up?".

cbowsin wrote:
    I pre-ordered Warhammer Online CE from Amazon.com around March of 2008. I got to participate in preview weekends and even open beta prior to September. The game was released in Mid September and I was not billed until the game was shipped from Amazon sometime in Sept.

I'm not saying all games have to do exactly this, I was just pointing out that when it comes to purchasing something such as online games it is best to charge when the product is delivered. So Notorious could have accepted pre-orders and waited to charge players until they were invited into Beta. Or perhaps provide players with instructions after pre-order on where to download the client and logging in it but make it so that the account is not active until the player is in the next round of invites. Etc.

really it is all the same thing, depending on the perspective of the person, it just happens the way they went about it does not provide a lot of consumer confidence.
    Currently you are billed the moment you want to signup, but you do not use that credit till the game is released.

Signing up now, means you WILL get early access, of at least two weeks before game launch and on launch you start to use the credit.

So in fact, you have a credit to the game, that is likely to be allocated to something already, but your credit will be used when it starts, it hasn't already started.

You paid a deposit basically.

kiwibird wrote:
    Currently you are billed the moment you want to signup, but you do not use that credit till the game is released.

Signing up now, means you WILL get early access, of at least two weeks before game launch and on launch you start to use the credit.

So in fact, you have a credit to the game, that is likely to be allocated to something already, but your credit will be used when it starts, it hasn't already started.

You paid a deposit basically.
    Like I said, it is a matter of perspective, you see it that way and that is fine with you but in my perspective it is not ideal solution for me. Warhammer also provided 30 free days and I too could see that as a 'credit' to the first month fee, but also I was not billed until the game was in the mail. Here I have no game, I have nothing coming in the mail, all we get is: "You will be contacted with download instructions for the game client in the near future." That would be like me selling you a DVD and after you pay me I'll decide when I want to give the DVD to you. So another way to look at it, is I paid $40 to get put on a waiting list for Beta. There is a rule with many MMO Developers and that is, 'you only get one release'. Which basically means a studio has one chance to make a first impression, if that gets fumbled then it can seriously impact the success of the game overall.

Don't confuse my posts. I'm not complaining. I'm not asking for a refund. I'm not saying Xsyon is a scam. All I'm saying and perhaps suggesting is that there are better ways to say "early game world access on a first come basis" such as "Accounts will be placed in a queue based on Pre-order date to gain Early Access and will be accepted at the discretion of the Developers" or something of that nature. Or like I stated previously, just don't charge the account until they send the account the download instruction email.